You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Am I Screwed?

Street Preacher

If you are undecided which direction you want to take make an appointment to see someone in the careers advice service. They will have information about local colleges too. Certainly in our area some college courses starti in Jan

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look at the British Gas website and see if they are recruiting in your area. They are looking for meter workers to fit Smart meters, full 19 week training course, industry recognised qual at the end and about £22k earnings.

No previous experience necessary, they are looking for good people skills foremost. PM me if you need any help or have any questions. There are about 700 jobs nationwide in 2012.

It's difficult mate. I am the same age and been in my job for 6 years. It's winding down though and conditions are getting worse as the company knows people are too scared to fight it. Lots of people have left and I can't see it lasting any more then 12 months if I'm honest.

I think I will retrain eventually but I have no idea what industries/businesses will have jobs by the time I'm finished.

It's fucking tough out there at the moment lad, chin up.

College.

It's the truth.

You are fortunate you live at home as this will put you in a better position than if you weren't.

My mate worked as a robot on a production line for about 15 or more years. He trained part time in Business Studies (very, very hard when you are married and have 3 kids - with the permanent threat of redundancy from Jaguar) and is now a teacher. Hard slog over a long period.

You can do it.

I'm 29, still live at home with the parents, have had my hours in work halfed this year and I'm struggling to even get interviews for jobs, nevermind an actual job.

Worked in retail since leaving school with 10 GCSEs ( 4 at grade c the rest lower ) and now really want to get out of it but don't have much in the way of skills or experience.

Only positives I really have is that I have zero debt which is something i suppose.

Just not sure where i'm heading next and pretty depressed about it to be honest so i thought the only logical thing to do was to ask the esteemed members of my favourite forum to sort this shit out for me.

So what do i do next and are any of you in similar situations where you feel like you're in a low place in your working life?

Screwed? You don't know the meaning of it!!!

I was 30 on Sunday, to add to the shitness of not being in my 20's anymore, I have 2 fucking mortgages, one place is rented and I get half the mortgage for it, while the house I live in needs about 40 grand put into it to make it decent looking,

I'll be signing on in the dole next week. I've actually been out to the pub only 5 times this year, and that includes new years day

Oh, and my missus is not near as pert as she used to be!!!!

All joking aside, you have no debt, that's a blessing, if I was you I'd go to college,

In sure you probably havent a clue of what to do, but just look into, you're only 29, so certainly not on the scrapheap just yet

And imagine all that jail bait in college, you'll have the maturity to use your age to charm them little 19 year olds into bed, see, it's already looking better isn't it!!

Similar situation to what I found myself In last year, I was about to turn twenty-five, had no real savings or qualifications and unhappy at work.

I was walking past the local college and I thought fuck it, walked in and had a chat, my dad and uncle are engineers. Industrial and gas respectively, so growing up around that had a natural Interest in that. I had an interview the next week for a domestic gas fitting course and 12 months later am now qualified to fit meters, cookers, boilers and fires.

The poster that mentioned British Gas, I spent all day yesterday doing their application form, firing it off tonight and hoping that doing a lot of the training on my own time will stand me in good stead.

Just need to get a job now.

'“Listen, lad. I built this kingdom up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one... stayed up! And that's what you're gonna get, lad: the strongest castle in these islands.”

Chip up, it's shite out there but at least you're not wading through cow shit looking for something nutritious to eat, being beaten for lack of productivity, having your family members enslaved in the Emirites or forced into prostitution by some Slav with an elongated forehead.

Life's shit deal with it.

I’m 35 and I live at home.. I got a crap job Merchandising Tesco’s for a company called Carlisle Retail. I’m lucky if I can get £900 a month. I can’t afford to rent they charge too much and with my current wage there’s no way I can afford a mortgage. Seriously you’re definitely not alone.

No you're not screwed. We are in reality going through a long period of economic depression. As many have posted, take this as an opportunity to improve your skill set e.g. college.

Personally I'd go for core skills that will be in demand irrespective e.g a qualified plumber or electrician rather than pure academic courses. We have an awful lot of students pouring out of university at the moment with their degrees but no jobs available for them.

I can highly recommend moving in with a woman who earns substantially more than you, although you would probably also need to be a legendary cocksmith.

Worked for me, her husband had a massive and full drinks cabinet too. I even managed to polish off the Cinzano within a couple of months.

No you're not screwed. We are in reality going through a long period of economic depression. As many have posted, take this as an opportunity to improve your skill set e.g. college.

Personally I'd go for core skills that will be in demand irrespective e.g a qualified plumber or electrician rather than pure academic courses. We have an awful lot of students pouring out of university at the moment with their degrees but no jobs available for them.

Ah, the voice of rational and reason, is not welcome on the gf, as Sl said you're definitely screwed.

I think education and retraining is the answer particularly with no mortgage,missus or kids to hold you back. Make the most of what you can do before its too late.

The man's right. If you really want a change of diredtion this is the time to do it. You are supported at home, you have no financial commitments or responsibilty to anyone besides yourself. What have you got to lose?