You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Am I Screwed?

Street Preacher

The missus graduated with a first class degree in a science from Manchester, and got a fancy medal for the best dissertation, and she can't get a job. Not even a shit one to do part time whilst doing some decent volunteering (which everybody expects now, because they have the pick of candidates loads of them are wanting people to work for free) because they know she's not going to hang around.

The again, why would a well structured society feel there was a need to allow an environmental scientist to apply those skills at a time like this when they can force them to do telesales?

The Market: allocating resouces effectively.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the same situation myself years ago- late twenties, moved back with the parents, no job, no career, no money, no investments, no savings. No bird.

But look at me now, 42 years old and I own my own business. It costs me more to pay back it's debts every month than it earns. In fact my 'job' these days is juggling my debts, trying to keep the sheriff and the dreaded baylift from kicking me, my mrs and the kids out.

I hope my story can be an inspiration to those of you a few years younger than me, worried about an uncertain future, to fuck off and come back when you have something to worry about.

Guest The Chimp
The missus graduated with a first class degree in a science from Manchester, and got a fancy medal for the best dissertation, and she can't get a job. Not even a shit one to do part time whilst doing some decent volunteering (which everybody expects now, because they have the pick of candidates loads of them are wanting people to work for free) because they know she's not going to hang around.

The again, why would a well structured society feel there was a need to allow an environmental scientist to apply those skills at a time like this when they can force them to do telesales?

The Market: allocating resouces effectively.

It's unreal isn't it? You do what you're supposed to do, go to school, work hard, go to uni, work hard and there's your reward. For a long time here it was trades, trades, trades the government wanted and if you were looking to migrate they were number one in the category, now they've changed it to graduates (or had last time I looked). Hopefully that'll be the case soon in the UK (a renewed appreciation of high calibre graduates) and she'll find someone that appreciates her obvious talents. I fear though from what I've heard that that might be a while yet.

It's unreal isn't it? You do what you're supposed to do, go to school, work hard, go to uni, work hard and there's your reward. For a long time here it was trades, trades, trades the government wanted and if you were looking to migrate they were number one in the category, now they've changed it to graduates (or had last time I looked). Hopefully that'll be the case soon in the UK (a renewed appreciation of high calibre graduates) and she'll find someone that appreciates her obvious talents. I fear though from what I've heard that that might be a while yet.

Was thinking about that the other day. When I started uni everyone was obsessed with the web, web design was where the cash was at, when I started my IT degree the lecturers were saying how we'd all be on starting wages of 30k at least when we left and all that bollocks. Then, as uni went by, it became clear the world and its uncle had done ten week web design courses and the starting salary was dropping to around 15k, that was if you could even get a job.

As people were training though, it was clear they were neglecting trades because everyone was being paid to go to college and do degrees, whether they were capable of them or not, so plumber and electrician wages went through the roof and everyone started doing those courses.

When I left uni teaching was where the shortage was, New Labour had a hard-on for recruiting teachers and all you needed was a bus ticket to get on a PGCE. Now everyone has done that the courses are full, people see it as a stable career (the same happened with the police too) and you've got to be Brian Cox now before they'll let you anywhere near even an interview. The attitude of the universities offering the courses has changed massively, their reply emails to me have been dripping with arrogance because they know they've got all the students they need, in the past all you had to do was phone up asking and they'd offer to come and service your car.

Swings and roundabouts, supply and demand I suppose.

Was thinking about that the other day. When I started uni everyone was obsessed with the web, web design was where the cash was at, when I started my IT degree the lecturers were saying how we'd all be on starting wages of 30k at least when we left and all that bollocks. Then, as uni went by, it became clear the world and its uncle had done ten week web design courses and the starting salary was dropping to around 15k, that was if you could even get a job.

As people were training though, it was clear they were neglecting trades because everyone was being paid to go to college and do degrees, whether they were capable of them or not, so plumber and electrician wages went through the roof and everyone started doing those courses.

When I left uni teaching was where the shortage was, New Labour had a hard-on for recruiting teachers and all you needed was a bus ticket to get on a PGCE. Now everyone has done that the courses are full, people see it as a stable career (the same happened with the police too) and you've got to be Brian Cox now before they'll let you anywhere near even an interview. The attitude of the universities offering the courses has changed massively, their reply emails to me have been dripping with arrogance because they know they've got all the students they need, in the past all you had to do was phone up asking and they'd offer to come and service your car.

Swings and roundabouts, supply and demand I suppose.

The general rule of what they teach & tell you is the "future" at university is that it's at least 5 years out of date. By the time the lecturers have learnt something & learnt how to teach it, it's bugger-all use to anyone. You get your basic skills at university & then learn what's really going on at your first job

Have a look at the British Gas website and see if they are recruiting in your area. They are looking for meter workers to fit Smart meters, full 19 week training course, industry recognised qual at the end and about £22k earnings.

No previous experience necessary, they are looking for good people skills foremost. PM me if you need any help or have any questions. There are about 700 jobs nationwide in 2012.

Ditto, PM if you need any help, I just passed the interview.

Re-train. Do whatever it takes.

Also, join a transition towns network and use complementary currency to fill the gap in your consumer spending-the national currencies are increasingly in short supply, as the economy contracts (national currencies are borrowed into circulation, by the monopolists; so effectively as banks contract the economy artificially, people lose income.)

Sacrifice to save - shortage of money gets worse as you get older, particularly if you don't 'own' a home (freehold), and pensions will deteriorate in real money terms, and they will kick in much later.

There are solutions to problems, but sacrifice on some level is the order of the day.

Get out there and PROTEST...join an OCCUPY Movement. True friendship resides in a brotherhood of man.

Don't give up hope. I was the same at 28/29. However, in the space of about 12 months I got a job and met a girl. 5 years later, we moved into our own house and then had a baby.

I know things are different now - I am 10 years older and was made redundant 6 months ago and am struggling to find employment myself at the mo so we're struggling to pay our household debts, mortgage etc - but for over 10 years I was proof that things can get better and more often than not do.

Keep your chin up, mate, and good luck.

So you went from a prison to a death sentence

You can't just 'go abroad' and teach English. Unless you intend to do it for change, standing on street corners. Most countries want a qualification, and TEFL costs about £700, last time I looked.

Really? That is surprising to me, because several friends with nothing but a bachelors degree in some random liberal arts course have successfully done this in thailand and qatar I believe. It is the american college system Im speaking of, so I do confess some ignorance (whats a TEFL)?

I think as it stands i'm a little bit screwed, but maybe there's hope yet.

Definitely think re-training is going to be the key but would like any old full-time job for the time being, as i hardly have any disposable income now that my contracted hours have been slashed. Think i'll have to work on my CV as it must be one of the reasons why i'm struggling to get interviews.

Anybody need their car washed or their dog's shit picked up for a small fee ?