You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pink Floyd lovers

Redder Lurtz

Yeah, I've got a bit of a Floyd thing going on the last couple of weeks. And?

Anyhoo - haters of Floyd can sod off. Question for fans is - what's your favourite track? Fairly sure the same question has been asked about albums but never about actaul songs.

Mine: Dogs.

LOADS of close seconds such as Mother, Pigs, Interstellar Overdrive, See Emily Play, Your Possible Pasts, Wish You Were Here.... I could go on forever.

• Upvote 1

Genuine question (not a piss take/piss on chips thing): how many of you Floyd fans are/were big bomb heads/acid casualties in your formative Floyd-loving years? Nearly everyone I know/knew who loves Floyd was one or both.

Guest The Chimp

I was a pretty good athlete Paul - if I say so myself. Ran for Merseyside, played footie to a good standard, was into my weights and boxing (I'm fucked now like). So never took anything until a bit later on - long after I'd got into Floyd. Indeed, I've still never done acid. Seen a few too many bad things happening to others and it's put me off a lot of stuff.

That said I did get massively back into the Wall when I started dabbling a bit.

Genuine question (not a piss take/piss on chips thing): how many of you Floyd fans are/were big bomb heads/acid casualties in your formative Floyd-loving years? Nearly everyone I know/knew who loves Floyd was one or both.

Personally only ever listened to Floyd once when dropping acid in my late teens. And that was The Wall.

I have mostly listened to Floyd straight headed, with odd occasion under the influence of a bendy bifter.

I love Floyd more now, than I did when I was younger. I can understand the lyrics better and really appreciate the composition of the music and the sound with trying to write music myself.,

• 1 year later...

Fearless

must be number one, it was the track that turned me on to Floyd

Close runners up

Shine on you Crazy Diamond

Wish you were here

Comfortably numb

Dogs

Dark Side - in its entirety, sacriligeous to only listen to parts.

All are considerably enhanced by copious amounts of Dr Green.

The Pulse double DVD on a big screen TV with a pleasant companion and a ball of hash - heaven

Another question for you all

Waters or Gilmour?

I'm definitely a Gilmourist.

I was clean when I started and that has been the case ever since.

Been getting back to some Floyd after a long break. I love this whole film (and Meddle too), but this is a favourite.

This brings back happy memories. I was hooked on Floyd with Obscured by Clouds myself, blown away by The Dark Side Of The Moon, but my favourite album is Wish You Were Here with Shine On You Crazy Diamond (all parts) being my all-time favourite track.

Another question for you all

Waters or Gilmour?

Waters, without a doubt. Pink Floyd were never the same after Rog left.
  • Upvote 1

woah ,theres some generalization shit right there soul boy...I've never dropped acid in my life and am as big a Floyd head as you're likely to meet

Nothing beats a nice big spliff and sticking Animals ,DSOTM or The Wall on real loud..

• Upvote 1

woah ,theres some generalization shit right there soul boy...I've never dropped acid in my life and am as big a Floyd head as you're likely to meet

Nothing beats a nice big spliff and sticking Animals ,DSOTM or The Wall on real loud..

Hey Teacher! Leave us kids alone.

Gav knows his shit.

I am going to be giving up the spliff puff when I get back off my jollies next week (been 8 days for the first time in 22 years but I got one fat doob waiting for when I get back)

I am going to sit off and listen to Dark Side as I smoke that bad boy as a farewell.

Cant think of a better way to end a 22 year relationship than ending with Breathe and my last ever spliff.

Cant wait.

Hey Teacher! Leave us kids alone.

Gav knows his shit.

I am going to be giving up the spliff puff when I get back off my jollies next week (been 8 days for the first time in 22 years but I got one fat doob waiting for when I get back)

I am going to sit off and listen to Dark Side as I smoke that bad boy as a farewell.

Cant think of a better way to end a 22 year relationship than ending with Breathe and my last ever spliff.

Cant wait.

Download this for afterwards ...you know it makes sense

http://turbobit.net/zbra67z78jrc.html

Comfortably Numb

Sheep

Time

Shine on you crazy diamond

Fletcher Memorial Home

And I'm definatly in the Waters camp and firmly blame Wrights jealousy for the break up

Had nothing to do with Rick the break up .Roger wanted him out as he reckoned his input into the band ceased after Dark side. By the time they got to doing the wall Roger wanted him out and got Dave and Nick on his side.

Roger has admitted the break up was down to him and he wasnt a nice person to know at that time. In his words he was a very angry man but has now mellowed.

The band missed his writing genius without doubt and for me the actual track The Final cut is him on the verge of insanity. It is one of the most open and emotional tracks I have ever heard it really is him with heart in his hand.

He really opens his soul to the world in that track. A interesting point about that track and the album is not many people know it is about himself as from what I remember he only admitted this once years ago and has never admitted it since. It shis ego album if you like.To me that album  lyric wise is verging on genius and waters at his utmost best. 

Like he admits nowadays he was a very angry and not a nice guy to be around. Pretty sure his girlfriend left around the time of this album because of how fucked up he was. Its her he is singing about in the track and again he wont admit it now but he had thought of suicide around this time and it was her being there that kept him from going over the edge.

He has been asked many times about that track and to my knowledge he never admits to it being him and very rarely the album either.

How I know about it was I read the interview in a obscure magazine(cant even remember what is was called now) at the time of the release of not now john as a single.

The magazine had a interview with him and it was him talking about the album. I love the guy to bits but one gripe I have about him is his shoving his political views at you in his concerts.

Having seen Roger live a few times on his own and having seen Floyd live a few times without him , I have to admit I prefer the Floyd concerts better(apart from the wall show as thats amazing) because they do it all better live than him but again Roger s voice or what he had of one just dosent sound as good as Daves does live in the slightest( live 8 shows you this point perfect).

Sorry for the sermon but I was a massive Floyd head and still am to a point.

Also dont think I am blaming him solely for ricks sacking as the other two went along with him.Dave even said a few years back he agreed up to a point with Roger about Rick.

As for my favorite tracks I cant really pick any from Dark side or Wish you were here or the wall.The reasons being to me them three albums is just one track on each of them and to appreciate a track on them three albums on its own cant do it justice as it should be heard in the context of the album.

In no order.

See emily play

Wot s ......uh the deal

one of these days

marooned

Southampton dock

The final cut

The post war dream.

pigs on the wing but the version from the 8 track animals album and not the LP or cassette or cd version. It  has snowy white on guitar and if I remember correctly it also got released on one of his albums to.

• 5 months later...