You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paul McCartney. Is he a tit?

manwiththestick

When i was a teenager i thought McCartney was a biff and that the sun shone out of Lennon's arse. As i have got older i have come to realise that Lennon's untimely death has elevated him (as a person and not as a musician, i have to stress) to some sort of deity, with a lot of people. If it was for his work as a Beatle, then fair enough. However, Lennon was, by and large, a nasty piece of work, with contradictary political views and a tendency (after 1970's "Plastic Ono Band" album) to produce mawkish, over sentimental mush. McCartney, on the other hand, by all accounts is a top bloke, and whilst he has always been capable of over-sentimental mush, nothing comes close to "Imagine", "Woman" or "beautiful Boy" for over simplistic, retch inducing lyrics. It would be hugely interesting to see how attitudes would be if it had been McCartney on the end of a bullet 31 years ago. I'm pretty sure Lennon would have kept producing shite like "Double Fantasy".

Guest davelfc

He undid most of what he had achieved with 'wings' but I've no problem with him. The problem is that Lennon died early, had he continued on we would probably be having this conversation now about him now instead.

Just accept the man has helped to produce some of the greatest music ever and is a living legend. That he behaves like your dad (grandad) is no reason to have a go at him.

I don't think he was ever 'cool', just once out of The Beatles he was laid bare and his cheesiness (that Frog song being the ultimate cringe) became apparent to all. He seems an everyday sorta guy, like watching your dad trying to dance at a party and unwittingly embarrassing himself.

Whatever, he and Lennon were the perfect match. He gets a lot of unwarranted shit for not being Lennon in personality.

After hearing John Lennon describe him as a 'sexual gladiator', i have nothing but respect for the guy. Apparently he was having 3 threesomes a day when The Beatles first made it. Lennon said he couldnt believe the guy was poundin and smashin birds at an alarming rate. He practically made Sgt Peppers on his own and is still gigging and knocking out albums. I have to agree though, i dont reckon i could spend much time around the guy.

I don't think he was ever 'cool', just once out of The Beatles he was laid bare and his cheesiness (that Frog song being the ultimate cringe) became apparent to all. He seems an everyday sorta guy, like watching your dad trying to dance at a party and unwittingly embarrassing himself.

Whatever, he and Lennon were the perfect match. He gets a lot of unwarranted shit for not being Lennon in personality.

He was definitely cool around the revolver London period. People always bring up the frog chorus for some reason, it's like they're oblivious to beauties like My Love, Waterfalls, Beware my love, nineteen hundred and eighty four, Maybe I'm amazed and on and on and on, the argument that he died creatively after the Beatles is a myth, he certainly suffered from an image problem but I hate it when blerts who know fuck all about music (and I don't include you in that) trott out the fucking frog chorus. Bowie wrote The laughing Gnome, it happens.

• Upvote 1

McCartney considering his lofty position in the fame rankings does very little to promote himself. He doesn't need to. His talent speaks for itself. You don't see him in all the trashy mags like Hello.

He's always been as discreet as possible with his family life, never exposing them unnecessarily. Compare the self promotion for example of Ozzy Osbourne who made soap stars out of his wife and kids.

To be honest I thought they all were bar Harrison. However, Lennon is the one I dislike. Just seemed like a bit of a cunt to me.

Same here. Harrison seemed pretty quiet and unassuming, and I buzz off the way he spent much of his life on a journey of self-exploration, seemingly not arsed whether anybody else was watching or not. The rest seem pretty tiresome. Awesome creative force the Beatles were no doubt, but as people they bore me massively, even in the early days when you see them fucking around in interviews they just seem more than a little bit annoying.

I've also always thought they seem to have absolutely no traces of the city itself running through their blood at all, I even remember McCartney being asked who he supported and he said 'it used to be the blue team but they weren't doing so well so it's the red lot'. Utterly baffling comments for someone raised in Liverpool.

To be honest I thought they all were bar Harrison. However, Lennon is the one I dislike. Just seemed like a bit of a cunt to me.

I think the fame McCartney has had nearly all his life is from another planet. It must be surreal the level of fame he has, he's handled it as well as could possibly be imagined imo. He's a credit to himself and the family he came from.

• 6 years later...

Went to see him in the echo the other year and he was incredible. 3 hour set without a break and done me a favour by playing a shite song so i had time to shoot for a burst and come out to an empty bar just in time for another classic.

Lucky enough to get tickets to take the wife and kids to his gig in December so Xmas presents all boxed off in one go. Kept it a secret so far but Im a big mouthed bastard and I’m dying to tell them they’re going. They still think I missed out on the sale and have been gutted since.

Anyway, If anyone gets a chance to go and see him live while we’ve still got him here then he’s the 1 I’d defo recommend.

• Upvote 3

Damn straight

The man is one of the greatest talents in music history

Even if you don't like country music what he has done speaks for itself.

Been active in music since 1956

Was one of the main stars that left Nashville and started the outlaw country scence

Prolific songwriter - Including Crazy

Nelson's discography includes 67 studio albums, 12 live albums, 42 compilation albums, two Christmas albums, the soundtracks of The Electric Horseman and Honeysuckle Rose, and 34 collaboration albums.

The man still pulled a number 1 album(US Country/7 in US full charts) out in 2015

Great guitarist

And he is Willie Fucking Nelson

Went to see him in the echo the other year and he was incredible. 3 hour set without a break and done me a favour by playing a shite song so i had time to shoot for a burst and come out to an empty bar just in time for another classic.

Lucky enough to get tickets to take the wife and kids to his gig in December so Xmas presents all boxed off in one go. Kept it a secret so far but Im a big mouthed bastard and I’m dying to tell them they’re going. They still think I missed out on the sale and have been gutted since.

Anyway, If anyone gets a chance to go and see him live while we’ve still got him here then he’s the 1 I’d defo recommend.

Saw him at the Isle of Wight Festival. He was fucking brilliant. Stood away from my mates so I could savour it and ended up getting treated like royalty by a load of older fellas (well 40's) from the Midlands after they heard my accent. They wouldn't let me go the bar and I always had two bottles of beer handed to me when I went dry. Fucking magical. Ended with Hey June which is one of my least favourite Beatles songs but listening to 80'000 people kids and all singing it loud as fuck was hair standing up on the neck stuff. I love him.
  • Upvote 1