You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mine's about as safe as it can be at the moment. I work in the third/voluntary sector and most of the work is project based and grant funded. Luckily for me the job I went for last year was a 3 year full time post so i'm ok until Summer 2013 - there were over 100 people who applied for the one job - that was before the wide scale desimation of the sector in March where LCVS alone lost 60% of its staff. God knows how many people would go for my job now if it was advertised again.

AS mentioned a few times above... It's grim out there. Thankfully the missus is a teacher so her job is pretty much one of the safest out there so even if the worst happened and I lost my job we are not going to lost the house or anything like that. I feel so sorry for so many people who are facing their lives being ruined after working hard every day since they left school and losing their jobs through no fault of their own. It's unfair.

As journos go I'm probably as safe as they come. Ours is one of the few papers in the UK that's seeing year on year increases, almost unprecedented, and they've scalped us so badly in the past that we're only just coping, if they cut back anymore it would simply cease to function. That being said, the industry is doomed - recession or no recession, and in five years it will consist solely of an unemployed blogger and a Twitter account.

sopranos+tony+agent+harris.jpg

End times, huh? Ready for the rapture?

Our company is going under a restructure. We fell under an umbrella of a larger one, they wanted a new direction while those in charge disagreed. They were put on garden leave and we have all had to reapply for our jobs. I had two interviews last week at work, one for a promotion type role, the other for a different role at the same pay I'm on now, both for different sites. Find out Monday if I have a job or not.

I'm in architecture and after 4 years of ceaseless battering (66% job cuts at ours) the whole industry is on the bones of it's arse and living on optimism. I'm relatively safe for the moment - as in, I'm not on P45 watch - but if one big job gets cancelled it'll be curtains for those of us that are left.

A mate and former colleague is off to Oman to work for three years. He's basically foregone family, friends and any hope of ever settling in the UK to earn a living. Tough choice. I doubt he'll get to come back.

It's a horrible industry to be in currently. I've been very fortunate so far, I've been in the same job for 5 years since I was a Part 1 student and they've stuck with me as a part-time student and now full time graduate. But we're the same, one big job goes and we could be in trouble; there have been positive signs over the last 6 months and we have a lot in the pipeline so I'm optimistic that I'm safe for a few years. Come the turn of the year I hope to be fully qualified and that will offer me a little more security as my importance to the company grows.

Our company is going under a restructure. We fell under an umbrella of a larger one, they wanted a new direction while those in charge disagreed. They were put on garden leave and we have all had to reapply for our jobs. I had two interviews last week at work, one for a promotion type role, the other for a different role at the same pay I'm on now, both for different sites. Find out Monday if I have a job or not.

At least you got a bit of extra time when you left the place we worked together. Fingers crossed for you mate.

Became a safe employed tiler, after 13 years of working for somebody, it goes through peaks and troughs. When your busy, your hectic, when it's quiet, it gives enough to get by.

Love it though, no jumped up prick telling me to complete a pointless task that only serves to make them look better.

Work for my local council, we've been told all of our jobs (all 103) have been removed and we have to apply for newly made positions, they want to get rid of 30 members of staff.

We had our one to ones on Wednesday saying where they see us fit, if we don't get that job we'll either be placed in any job or given redundancy. Fucking joke.

I work at a company that remotely fixes all the betting terminals you see in William Hill, Betfred, Paddy Power etc. I started with around 8 others through an agency but last week they let the others go and kept me and another three on so it's looking good. However, I'm with an agency so it's not safe at all, I could get a call tomorrow saying that they don't want me back.

We've lost about 5 posts at our place through voluntary redundancy. Only one of those on the professional side of the department. I'm relatively hopeful that there maybe no more next year.

To be fair our manager has been great on the budget side and shielded us from personnel cuts and only those who wanted to go, have.

We have someone else leaving soon and a few on maternity leave soon, so is imagine those savings will protect us a bit for the next 12 months. After that I'd hope the cuts and council tax freezes will have ended.

It's not a great industry to be in and echo Karl's and Cochyn's comments that its very fragile out there. Most big construction projects we see are public sector capital projects. There seems to be very little confidence in the private sector.

All that said I'm confident in my own ability and experience that I'd be okay if the worst happened. I could always look to London, abroad or self employed if I wanted.

I was outsourced by Zurich to CSC in April of last year, and now my role is being offshored. We're actively going through a Knowledge Transfer process at the moment.

There are still some legal stumbling blocks keeping the role here, plus the guys we're "training*" are basically useless. Nice people, but will just never understand what the role entails.

*We're not allowed to call it training, but rather, Knowledge Transfer, even though it quite clearly is training, as the guys have no mainframe experience what so ever.

By offshore do you mean India? The operations we off shored have now been brought back - average weekly wage in India is 70 quid, does not always pay in the long term. Hsbc still use call centres in India and the service is poor.

Work in retail and i reckon the company I work could go belly up in the next 18 months or so as it's been in trouble in the past and they haven't done anything differently apart from slashing hours and buying poorer stock.

I think retail in general is struggling and will continue to struggle ( apart from Tesco etc ).

Ive had 3 different jobs in 3 months, but Ive left the last two on my own terms. My job is as safe as I can expect but Im new so its up to me to get through the 6 months probation at least thats down to me. Its a good place to work and Im happy but Ive got a good CV.

That said Im thinking about getting a 2nd job doing the doors round town, to save something extra for the impending economic shitstorm and add another string to my bow. Thing is itll cost me, not sure how much a licence will cost but am told theres a job there if I want it. Sometimes its what you know, sometimes its who you know.

I hear virgin media at the albert dock are closing the whole centre in 6 months, thats a lotta people out of work and its basically going offshore.

Ive had 3 different jobs in 3 months, but Ive left the last two on my own terms. My job is as safe as I can expect but Im new so its up to me to get through the 6 months probation at least thats down to me. Its a good place to work and Im happy but Ive got a good CV.

That said Im thinking about getting a 2nd job doing the doors round town, to save something extra for the impending economic shitstorm and add another string to my bow. Thing is itll cost me, not sure how much a licence will cost but am told theres a job there if I want it. Sometimes its what you know, sometimes its who you know.

I hear virgin media at the albert dock are closing the whole centre in 6 months, thats a lotta people out of work and its basically going offshore.

£245 for a 3 year licence. Door Supervision

By offshore do you mean India? The operations we off shored have now been brought back - average weekly wage in India is 70 quid, does not always pay in the long term. Hsbc still use call centres in India and the service is poor.

Yes. The offshore team will be split between Chennai and Hyderabad.

It's not just the UK side of things, it's the Swiss and US operational teams that are being offshored from a mainframe point of view. The iSeries work that we do as well, is being near shored to Asturias in Northern Spain.

The whole thing is going to blow up in CSC and Zurich's face, as the guys taking the roles, both in India and Asturias, are just not good enough.

Yeah but thats just the licence, u hav to take a course first before you can apply for that.

SIA courses are free if you can find them. Place me and Skidders worked for done them for nothing, however you did have to be on the dole to do it.