You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Motown/Soul/R&B/Funk

Sugar Ape

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea, through the years in bands I played each (alto, tenor and Bari) as well as trombone.

Nowadays I only use the tenor.

Nice one, never had the time or confidence to play in a band. Didn't pick the sax up until later in life and only wanted to play the music I wanted to play.

On 12/11/2021 at 00:10, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I was watching Impossible the other day and Holland-Dozier-Holland were mentioned, which prompted me to find this playlist. 

It's rather good.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0znUlgdejcel3epZrxHF4c?si=sUi_DdyZT_eCbYiDoV05mg&utm_source=copy-link

Hell of a playlist, however.

I so miss turntables and vinyl. I have mentioned before that my entire record collection was stolen by Daughters tramp of a boyfriend.

That was around 1989 when vinyl was on the wane.

So now I have Spotify and listening to music just isn't the same. No recreation of classics like What's Going On, excitement of new stuff coming out. Downloaded albums that I most probably won't play.

Put an album on, half way through a track jump to the next track, different album. 

I miss my music so much.

Go to a music bingo here on Friday nights, sex machine comes on and the body gets in the groove(though I ain't getting up and doing the Funky Penguin dance) it plays for 30ish seconds. Just fuck off streaming/downloads etc. Give me back my vinyl.

2 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

I so miss turntables and vinyl. I have mentioned before that my entire record collection was stolen by Daughters tramp of a boyfriend.

So now I have Spotify and listening to music just isn't the same. No recreation of classics like What's Going On, excitement of new stuff coming out. Downloaded albums that I most probably won't play.

Put an album on, half way through a track jump to the next track, different album. 

I miss my music so much.

Go to a music bingo here on Friday nights, sex machine comes on and the body gets in the groove(though I ain't getting up and doing the Funky Penguin dance) it plays for 30ish seconds. Just fuck off streaming/downloads etc. Give me back my vinyl.

You didnt mention the smell of vinyl. I can still remember the smell of vinyl when you walked into Edwards in Kenny.

4 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

I miss my music so much.

There was something about the thrill of the chase, too. You'd read an interview in Smash Hits with someone saying they were influenced by the Velvet Underground, for example; you'd never heard anything by them, but you were intrigued. Then one day you'd find out that your mate's brother's mate had a copy of Velvet Underground and Nico, so you'd arrange to go round their house one day, specifically to pay homage to this sacred object (and to share the experience of hearing European Son for the first time).

Now you get instant gratification: as soon as you know a track exists you can listen to it.

As Dylan said "You give something up for everything you gain."

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

There was something about the thrill of the chase, too. You'd read an interview in Smash Hits with someone saying they were influenced by the Velvet Underground, for example; you'd never heard anything by them, but you were intrigued. Then one day you'd find out that your mate's brother's mate had a copy of Velvet Underground and Nico, so you'd arrange to go round their house one day, specifically to pay homage to this sacred object (and to share the experience of hearing European Son for the first time).

Now you get instant gratification: as soon as you know a track exists you can listen to it.

As Dylan said "You give something up for everything you gain."

This little stroll down memory lane makes me want to raise an overdue glass to the curator of the music section of Runcorn Shopping City Library in the early Eighties. In hindsight, their collection of blues albums was mighty impressive.

8 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

This little stroll down memory lane makes me want to raise an overdue glass to the curator of the music section of Runcorn Shopping City Library in the early Eighties. In hindsight, their collection of blues albums was mighty impressive.

Great places those little independant record shops.

19 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Me too.

She pissed me off that night with number of costume changes. She was the worst gig I ever saw and I saw George mcCrae and his bird.

Yeah it was more of a show suited to a posh supper club. Having said that she could throw out a tune and knew how to milk and audience.