You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pink Floyd lovers

Redder Lurtz

What's everyone's view on Syd Barrett? I love the Pipers era and some of his guitar work and song writing is immense but people bang on about him being a genius. I can't see it myself. With all due respect I feel his is an above average musician.

I think he was more of an innovator than a genius. That said, Piper was fucking amazing and would deffo make it into my top 20.

Syd was a bit of a one-off and overall a very sad life he led.

Careful with that axe Eugene.

Alan's psychedelic breakfast.

Several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cove and grooving with a pict.

These are your favourite Floyd tracks??? 

The first one maybe, the second at a push but the third is unlistenable. 

Title wise, they all win hands down. 

I'm probably in the minority here but the Barrett era doesn't do a huge amount for me, it's a bit too twee. There are exceptions though (Lucifer Sam and Chapter 24 are ace) and i don't mind his solo stuff, but i prefer the classic Floyd period between Meddle and The Final Cut, where they rarely put a foot wrong. 

Favourite track? Sheep

Had to laugh watching the trailer

"David Gilmore the voice and sound of Pink Floyd"

You just know that Waters has seen that and flipped the table over

Always remember them getting this award in 06 in which Gilmour calls Waters a "passenger".....Needless to say Roger isn't impressed, then again if I had to give a speech with a 30ft Roger Waters behind me I'd be a tad nervous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mqnJsnFgWo

Just spotted the theatre over the road from me is showing it. So get home,get to work amd pick up my guitar that was delivered there,come home. Drink to get rid of tonsillitis and go and watch it later

It's fucking good, looked an awesome gig. Few too many post momentary lapse tunes - I think all the lyrical imagery after the delicate sound tour became a bit 2D. But the boy can still play, theband he has is tight, and they all appear to be loving the jams.

Waters is boss.

I don't care if he is a nark, apparently he and Gilmour were as stubborn as each other and neither backed down in an argument. Waters is the greatest lyricist of his generation and is responsible for a good percentage of the music too. It's definitely a case of them both complimenting each other perfectly, a bit like Lennon and McCartney in The Beatles. Neither could ever do anything as good without the other being present. 

What's everyone's view on Syd Barrett? I love the Pipers era and some of his guitar work and song writing is immense but people bang on about him being a genius. I can't see it myself. With all due respect I feel his is an above average musician.

I really like the Syd Barrett Floyd & Meddle. I can take or leave the other Pink Floyd stuff especially Dark Side of the Moon & Wish You Were Here.

Madcap Laughs was one of those albums that people used to get all pretentious about and say it was the work of genius, In reality it was largely bollocks and completely dated now.  IMO the same could be said of the early Floyd albums. Would never dream of playing Piper or Saucerful of Secrets now other than for a quick soundbite out of curiosity, Floyd went on to make some truly monumental albums but whether that could have happened had Barrett remained and had Gilmour not joined,  I doubt it and somehow I don't see Syd's drug fuelled outbursts adding to the sum of the parts on Dark side off the Moon, I think the legend of Barrett has largely been kept alive by the remaining members of the band who had great affection for him and probably some guilt in making the big time without him. He deserves credit for getting the band going and writing the early hit singles which got them their start and perhaps the kindest thing to say is that Pink Floyd would never have happened without him 

These are your favourite Floyd tracks??? 

The first one maybe, the second at a push but the third is unlistenable. 

Title wise, they all win hands down. 

Not really. I like loads of Floyd stuff. Mainly oldies like Atom Heart, Meddle, Ummagumma, Saucerful of Secrets & Piper. Not forgetting Dark Side of course. And the theme from More is excellent.

I get the feeling id really dislike both Gilmore and Waters on a personal level if i knew either.

But i dont so i dont care if they have a ego or are twats to be honest.

Same. Gilmore strikes me as an absolute fucking cunt of epic proportions. Still doesn't effect my opinion on their music. 

I get the feeling id really dislike both Gilmore and Waters on a personal level if i knew either.

Same. Gilmore strikes me as an absolute fucking cunt of epic proportions. Still doesn't effect my opinion on their music. 

It's difficult to say what he could've been because he's mostly judged on the stuff he released after his brain was fried from acid. It's best to listen to his stuff from 1965 before he started to go off the deep end with the LSD. Floyd sounded like any other British invasion band at that time but his voice and guitar playing are the best things about the band.

Apparently he was very smart and his guitar work on Piper (with multiple tape echos and stuff) show he was very experimental musically, as well as lyrically. Personally i think Gilmour would've joined the band regardless. He was a brilliant guitar player and was mates with all of them. It was only a matter of time before he was included. Although i like to think if Syd never touched acid or any of the harder drugs he would've been the singer during the Dark Side - The Wall period and would've evolved similarly to the rest of the band. Might've even made them better in some aspects both lyrically and vocally. 

Maybe but you have to wonder if Waters would have stepped in as the driving force fir the lyrics and concepts with Syd still around. It seems he felt the need to push forward and take the lead when he was sacked/left.

Or maybe Waters would have walked earlier to go his own way

Mook, on 13 Sept 2017 - 11:43 PM, said:

I really like the Syd Barrett Floyd & Meddle. I can take or leave the other Pink Floyd stuff especially Dark Side of the Moon & Wish You Were Here.

Yeah agreed, the early psych rock stuff is good. The later stuff is a bit too pretentious and stodgy for my tastes.

• Upvote 1

I reckon they would both be great to converse with, though I am an obtuse argumentative twat.

I think they both have fairly similar ethics, wrt being of the "left intellegentsia", I remember being fucking made up reading about Gilmour giving up a house to be sold with the money going to the homeless.

If Waters had been a bit of a better singer, or a stronger guitar player he may have been better at sharing the writing and credits, but then he may not have been the same creative genius behind those awesome fucking albums of the 70s.

Ace music, brilliant band, less so as individual artists, but fuck me what a back catalogue.

Would loved to have been at that Pompeii gig. The show look amazing. Had to keep closing my eyes during the heavy lights though as im sick as a fucking dog and it was killing my head.

Not really a fan of his own new stuff on the whole but overall superb and well worth a watch. Would loved to have seen the band live but will habe to settle for seeing The Australian Pink Floyd at a small venue in St Albans,only about 200-300 people there.

he could of just donated some money he made off the Floyd tribute band.....

which in effect is what he did....

he brought Wright back into the fold, post momentary lapse I'd say there was massive drop off, but Gilmour on guitar with Mason and Wright is good enough for me.

I've been to a few New Order gigs without the bassist, sound fucking amazing, I've also been to see Hook and his splinter group - the fucker wants to sing the Joy Division back catalogue - not his fucking job, and the gigs suffer for it, plus the poor bastard he has on bass gets drowned out when hook decides to play a bit.

Bassists can be egotistical wankers I reckon