You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

From my side I think he worded it badly. It does come across as a bit foreigner-unfriendly, but I just don’t think he’s really thought it out that well is all. But I don’t think he’s racist.

Problem is he's been banging the same drum for years now. If after all these years he hasn't thought it through yet or worked out how to communicate what he means, he should probably stop engaging mass media organizations.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is he's been banging the same drum for years now. If after all these years he hasn't thought it through yet or worked out how to communicate what he means, he should probably stop engaging mass media organizations.

This is why I find it a bit disappointing because he keeps banging the same drum. It's not like it's a stand-alone quote.

There's a quote from Carragher a while ago that his brothers struggle to find work because we make it too easy for foreigners to come here and take all the jobs. That sort of attitude really annoys me whoever says it.

If he doesn't want to be labelled as xenephobic then he'd be well advised to go easy on the "foreigners taking our jobs" line. Without foreigners the English league would be distinctly average and we - ergo Carra - wouldn't have had any Euro success post-Heysel. Current English managers are also a bag of shite.

I'm sure Carra isn't xenephobic but he doesn't half come across that way at times in interviews.

This is why I find it a bit disappointing because he keeps banging the same drum. It's not like it's a stand-alone quote.

There's a quote from Carragher a while ago that his brothers struggle to find work because we make it too easy for foreigners to come here and take all the jobs. That sort of attitude really annoys me whoever says it.

If he doesn't want to be labelled as xenephobic then he'd be well advised to go easy on the "foreigners taking our jobs" line. Without foreigners the English league would be distinctly average and we - ergo Carra - wouldn't have had any Euro success post-Heysel. Current English managers are also a bag of shite.

I'm sure Carra isn't xenephobic but he doesn't half come across that way at times in interviews.

As others have said I'd much rather he was banging on about things a) that are actually part of the problem and, b) we can possibly do something about; like smaller pitches, small-sided-games, a coherent development program embraced by both the FA the leagues etc.

The fact he bangs on about foreigners instead is either a reflection on him or what he thinks of his audience.

• 2 weeks later...

Cost us the game v Stoke after giving away a pen, gave a goal away v Bolton, gave away a pen at Brighton, woeful marking for the Man Utd goal, dreadful for the goal today (though it was far from all his fault, Reina was the main culprit). How long does Kenny put up with it? We might not exactly have world class options sitting on the bench but it wouldnt hurt to try something else.

Cost us the game v Stoke after giving away a pen, gave a goal away v Bolton, gave away a pen at Brighton, woeful marking for the Man Utd goal, dreadful for the goal today (though it was far from all his fault, Reina was the main culprit). How long does Kenny put up with it? We might not exactly have world class options sitting on the bench but it wouldnt hurt to try something else.

Its not just him though, the whole defence keeps slipping up when put under any real pressure.

Now, today, the fault lies squarely at the feet of the frontmen not putting chances away. But in reality, in most games the winning margin is rarely more than 1 or 2 goals.

Our defence right now seems destined to fuck up and let something in when we're a goal or two up and that simply cannot continue.

In fairness alot of it IMO, is the midfield not offering enough protection at times. But its the collective responsibility of the whole team to stop shite like that happening.

Obviously. He's making more than the rest though unfortunately but its ok, I respect the fact you arent allowed to highlight his mistakes on here. Apologies for bumping the thread.

Far from it.

I think its obvious hes making the defence drop way too deep at times so thus its obvious theres a problem there.

But hes not just the only problem in our defence is my point.

Him and Skrtel are good defenders but they make mistakes at crucial times, though they often make up for it for putting their bodies on the line and putting in superhuman performances.

Johnson also can often look like hes on holidays defensively and just nowhere to be seen. Think Kelly is better defensively but doesn't offer half the threat going forward.

Enrique has been solid in fairness, probably the only 100% strong link in our defence at present.

Are you a bit thick? If I was blaming him for everything I'd be listing the Sunderland and Wolves goals but they werent his fault so I didnt. God help Kenny when he does drop him, he's going to get some incredible abuse on this site.

You listed 4 incidents of him being at fault for stuff.

And I find it hilarious you're moaning about people having a go at things on here, when you're having a go at Carra.

You listed 4 incidents of him being at fault for stuff.

What the hell is wrong with that? Or do you think giving away penalties like he has twice this season is normal? And his marking on Welbeck was shocking, followed by an equally bit of shocking defending from Skrtel.

Are you honestly saying I'm not allowed to talk about some errors he's made?

You can add todays "positioning? What positioning" debacle to the list of comedy Carragher defensive errors that would be side-splittingly funny If he didn't play for us to if you like. I saw that goal coming a mile off; The minute, the cross was away - It was clear we were in trouble and I don't need to name just whose fault it was that it was like that do I? He's been declining for a while now but today really was the nadir in an alarmingly lengthening list that is beginning to tarnish his good work for us in the past; Yes, last week was none to clever either though Skrtel was involved there as well as Carragher but today? All his own work - More's the pity..................

Its not just him though, the whole defence keeps slipping up when put under any real pressure.

Now, today, the fault lies squarely at the feet of the frontmen not putting chances away. But in reality, in most games the winning margin is rarely more than 1 or 2 goals.

Our defence right now seems destined to fuck up and let something in when we're a goal or two up and that simply cannot continue.

In fairness alot of it IMO, is the midfield not offering enough protection at times. But its the collective responsibility of the whole team to stop shite like that happening.

I think the coaching staff have a lot to answer for. We're conceding goals at decisive moments in games through either a lack of concentration or appalling fitness levels, I can't help but wonder about the alleged brilliance of Steve Clarke(who was being lauded up and down here last season) and whoever it is we've got monitoring the players' fitness.

Again, one might ask if we've misused preseason with our globetrotting, intermittent use of first team players and general contempt. There's no doubt we fade badly in games, invite pressure and create this self-fulfiling prophecy which ends in us predictably conceding.

If you reverse the halves, it's actually a lot like our early home games in 08-09(including the expensive striker on the bench who we're reluctant to play as we've no idea how to use him) and I fear the established pattern may be hard to break.

Stoke pen was a pen although a little harsh so I will give you that.

Bolton was a mistake.

Brighton was Spearings fault don't care what anyone says.

Man U was Skrtels fault although he slipped so was one of them things.

Reinas fault today. No-one elses.

People will actually try and go out of there way to find something Carragher may have done in a build up to a goal and blame him directly for it.

Is it his last season, probably.

Are his critics a bit embarrassing sometimes, most definitely.

Reinas fault today. No-one elses.

No one elses fault in the slightest? How come Grant Holt was getting a header in our box then? Isnt it a defenders job to you know, stop strikers getting a free header so close to our goal? Was bad by Johnson and Carra. Reina was the main culprit though as he give the guy an open goal but he wasnt alone.

No one elses fault in the slightest? How come Grant Holt was getting a header in our box then? Isnt it a defenders job to you know, stop strikers getting a free header so close to our goal? Was bad by Johnson and Carra. Reina was the main culprit though as he give the guy an open goal but he wasnt alone.

Keeper comes for the ball he better get it, he doesn't it's his fault