You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Evra accuses Suarez of racism

NickConklin

This country in general is a fucking joke.

John Terry is a a big brave soul who shows his caring side by being photographed with a black baby when he is caught on camera saying black cunt.

Luis apparently says one word in his native language which a snivelling cunt like Evra takes offence too and he is portrayed at a level akin to Hitler.

The whole thing stinks, not just the FA but the hypocritical bullshit in the press. How come no one can see that we are hounding a foreigner as a racist but praising an English man because he is "coping" with the same thing.

I really don't get the Terry love in the media, the same thing happened with the Wayne Bridge story, the press ended up attacking Wayne Bridge because he wouldn't shake hands with Terry and refused to play for England with him. Terry does something bad and it's always seems to end up portrayed as a good thing????

I bet Rio hasn't got the bollocks to stand up and refuse to play with him for England either.

Guest davelfc
I think he was agreeing with you, babe.

I'm having an angry rant, I don't want agreement. I just want to vent and throw things and possibly verbally abuse people I don't even know. But never racially, ok.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'm having an angry rant, I don't want agreement. I just want to vent and throw things and possibly verbally abuse people I don't even know. But never racially, ok.

BASTARDFACE!

This country in general is a fucking joke.

I bet Rio hasn't got the bollocks to stand up and refuse to play with him for England either.

Malcolm Feckless is a two faced coward. Even if Terry gets off on a technicality he'll line-up alongside him and maintain that here was no proof of his guilt and that we have to get behind him.

Guest davelfc
BASTARDFACE!

That's more like it, it's times like these I can understand why they took my machine gun off me when I left the forces, and why I must never ever try to get a mcdonalds breakfast minutes after they stop serving it.

Guest San Don

Like I've said before, if Suarez had of said 'you wot, black?' I think you could argue for the punishment (but even then, seeing as mackie got off with 3 games and 5 suspended, why hammer a hardly english speaking person with 8 off the bat? oh, wait....)

Anyway, he didnt. He used his local venacular as his ingleesh isnt very good. I find it reprehensible that emily nugent's son, maddock, lipton, hayward etc, etc, are not taking this into consideration or if they are, dismissing it because of 'zero tolerance.'

What, so there is no tolerance if a person of low iq were to utter some such similar remark? There is no tolerance if someone comes from outside the UK and cultural differences are apparrent?

You cannot have zero tolerance as an unbending absolute. It is beyond reasonable. I've seen journos claim that seeing as Suarez has been in northern europe for an 'number of years' he should have known the word 'negro' was off limits.

But, this ignores the fact he didnt say 'negro,' he said 'negrito' and this word has clearly different connotations particularly in Uruguay. And in any event, are people seriously suggesting that because you lived in the Netherlands you would know all the cultural differences between these countries and the UK?

Even so, nuggent's son, maddock and lipton et al really ought to know that 'Holland' is not a country but a region of a country called 'The Netherlands' but of course, having lived in norther europe all their lives, these journos really should know this shouldnt they?)

Like I've said before, if Suarez had of said 'you wot, black?' I think you could argue for the punishment (but even then, seeing as mackie got off with 3 games and 5 suspended, why hammer a hardly english speaking person with 8 off the bat? oh, wait....)

Anyway, he didnt. He used his local venacular as his ingleesh isnt very good. I find it reprehensible that emily nugent's son, maddock, lipton, hayward etc, etc, are not taking this into consideration or if they are, dismissing it because of 'zero tolerance.'

What, so there is no tolerance if a person of low iq were to utter some such similar remark? There is no tolerance if someone comes from outside the UK and cultural differences are apparrent?

You cannot have zero tolerance as an unbending absolute. It is beyond reasonable. I've seen journos claim that seeing as Suarez has been in northern europe for an 'number of years' he should have known the word 'negro' was off limits.

But, this ignores the fact he didnt say 'negro,' he said 'negrito' and this word has clearly different connotations particularly in Uruguay. And in any event, are people seriously suggesting that because you lived in the Netherlands you would know all the cultural differences between these countries and the UK?

Even so, nuggent's son, maddock and lipton et al really ought to know that 'Holland' is not a country but a region of a country called 'The Netherlands' but of course, having lived in norther europe all their lives, these journos really should know this shouldnt they?)

I've been wondering if, under their new policy, the English press will concede that it's time to let Gary McKinnon face trial in the United States and take his lumps like a real man, not a whiny, excuse making coward. Afterall, it's THEIR law he violated, and given the existence of a functioning extradition treaty, the reasonable thing to do is hand him over.

1.Like I've said before, if Suarez had of said 'you wot, black?' I think you could argue for the punishment (but even then, seeing as mackie got off with 3 games and 5 suspended, why hammer a hardly english speaking person with 8 off the bat? oh, wait....)

2. Anyway, he didnt. He used his local venacular as his ingleesh isnt very good. I find it reprehensible that emily nugent's son, maddock, lipton, hayward etc, etc, are not taking this into consideration or if they are, dismissing it because of 'zero tolerance.'

3.You cannot have zero tolerance as an unbending absolute. It is beyond reasonable. I've seen journos claim that seeing as Suarez has been in northern europe for an 'number of years' he should have known the word 'negro' was off limits.

4. But, this ignores the fact he didnt say 'negro,' he said 'negrito' and this word has clearly different connotations particularly in Uruguay. And in any event, are people seriously suggesting that because you lived in the Netherlands you would know all the cultural differences between these countries and the UK?

1.It will be interesting to see whether we appeal the verdict, or punishment. I agree that the punishment should be the punishment, irrespective of relations between the FA and Uefa on racism. The difference between the Mackie sentence and Luis’ is inexplicably great.

2.This issue is becoming confused. It appears that a strict liability test is being applied (which is being inferred from the rules, it is not explicit, although it is arguable that it is implied).

IF this is simply about linguistic ambiguity, the case in Luis favour appears strong. The question of why it was not put successfully, unanswered.

I do think we should steer clear of those who have sought to stretch the argument from linguistic ambiguity to the idea that in fact Luis is in the habit of addressing Evra affectionately!

It may be that Luis condemned himself in the statement he gave on a strict liability basis. If so that raises further questions.

3.There are numerous examples of strict liability- tax being one.

4. In practise there should be broad support for the view that foreign, non previously domicile, non-native English speakers should be given some slack in useage.

The time for gnashing of teeth has passed. An apology for any unintended offence is long overdue.A suggestion that the FA should offer guidance to all new foreign players for whom English is not their first language on arrival would be a positive and practical proposal.

The injustice of a verdict with no adjudication, and of applying strict liability on non-native English speakers is what needs to be concentrated upon.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
If Terry is found guilty ( and I think he will) his England career will (rightly) be over.

Terry gets the courtesy of being judged by his peers, with full legal practice and protection. Suarez has been branded a racist based upon a fine and ban he got from three cunts behind a veil of self-judged authority.

Terry gets the courtesy of being judged by his peers, with full legal practice and protection. Suarez has been branded a racist based upon a fine and ban he got from three cunts behind a veil of self-judged authority.

You raise some interesting questions.

Why was Evra not prepared to complain to the Police? If Luis has been found guilty by the FA, why does he not do so? IF this is about linguistic ambiguity would a different test apply in a courtroom to a tribunal room? No Court room offers a verdict without judgement/summing up, why should we accept it?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It'd be laughed out of court. Nobody would convict him of anything for saying 'negrito' during a football match. The burden of proof would be with Evra, and there's not much proof other than Suarez saying that he said what he considers to be a non-offensive word.

It'd be much easier to convince a jury that negrito isn't offensive than that he said it 10 times and was racially abusive.

It'd be laughed out of court. Nobody would convict him of anything for saying 'negrito' during a football match. The burden of proof would be with Evra, and there's not much proof other than Suarez saying that he said what he considers to be a non-offensive word.

It'd be much easier to convince a jury that negrito isn't offensive than that he said it 10 times and was racially abusive.

One of the problems is that we do not know what the exact evidence is. But on the basis of the above - I agree with you.

The suspicion is that Suarez has been condemned by his own statement, which if true, will have significant ramifications.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
He doesn't, it will be heard by a District Judge.

Depends how far he takes it, surely?

EDIT: Just seen he has been called to Magistrates Court.

Edited by Numero Veinticinco

Even with that luxury, and even if found guilty, I bet he isn't given half the shit in the press that Suarez has been given. Mainly because of who he is.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I don't think he can elect trial in the Crown Court, I could well be wrong SM would know more, as it stands it will be one persons judgement, they wouldn't let three magistrates hear it imo

Yeah, just read that it's a public order offence. I guess he could go to the court of appeal if found guilty? Dunno much about his case (obviously!), so unsure.

Although, even at Magistrates level, he's getting a whole different level of judgement than Suarez received.

would it have got to court in the first place,because he informed the media first instead of reporting it to the fa,the ref/linesman or even the police?