You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paul McCartney. Is he a tit?

manwiththestick

Saw him at the Isle of Wight Festival. He was fucking brilliant. Stood away from my mates so I could savour it and ended up getting treated like royalty by a load of older fellas (well 40's) from the Midlands after they heard my accent. They wouldn't let me go the bar and I always had two bottles of beer handed to me when I went dry. Fucking magical. Ended with Hey June which is one of my least favourite Beatles songs but listening to 80'000 people kids and all singing it loud as fuck was hair standing up on the neck stuff. I love him.

Saw him at Glastonbury in 2004. He was good, played more Wings/Solo stuff than I expected him to as I recall. Still did plenty of Beatles as well though.

And he kept referring to the crowd as "Glastonbergers".

• Upvote 2

Saw him at Glastonbury in 2004. He was good, played more Wings/Solo stuff than I expected him to as I recall. Still did plenty of Beatles as well though.

I was there too.

I was tempted not to go down to the field as I was too nervous.  I got over it and went.  Speechless.  Had a small to-do with these three scally teenagers who were taking the piss, as was needed.  They left and I had one of the best experiences I've ever had with music. 

Living Legend.

• Upvote 1

I was there too.

I was tempted not to go down to the field as I was too nervous. I got over it and went. Speechless. Had a small to-do with these three scally teenagers who were taking the piss, as was needed. They left and I had one of the best experiences I've ever had with music.

Living Legend.

Shame about them scallies, twats. Everyone was loving it round us.

Made the mistake of going to see Oasis at the same festival. Scary experience. Burberry, shell suits and sovvies as far as the eye could see. Real aggressive atmosphere as well. Didn't enjoy that at all.

As Neil Hannon said the next day, "it's not fair. He has so many SONGS!"

Don't get all George being the cool one stuff, I watched that film about him & thought he came across as a right fanny.

Impossible to comprehend what it must've been like being in The Beatles though, no wonder all four of them disappeared up their own arses to a certain extent. I'm just thankful for all the great music really.

• Upvote 1

Shame about them scallies, twats. Everyone was loving it round us.

Made the mistake of going to see Oasis at the same festival. Scary experience. Burberry, shell suits and sovvies as far as the eye could see. Real aggressive atmosphere as well. Didn't enjoy that at all.

Wimp.

I saw McCartney in his first tour back in 1990. The Flowers in the Dirt World tour. I still have the tour T Shirt.

He has made some dross (who hasn't) and especailly since 2000. But throughout the Beatles and during most of Wings (except Back to the Egg) he has been amazing. A true genius.

As for being a tit he is probably as nice as anyone can be who has been vastly wealthy and famous since the age of about 20. Oh and a natural born genius at his thing.

George Harrison had the best perspective on The Beatles. He always stated that the band was nothing special, there were many better bands at the time, its just that the world was looking for an excuse to go crazy and be non-conformist and they visited this upon the Beatles because they were in the right place at the right time

Saw him at the Kings Dock at some point in the 80's or 90's. Was ace. But I am more of a John man.

He's still the biggest legend alive though.

Funny, I used to work shifts back in those days and I was going in for a night shift. I lived near the supporters club in Anfield and would walk along to county road past Stanley Park to get the bus. They were testing the lights at the Dock in the nights before and from Stanley Park, they were like UFO's. Loads of people walking dogs etc, just standing there stunned. Then in the echo the following night they had to carry the story of hundreds of ufo sightings, but it was just maccas lights!

Back to macca today though. I've seen him live loads of times and he's never disappointed. I'm not normally very fussed on his albums, but I've had a little listen to the one release yesterday, and it's half decent and for once I might listen to one of his albums more than once. Maybe he could cut a few tracks out and make it stronger (although they said that about the white album!), but I think it's the best thing he's done in decades. Fair play to him, he's done loads of promotion for this album and you'd think by his mid 70's he'd be looking to take it easy, but he's not. Without doubt to me the biggest living musical legend.

• Upvote 2

Saw him at the Isle of Wight Festival. He was fucking brilliant. Stood away from my mates so I could savour it and ended up getting treated like royalty by a load of older fellas (well 40's) from the Midlands after they heard my accent. They wouldn't let me go the bar and I always had two bottles of beer handed to me when I went dry. Fucking magical. Ended with Hey June which is one of my least favourite Beatles songs but listening to 80'000 people kids and all singing it loud as fuck was hair standing up on the neck stuff. I love him.

Amazing tribute to Ms Whitfield