You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steve Jobs Has Died

Guest Numero Veinticinco

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're missing the point. Jobs and Apple changed the face of innovation and design. He was a true genius.

Yeah, it's the bog standard highly predictable innovation that has no place in this world.

EDIT: Beaten to it. Forum Runner - an innovation that causes you to miss entire posts.

Changed the face of innovation?

Anybody who denies he changed the world for the better is either ignorant or sadly deluded.

He brought the GUI to the mass market in a way that we know it today, he came up with the computers that spawned the world wide web, and the very first web server, and that's even before you got into fucking iPods and other gadgets.

Do you want to maintain statement A, given that you yourself, who is so willing to believe, can't even come up with a valid example for "changing the world for the better"?

He took useful but shitty looking stuff, made it pretty and sold it for twice the price. Rest in peace, sweet prince. X

I have no problem with him by the way. A) cancer is a shit disease and B) if the higher powers that be chose to take any of the millions of mongs in our society (including Megan Phelps) in his place, I'd have taken it. Smart, decent fella from what I saw of him on my tv/laptop/ipod/ipad screen.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Do you want to maintain statement A, given that you yourself, who is so willing to believe, can't even come up with a valid example for "changing the world for the better"?

Of course I want to maintain it. Actually, I'd like to reinforce it. He change the world for the better. The things I've listed in this thread, and his other achievements, quite clearly had a positive effect on the way the world operates. The tools he put in the hands of people also had a massive impact.

Macintosh? NeXT? Pixar? IPod? IPhone?

The man has defined a generation with his inventions.

First as someone has already said, they are brands and not inventions. They all existed in another form before Apple or Steve came along. And secondly he did not invent anything, ever.

He was not a designer, engineer, inventor or anything of the sort. He was a businessman and unbelievably great salesman. The first Apple's were created by Steve Wozniak. The industrial design you see now is due to Johnathan Ive. Steve had the talent of surrounding himself with talented people.

And Pixar... he bought it.

Of course I want to maintain it. Actually, I'd like to reinforce it. He change the world for the better. The things I've listed in this thread, and his other achievements, quite clearly had a positive effect on the way the world operates. The tools he put in the hands of people also had a massive impact.

starvin-marvin-picture.jpg

Does not compute.

Man alive (pardon the pun), their's a significant portion of the world that can't afford the stickers from an apple product. Where has it had a positive effect on the world that actually fucking matters and make it stand out, and I mean really matters, not letting you read e-mails in a coffee shop or building computers or starting an animation company.

So not even a hint of ambivalence there, eh? Oh well.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
He was a businessman and unbelievably great salesman.

It's amazing anybody is having to justify the credentials of somebody who shaped the technological landscape in the way he did. To dismiss him as a great salesman is utterly ridiculous.

Does not compute.

Man alive (pardon the pun), their's a significant portion of the world that can't afford the stickers from an apple product. Where has it had a positive effect on the world that actually fucking matters and make it stand out, and I mean really matters, not letting you read e-mails in a coffee shop or building computers or starting an animation company.

What an incredible lack of perspective. Fuck it, this is starting to get boring. I'm out.

I've never owned an apple product in my life so he hasn't made my world an incredible place as it has some of you. I work as an analyst in a media environment and as such I have to fart about trying to get round compatibility issues between the Windows analytical work I do and the bloody media types who live for apple. It therefore get on my nads.

Clever bloke, rich bloke, changed some peoples' lives in terms of the brand of gadget they use. He didn't bring world peace, he didn't split the atom, he didn't conquer continents. He sold gadgets and made billions. but the worst thing about it is a 56 year old bloke dying of cancer. Not pissing on anyone's chips, it's just my opinion.

Ditto a 52 year old ex England test cricketer yesterday too.

I got more pleasure out of watching Dilley play than Apple stuff,I have an ipod touch and its ok so I agree that its fair to say that cancer has claimed at least 2 significant lives in the last 2 days and thousands more worldwide too I'm sure.

He made a phone so gimmicky and famous that nobody even minds that it's absolutely fuck all use as an actual phone, due to a shitter reception than Rod Hull's telly.

I reckon he died weeks ago, but they've not leaked the news till today to detract from the fact that the eagerly anticipated iPhone5 is actually still iPhone4.