You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Motown/Soul/R&B/Funk

Sugar Ape

11 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Yea mate. Beautiful place and nice people. Fuck me it's hot at the minute.

To come from a pond in Nogsy to a pool in Turkey ain't a bad swap.

Hope plan A works out for you as it's tough not seeing the family with Covid and Boris holier than the rest of the world attitude.

Family on my mams side all from Nogsy they all went to St Theresa's 

3 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Thanks mate been on the waiting list for 3 years now. I liked the area over Fetiyah(Sp?) way looks beautiful

Some wait that, although again Covid can't be helping.

Fethiye (✓) is very nice. About 40 minutes away and the source of a good day out and some of the worst driving by Turks. Triple parking at times and traffic police do nothing 

44 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Don't want to go all Alan Partridge but if I had to name my favourite Isley Brothers album I would have to say ...

Greatest hits. Don't think there's a bad track on it.

Give this one a go...

R-8070709-1460212571-8626.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Clem H Fandango said:

Excuse my fat fingers and tiny phone. Yes the meters are amazing. A lot of there tunes and riffs get sampled.

Ha ha, happens to us all.

As I said, totally passed me by, which I find very surprising considering I was buying those packs of 100 soul singles if you can remember them?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Really, somehow passed me by.

Just checked their discography and nothing jumps out at me.

Is it all instrumental?

No man - have you heard of the Neville Brothers?

Art Neville was the lead singer in the Meters. They were also the studio band for Allan Toussaint (Southern Nights - he also wrote Brickyard Blues and produced the Frankie Miller version of that which is a couple pages back.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Art Neville was the lead singer in the Meters. They were also the studio band for Allan Toussaint (Southern Nights - he also wrote Brickyard Blues and produced the Frankie Miller version of that which is a couple pages back.

First time  i have heard these guys, reminded me of Booker T in parts. The instrumental ones that is.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Heard of the Neville brothers but they didn't really do anything for me.

Think it depends on what genre of music you are into.

I was Motown/Philly/James Brown and the like which I think you can see from the live stuff I saw.

Not to say I wouldn't strut my stuff to this and similar.

On 12/07/2021 at 17:59, DalyanPete said:

Saw Bobby at the Philharmonic not long before he died. Really good gig despite being not very well. Had to be held up at one point but the voice was still there.

Across 110th street was stunning.

First time I've heard that song, its a fuckin belter

On 03/10/2011 at 10:27, SammyAftershave said:

awbd.jpg

My ability to embed has mysteriously deserted me.

Superb album by Dundee's finest. Criminally underrated. Not a weak track on it.

and from another album featuring Hamish on hair:

Awesome band and as you say very underrated

• Upvote 1

On 09/01/2017 at 14:32, Mook said:

Let's get in on by Marvin Gaye has kind of become a bit of a comedy thing now but if you listen to the album, it's fucking amazing, some of the stuff the rhythm section are playing is out of this World & the vocal on If I should die tonight is arguably his best ever in my opinion.

Quiet Storm by Smokey Robinson is another good Motown album which doesn't get a lot of recognition.

If I should die tonight.....brilliant

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1