You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steve Jobs Has Died

Guest Numero Veinticinco

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woefully ignorant of what he did, I'm afraid. Steve Jobs changed the world before the iPhone and iPod had ever seen the light of day. He also put the tools into the hands of other people, enabling them to change the world too. Anybody who denies he changed the world for the better is either ignorant or sadly deluded.

I think you are getting fairly hysterical. He may have changed the (western) world to a certain extent, but it is arguable if it is for the better. None of the products Apple produced were the first to market, they just put a shiny box and a nice UI on them and then told people they had an itch they didn't know they had.

He's not Alexander Fleming, just a industrialist who happened to be a great salesman. Feeding a modern obsession with consumerism doesn't make you a good person and neither does the exploitation of cheap foreign labour who couldn't possibly afford what they produce or creating small iterations of the same product to feed landfills and exploit the desperately hip.

If anything his legacy is quite sad. Lots of people used to believe in a cause and in actually bettering the lives of other. Now you have legions of 'fans' loyal to corporations who take to the internet to defend them. A dystopian Jobsian dream if ever there was one.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I think you are getting fairly hysterical.

Just so we're clear, I don't care what you think.

He may have changed the (western) world to a certain extent, but it is arguable if it is for the better. None of the products Apple produced were the first to market, they just put a shiny box and a nice UI on them and then told people they had an itch they didn't know they had.

He's not Alexander Fleming, just a industrialist who happened to be a great salesman. Feeding a modern obsession with consumerism doesn't make you a good person and neither does the exploitation of cheap foreign labour who couldn't possibly afford what they produce or creating small iterations of the same product to feed landfills and exploit the desperately hip.

If anything his legacy is quite sad. Lots of people used to believe in a cause and in actually bettering the lives of other. Now you have legions of 'fans' loyal to corporations who take to the internet to defend them. A dystopian Jobsian dream if ever there was one.

What a load of ill-informed nonsense.

Just so we're clear, I don't care what you think.

What a load of ill-informed nonsense.

At what point is it ill-informed? I think you are confusing a better world with a different one. You say that Steve and his products made the world better and by extension I imagine yours. What if there was no Apple? If you had no iPhone or iPad would your life be worse? That seems an extraordinarily sad situation if true. I imagine you have friends, you go outside and enjoy the sun, work and enjoy life. I don't think it would be so tragic if you had to snuggle up to a Nokia or Samsung at night. It would just be different. I never had an iPod when I was 10, but I'm not sure I was any more unhappy with my Evel Knievel "wind-up and ruin my dad's LPs for a ramp" motorbike for entertainment.

Smart man. Did some cool shit. Very sad he died. Wonder what else he might have come up with ?

My thoughts too, 56 seems like no age these days.

It's a bit mad that because some people aren't arsed about Apple products (which I'm not) they feel the need to piss on other people's chips about the fact they're sad he's dead. Very strange indeed.

In a country that mourns the passing of people like Jade Goody with souvenir editions of magazines, I think it's fair to feel some pangs at the passing of someone who genuinely had a major impact on the world.

I've never owned an apple product in my life so he hasn't made my world an incredible place as it has some of you. I work as an analyst in a media environment and as such I have to fart about trying to get round compatibility issues between the Windows analytical work I do and the bloody media types who live for apple. It therefore get on my nads.

Clever bloke, rich bloke, changed some peoples' lives in terms of the brand of gadget they use. He didn't bring world peace, he didn't split the atom, he didn't conquer continents. He sold gadgets and made billions. but the worst thing about it is a 56 year old bloke dying of cancer. Not pissing on anyone's chips, it's just my opinion.

You are clearly not familiar with the phrase, 'Give a man a fish and he will eat fish, give Steve Jobs a fishing rod and he will turn it into a big fucking telephone that you can listen to Daryl hannah singing 'under the sea' whilst fisting herself on.

Now that's an image I'd pay full price to download.

At what point is it ill-informed? I think you are confusing a better world with a different one. You say that Steve and his products made the world better and by extension I imagine yours. What if there was no Apple? If you had no iPhone or iPad would your life be worse? That seems an extraordinarily sad situation if true. I imagine you have friends, you go outside and enjoy the sun, work and enjoy life. I don't think it would be so tragic if you had to snuggle up to a Nokia or Samsung at night. It would just be different. I never had an iPod when I was 10, but I'm not sure I was any more unhappy with my Evel Knievel "wind-up and ruin my dad's LPs for a ramp" motorbike for entertainment.

I think you're missing the point. Jobs and Apple changed the face of innovation and design. He was a true genius.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I think you're missing the point. Jobs and Apple changed the face of innovation and design. He was a true genius.

He brought the GUI to the mass market in a way that we know it today, he came up with the computers that spawned the world wide web, and the very first web server, and that's even before you got into fucking iPods and other gadgets. To judge him on iPods and iPhones is a bit like judging Neil Armstrong on his interviewing technique. To start Apple, NeXT and Pixar, without even mentioning some of the amazing boundaries they pushed, is a pretty positive contribution to modern history.

It's no surprise people are paying tributes today, and it's certainly not because he made a cool gadget.

Like any death there is sadness but most people in the world have probably not even heard of him. Still great businessman and marketeer.

Someone like Bill Gates has got more of my respect for his philanthropy and actually doing something positive with his fortune.

Guest ShoePiss

"Thousands of people all over the world have also been attending Apple stores to leave flowers, notes, and apples with a bite taken from them to mimic the company's logo."

haha

Guest ShoePiss

Fucking hell some of the shite getting said around the internet on this is incredible. I hope I die early so I don't have to read the same shite when Bono or Thom Yorke die.

Apple, U2 and Radiohead fans; all the same.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I hope I die early so I don't have to read the same shite when Bono or Thom Yorke die.

Or you could just live a long life and not read it. That's innovative thinking for you.