You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Use of Whip in Horseracing

VladimirIlyich

It would be interesting to see a race or two under those conditions before developing a definitive opinion.

I'd like to see it and wouldn't be averse to changing my opinion if it was more dangerous.

I suspect another reason is that the fix might become a lot more difficult.

I do believe its a crooked sport as well but thats for another debate.

That is unquestionable in my mind but a different debate as you say.

It would be interesting to see a race or two under those conditions before developing a definitive opinion.

I'd like to see it and wouldn't be averse to changing my opinion if it was more dangerous.

It'd be interesting to see a no-whip National (not a race I like) but it might also end in worse carnage.

Or we could outlaw racing as a competative sport? Do the horses take any joy from it?

It's honestly not something i'm too interested in, so I don't mean to cause offence. It just seems a bit cruel.

I suppose that's a pretty simplistic but reasonable argument.

The horses do get to be pretty well looked after so long as they are earning money.

When that stops they just become tubes of evo stik.

Or we could outlaw racing as a competative sport? Do the horses take any joy from it?

It's honestly not something i'm too interested in, so I don't mean to cause offence. It just seems a bit cruel.

You'd put 10s of thousands out of a job and the horses would just be moved to Ireland, France etc.

Rather than try to hide an issue it's best to face it and resolve it.

Like I say, it's honestly not something that interests me, so not really my place to comment but whipping any animal seems tantamount to cruelty. If the jockeys can't control the horses without whipping them then maybe it's something that needs to be looked at.

Originally Posted by VladimirIlyich View Post

The horses do get to be pretty well looked after so long as they are earning money.

Again an overly simplistic comment that doesn't help.

I'm very surprised that you took the evo stik comment literally LF, thats not like you.

There's no doubt not all horses are treated badly but where money is involved a high number meet a less than dignified retirement.

And as somebody said earlier,the racing establishment's reasons for not abolishing it are far from consistent.

It doesnt really hurt the horse. i can already hear the minds shouting "how the fuck do you know what a horse feels man"

If a horse gets really hurt it will let you know about it. It either wont run or will just buck the fuck out of you until it gets you off, like a rodeo horse. They are not soft. The whip is way below the horses pain threshold because if it wasnt, it would go crazy just like any other animal that feels pain.

It doesnt really hurt the horse. i can already hear the minds shouting "how the fuck do you know what a horse feels man"

If a horse gets really hurt it will let you know about it. It either wont run or will just buck the fuck out of you until it gets you off, like a rodeo horse. They are not soft. The whip is way below the horses pain threshold because if it wasnt, it would go crazy just like any other animal that feels pain.

So if it doesnt hurt them then whats the use if you want your horse to go faster,which is what they are primarily used for in racing?

Nobody's trying to lose,allegedly,they are all trying to win.

Originally Posted by VladimirIlyich View Post

I'm very surprised that you took the evo stik comment literally LF, thats not like you.

There's no doubt not all horses are treated badly but where money is involved a high number meet a less than dignified retirement.

And as somebody said earlier,the racing establishment's reasons for not abolishing it are far from consistent.

I bit mate.

I agree with the rest though.

So if it doesnt hurt them then whats the use if you want your horse to go faster,which is what they are primarily used for in racing?

Of course they feel pain, it's an embaressment to argue otherwise.

How much pain is the point though.

There's pain as in a pinch on the arse and pain as in bullfighting. The horse/whip debate is a bit like the fishing one.

I think the new rules for flat racing is 7 strikes, that's acceptable to me as Max Moseley could easily take more...

There's pain as in a pinch on the arse and pain as in bullfighting. The horse/whip debate is a bit like the fishing one.

I think the new rules for flat racing is 7 strikes, that's acceptable to me as Max Moseley could easily take more...

I think its all getting a bit muddled with having to count the number of strikes,I think that's a big ask for a jockey on the back of a beast thats travelling at 30mph plus and theres a prize of immense value at the end of it.

Although I'm actually a supporter of a complete ban I think it would be better if whip use is going to continue to have a cut off point for its use,ie the final furlong or two.With furlong post markers its easier to see anybody who uses it after that marker.

Also,by this stage all the horses have fought for position and its nearly always on the straight as the final furlong is almost always a straight run in.