You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paul McCartney. Is he a tit?

manwiththestick

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

80 yesterday- https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/jun/18/sir-ringo-starr-among-those-wishing-sir-paul-mccartney-a-happy-80th-birthday

He's always seemed a bit naff to me- I was a teenager in the early '80s- long past his heyday- and this list of 30 of his best post-Beatles songs demonstrates why- https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/jun/16/paul-mccartneys-greatest-post-beatles-songs-ranked. There's a lot of bland stuff in there, and it doesn't even include outright travesties like Ebony and Ivory, Mull of Kintyre or the Frog Chorus. Still, the Get Back sessions showed him in a very good light, such a shame he and Lennon couldn't work together for longer; together they were much greater than the sum of their parts.

That list (and I bet you’ve only heard half of them) is better than anyone else’s 30 best songs you can imagine, with the possible exception of Stevie Wonder, Dylan and Randy Newman. And it isn’t even his 30 best post-Beatle list.  And imo, Get Back was the weakest album the Beatles issued after 1963, by the time the Get Back sessions were recorded, McCartney kept his strongest stuff for his solo albums (as did George). 

Things like the Frog Chorus were written as a commission ffs

• Upvote 2

Guys, I have said before that I agree this thread needs to go away, I am embarrassed by the fact I created it, I can't even remember my state of mind at the time but I'd wager I was hammered.

I'd like it if it could be deleted, I'd hate it if in many years to come and the worst happened that this thread is dragged back up.

Sorry everyone.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Guys, I have said before that I agree this thread needs to go away, I am embarrassed by the fact I created it, I can't even remember my state of mind at the time but I'd wager I was hammered.

I'd like it if it could be deleted, I'd hate it if in many years to come and the worst happened that this thread is dragged back up.

Sorry everyone.

Get back 

3 hours ago, Mudface said:

80 yesterday- https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/jun/18/sir-ringo-starr-among-those-wishing-sir-paul-mccartney-a-happy-80th-birthday

He's always seemed a bit naff to me- I was a teenager in the early '80s- long past his heyday- and this list of 30 of his best post-Beatles songs demonstrates why- https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/jun/16/paul-mccartneys-greatest-post-beatles-songs-ranked. There's a lot of bland stuff in there, and it doesn't even include outright travesties like Ebony and Ivory, Mull of Kintyre or the Frog Chorus. Still, the Get Back sessions showed him in a very good light, such a shame he and Lennon couldn't work together for longer; together they were much greater than the sum of their parts.

I agree. I dont find his solo stuff very good at all but obviously the Beatles stuff was phenomenal. A bit like certain sports players who only seem to play under a certain manager or with certain other players.