You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Motown/Soul/R&B/Funk

Sugar Ape

I've been listening to this album a lot recently, it's a double so pretty sprawling but it's worth the effort.

Mad backstory too as the album is about his marriage/divorce to Anna Gordy, as part of the divorce agreement she was to get all the profits made on it. Gaye deliberately went about making it shite as a result & the daft bastard couldn't even manage that...

Image result for here my dear

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've been on a bit of an Ohio Players kick recently, just picked up their three Westbound albums (Pleasure, Pain & Ecstasy) for £23 & looking forward to getting stuck into them now. My kids were dancing about to Jump by Van Halen yesterday so I need to entice them away from that 80s pish with some funk...

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ages ago, I picked up a cheapo compilation CD with loads of good stuff - Sam & Dave, James Brown, etc.  Best thing is, it was called "Something or Other, Vol II" and you could almost write the tracklist from Vol I, because it had people's second-best known songs, like these gems.

When I was growing up, I was lucky enough to have 3 brothers and 3 sisters who all had decent record collections, with fairly diverse tastes.  But there was one album that each of us, at some point or another, would swipe and stash in our own collections, to the point that nobody quite remembers whose album it originally was.

220px-Miracles-greatesthitsv2.jpg

And why not?  It's a work of genius.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My sister-in-law died in January.  She really was the loveliest, kindest, funniest,truest person you could hope to meet.  She and my brother had been together since they were teenagers.  They'd both retired towards the end of last year and were finally going to be able to spend some time together.  This was always their song, from when they first met; their first dance when they got married; every family do ever since, this would get played and they would be the same loved-up teenagers they ever were.

When they played it at the crematorium, it just broke me.