You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Evra accuses Suarez of racism

NickConklin

I'm not sure of the timeline, but I think I'm correct in sayng that the charge came shortly after Blatter's comments. If so, I wouldn't be too surprised if the charge was a big 'fuck you' from the FA to Blatter, a way of rubbishing his remarks - not that they needed rubbishing anyway. Whatever the motivation for the charge, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if, following Blatter's remarks, the FA will be keener to prove the allegations for the same reason - to shove Blatter's words down his throat.

As for the charge itself, if it revolves around the use of the word 'negrito' (as a few Manc friendly journo's have said) then I think Saurez is in trouble. I'm not familar with the term, and accept that it does have friendly connotations, but I think it'd be difficult for Saurez to convince the FA that he was using the term in anything other way than as an racially-based insult.

What is so 'grown up' about using the 'n' word? It's not right to use it. I don't really give a damn if black people use it. It doesn't make it right, it doesn't make it cool, it doesn't make it socially acceptable. Regardless whether it's used in popular culture.

Why are you even using the 'n' word anyway? Dropping the N Bomb?

It's mental I don't see why people have got to use the word to make the point. It is an offensive word to many people so lets just pack it in eh?

This is like the wizards in Harry Potter not saying Voldemort!

It is just a word of the English language. The word has racial conotations due to the way it was used in the past as a pejorative, and if it is used in that way then it is of course racist. However, it is still just a word, and in a discussion about racism, and whether a foregin term should be deemed to be racist, especially when the comprable word in English is nigger, then of course there is no problem in saying it as it is not being used perojatively, but is being used in a discussion about language itself. It is all about context.

Have you ever used a derogatory word about women when with your mates? If so, its probably an offensive word to 50% of the population, don't you think you should pack in?

I think he will get suspended but it will be something like a three match ban and a fine but two games will be on hold for a year.It will be sorted before the Chelski cup game and he will miss that,especially as we have hinted on a weakened side.

All guess work on my part.

I'm not sure of the timeline, but I think I'm correct in sayng that the charge came shortly after Blatter's comments. If so, I wouldn't be too surprised if the charge was a big 'fuck you' from the FA to Blatter, a way of rubbishing his remarks - not that they needed rubbishing anyway. Whatever the motivation for the charge, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if, following Blatter's remarks, the FA will be keener to prove the allegations for the same reason - to shove Blatter's words down his throat

You are mad.

He is essentially going to get a 3 match ban because he was mean to Evra!

That, when you strip this charge down to what was actually said, is what he is being charged for.

Good job Silverlining doesn't play football, him and Cattermole would be car sharing down to london!

I'm not sure of the timeline, but I think I'm correct in sayng that the charge came shortly after Blatter's comments. If so, I wouldn't be too surprised if the charge was a big 'fuck you' from the FA to Blatter, a way of rubbishing his remarks - not that they needed rubbishing anyway. Whatever the motivation for the charge, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if, following Blatter's remarks, the FA will be keener to prove the allegations for the same reason - to shove Blatter's words down his throat.

As for the charge itself, if it revolves around the use of the word 'negrito' (as a few Manc friendly journo's have said) then I think Saurez is in trouble. I'm not familar with the term, and accept that it does have friendly connotations, but I think it'd be difficult for Saurez to convince the FA that he was using the term in anything other way than as an racially-based insult.

Seeing that Suarez's grasp of English is poor to say the least, I feel the opposite. Personally, once an expert in linguistics gets involved, I can't see the FA proving that there was any racist intent and as a consequence Suarez will be cleared, albeit with a warning regarding future conduct.

The word 'Negrito' isn't offensive in South America (if he did actually say that), there's a chocolate sweet in Mexico actually called 'Negrito. I'm not sure of literal meaning of the word, but it has friendly connotations and is commonly used between friends, it's not offensive whatsoever.

Evra said he said it at least 10 times, and the press have also said that's what he said, so how much more evidence do you need?

same expression Pacheco used on facebook to his U-21 Spanish colleague on twitter or facebook

Same expression you would hear in Montevideo if someone asked you for a light (as in mate), or if you were arguing with someone in the street (as in ' look pal ') whatever colour you happened to be.

Seeing that Suarez's grasp of English is poor to say the least, I feel the opposite. Personally, once an expert in linguistics gets involved, I can't see the FA proving that there was any racist intent and as a consequence Suarez will be cleared, albeit with a warning regarding future conduct.

The word 'Negrito' isn't offensive in South America (if he did actually say that), there's a chocolate sweet in Mexico actually called 'Negrito. I'm not sure of literal meaning of the word, but it has friendly connotations and is commonly used between friends, it's not offensive whatsoever.

I accept that, but Suarez and Evra clearly are not friends, and didn't seem to be on the way to establishing a friendship on the day.

You could be right about an expert being called in. As I said, I'm not familar with it's usage, but if the word can be shown to have racially offensive uses too then he's in trouble. I also feel that Suarez's knowledge of English extended far enough to know that Evra wouldn't take Suarez calling him 'negrito' as a sign of affection. I might be wrong though.

I accept that, but Suarez and Evra clearly are not friends, and didn't seem to be on the way to establishing a friendship on the day.

You could be right about an expert being called in. As I said, I'm not familar with it's usage, but if the word can be shown to have racially offensive uses too then he's in trouble.

You're right, they're not friends, but how often is the phrase 'calm down mate' used in an argument, despite there being no relationship ? As far as I know, there aren't any racially offensive uses for the word 'Negrito' in South America, which is the context in which Suarez used the word. There are vending machines for the 'Negrito' sweet scattered all over some South-American countries which displays the word and a picture of a little black child.

You're right, they're not friends, but how often is the phrase 'calm down mate' used in an argument, despite there being no relationship ? As far as I know, there aren't any racially offensive uses for the word 'Negrito' in South America, which is the context in which Suarez used the word. There are vending machines for the 'Negrito' sweet scattered all over some South-American countries which displays the word and a picture of a little black child.

Fair points.

Anyway, I'll return to this if and when the word 'negrito' transpires to be the crux of the issue. So far, this claim originates only from a handful of Fergies friends, and as I said earlier in the thread, I don't want to hypothesise based on claims from those cunts.

It's all about context.

If Suarez called Evra a fucking Negreito it's bordering on a racist remark.

Is that not a fair statement?

Bollocks. If negrito in his own country and in the spanish speaking world has no racial context whatsoever then it isn't a racist remark.

As a few of the newspapers have pointed out, Dani Pacheco tweeted another player the other day with the word negrito used. It was in no way racially motivated. The word is used by all accounts in the same way we would use the word 'mate' or 'pal', it isn't considered remotely racist in the Spanish language, so no, it isn't borderline racist at all.

Lets say Suarez and Evra are both telling the truth.

Why did Suarez call Evra a negreito 10 times? That's if he did.

You've summed it up. Evra claimed that the cameras would pick this up without any problem. 5 weeks later and not one bit of footage has emerged. If anything was identified, you can bet your bottom dollar that SSN would have it as headline news on a continuous loop, make no mistake about it.

Bollocks. If negrito in his own country and in the spanish speaking world has no racial context whatsoever then it isn't a racist remark.

As a few of the newspapers have pointed out, Dani Pacheco tweeted another player the other day with the word negrito used. It was in no way racially motivated. The word is used by all accounts in the same way we would use the word 'mate' or 'pal', it isn't considered remotely racist in the Spanish language, so no, it isn't borderline racist at all.

You've summed it up. Evra claimed that the cameras would pick this up without any problem. 5 weeks later and not one bit of footage has emerged. If anything was identified, you can bet your bottom dollar that SSN would have it as headline news on a continuous loop, make no mistake about it.

You've made this same point about 10 times Andy you tedious twat

From the BBC

BBC Sport - Liverpool's Kenny Dalglish stands by Luis Suarez over race row

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish insists his position over Luis Suarez has not changed and he will continue to back the striker after he was charged by the FA with with racially abusing Manchester United defender Patrice Evra.

The striker has denied Evra's claim that he used racist language during the teams' 1-1 draw at Anfield on 15 October.

Dalglish praises the "fantastic" Uruguay international and says Liverpool are "fortunate" to have him at Anfield.

same expression Pacheco used on facebook to his U-21 Spanish colleague on twitter or facebook

Same expression you would hear in Montevideo if someone asked you for a light (as in mate), or if you were arguing with someone in the street (as in ' look pal ') whatever colour you happened to be.

This is what I was wondering. Based on some of the things I've read, it seems like that term is the equivalent of a scouser calling someone lad or mate etc.

Is that definitely the case?

If it is, then this is a joke. It's like Carra or Gerrard saying to him 'shut up lad, you're talking shite'.