You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manic Street Preachers

Gym Beglin

Never used to like them much, but now understanding them I think, not sure why. Possibly the times we live in?

I think they were very much borne of the Thatcherite generation, quite a sombre period for the working classes, and we're right back in there now.

Possibly?

Anyway, top top group.

I also was doing an Internet trawl and found this interview with Nicky Wire and Richie, obviously before Richie vanished. This interview filled me with face palms and disbelief, what a dizzy cunt this interviewer is, and how tragic I all seems now.

• Upvote 1

Great band the holy bible is my fave album ever, richeys lyrics are simply amazing.10 albums soon to be 2 greatest hits and a double b side album over 25 years. Gotta be respected.

Oh and the o2 gig 38 songs gonna be something.

Great band the holy bible is my fave album ever, richeys lyrics are simply amazing.10 albums soon to be 2 greatest hits and a double b side album over 25 years. Gotta be respected.

Oh and the o2 gig 38 songs gonna be something.

A mate works for o2 and is under the threat of death if he doesn't get us 2 tickets.

Generation Terrorists, Holy Bible and Journal Of Plague Lovers are works of art and still albums I listen to regularly.

Everything else is average with an occasional bit of brilliance thrown in. Loved their raw sound, didn't like their manufactured sound.

Their last album was very disappointing.

Seen them live a number of times live:

[YOUTUBE]FDMHvXJn0aM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]jblh5gU3fLI[/YOUTUBE]

One of my faves as well:

[YOUTUBE]ADO_1SEGF_M[/YOUTUBE]

Guest The Chimp

[YOUTUBE]EG3fou1E6os&feature=fvsr[/YOUTUBE]

Love this. Brings back many memories both good and bad, but all of which I'd never want to forget.

Gold Against The Soul, Journal For Plague Lovers, most of Generation Terrorists plus some of their stuff from the other albums are great musically, especially if you like guitar.

But nothing compares to The Holy Bible and Everything Must Go, the second of which I didn't get for a long time. It's some of the saddest and angriest music I've ever heard, and means a lot to me personally. The Holy Bible is just pure rage against everything, Everything Must Go is about losing something you love dearly.

I have to admit there was always something I found slightly naff about them, and I've thought some of their most recent stuff has been quite gay and just completely bland, but there's an honesty to them I've never heard in any other band, and in those two albums I think they touched on something that goes further than music.

Too young to remember the Richey era and I don't listen to them much any more but they are without doubt my favourite band. Was about 12/13 and my mate from school was raving about some new album (This Is My Truth) and he did me a cassette copy, I heard 'Ready For Drowning' - about a Welsh village flooded to provide Liverpool with water - and that was it.

Discovering their early records and reading up on the band's history was an amazing time. Got into so many old bands through these guys (gave Guns N' Roses a swerve though!). I agree that they're about more than the music - sure, the politics is questionable and there are inconsistencies but they've always been on the side of the angels imo. And of course The Holy Bible is a masterpiece.

If you're a fan then the book 'Everything' by Simon Price is a must-read.

I have to admit there was always something I found slightly naff about them, and I've thought some of their most recent stuff has been quite gay and just completely bland, but there's an honesty to them I've never heard in any other band, and in those two albums I think they touched on something that goes further than music.

Aye, they're a bit gay and perennially unfashionable, but it's what I love about them.

Since lists seem all the rage these days have another:

1. The Holy Bible - ...

2. Everything Must Go - not my favourite (see above) but probably their best

3. Journal For Plague Lovers - proof there's life in the fat bastards yet

4. This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours - alright, the Hillsborough song's an embarrassment but this is a beautifully down record

5. Lifeblood - terrible lyrics, awesome arrangements

6. Generation Terrorists - the timeless Motorcycle Emptiness aside it sounds dated. Ambitious but way too long for me.

7. Know Your Enemy - bit of a mess, a few great tracks some dogshit awful ones

8. Gold Against the Soul - patchy but promising precursor to Everything Must Go

9. Send Away The Tigers - send away the Manic Street Preachers more like! This was utter crap.

Always been a fan of them since the Holy Bible. Saw them at the Hillsborough Concert at Anfield in .. ummm 1997? Saw them last at Liverpool Uni last October. Hell of a gig. Ian McCulloch made an appearance too.

[YOUTUBE]Tkd4wxIeWDw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]JJw7R5FPdSU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]4Bi-jIsfsqo[/YOUTUBE]

Never used to like them much, but now understanding them I think, not sure why. Possibly the times we live in?

I think they were very much borne of the Thatcherite generation, quite a sombre period for the working classes, and we're right back in there now.

Possibly?

Agree with this - they're from a tiny South Wales mining town and are understandably very scathing of Thatcher. The NME reproduced all of their NME and Melody Maker interviews/features/reviews in one publication a few years back and, boy, do these guys hate the Conservatives.

Thing is, the Manics are old, fat and rich these days... where are the great political bands now?

Always been a fan of them since the Holy Bible. Saw them at the Hillsborough Concert at Anfield in .. ummm 1997? Saw them last at Liverpool Uni last October. Hell of a gig.

Sean the drummer is a massive Red and cites the Anfield gig as his best ever.

Agree with this - they're from a tiny South Wales mining town and are understandably very scathing of Thatcher. The NME reproduced all of their NME and Melody Maker interviews/features/reviews in one publication a few years back and, boy, do these guys hate the Conservatives.

Thing is, the Manics are old, fat and rich these days... where are the great political bands now?

Not sure them having some money changes their political outlook but I agree there is an absence of political bands and there are plenty who abandon their stance once they come into money.

I have heard scoffing comments about John Lennon's Imagine and how he was a millionaire when he hang it but would him throwing his millions away have made the song more important?

As much as I dislike the manics you can't take away their political sympathies. Nicky wire still lives in a semi in his home town and all of them contribute, quite heavily, to various charities amd organisations.

I think the music's six form ramblings, but can't take away the fact that they do actually mean, and do, what they preach.