You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Motown/Soul/R&B/Funk

Sugar Ape

2 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Very lucky(due to age) seen most top soul acts down the years.

Top three in reverse order, all at the Empire.

3. Jackson 5.

2. Temptations.

1. Marvin Gaye, favourite singer of all time.

Pissed off as I missed all of them. Saw Junior Walker and Diana Ross on the Empire. Junior Walker was star of the show IMO that man could make the sax sing

Very lucky(due to age) seen most top soul acts down the years.

Top three in reverse order, all at the Empire.

3. Jackson 5.

2. Temptations.

1. Marvin Gaye, favourite singer of all time.

Marvin is my fave singer also. Lets Get It On and Whats Going on my two fave albums.

50 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

Seen a few over the years. 

1. Marvin (twice). Deffo the best

2. Bobby Womack

3. Temps and 4 Tops together

4. George Benson

5. Archie Bell and the Drells

Probably forgotten one or two. It's me age.

Some great acts there, Levi Stubbs from the 4 Tops another great voice

41 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

Seen a few over the years. 

1. Marvin (twice). Deffo the best

2. Bobby Womack

3. Temps and 4 Tops together

4. George Benson

5. Archie Bell and the Drells

Probably forgotten one or two. It's me age.

Ha ha me too mate.

How/when did you see Marvin twice? I felt blessed with the one 

Although I could add, James Brown, Al green, junior walker and loads more.

More recent was Mary(2.5 hours late)J Blige.

Seen both temps and tops separate and together but stopped with them both when they became like the benidorm drifters 

1 hour ago, CapeRed said:

Marvin is my fave singer also. Lets Get It On and Whats Going on my two fave albums.

Oh man, remember buying What's Going On, blew me away and still does. Think Save the  Children was the first single?

Remember listening to Radio Luxembourg the night he was killed and shedding a tear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CapeRed said:

Pissed off as I missed all of them. Saw Junior Walker and Diana Ross on the Empire. Junior Walker was star of the show IMO that man could make the sax sing

I was going to say I thought Diana(20 costume changes) was the worst just because of that.

Junior inspired me to buy a sax many years later.

43 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Ha ha me too mate.

How/when did you see Marvin twice? I felt blessed with the one 

Although I could add, James Brown, Al green, junior walker and loads more.

More recent was Mary(2.5 hours late)J Blige.

Seen both temps and tops separate and together but stopped with them both when they became like the benidorm drifters 

First time was at the Albert Hall 1976. First time he'd ever played in the UK. Second time was the same venue. 1984 I think.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

I was going to say I thought Diana(20 costume changes) was the worst just because of that.

Junior inspired me to buy a sax many years later.

Fuck my one regret is that I didnt take up my mrs offer to buy me a sax as a present way back. Have you ever listened to Gato Barbieri?

34 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Oh man, remember buying What's Going On, blew me away and still does. Think Save the  Children was the first single?

Remember listening to Radio Luxembourg the night he was killed and shedding a tear.

I think the single Whats Going on was 1st. He released Savevthe Children, Mercy mercy Me and Inner city blues all around the same time I think.

2 hours ago, CapeRed said:

Fuck my one regret is that I didnt take up my mrs offer to buy me a sax as a present way back. Have you ever listened to Gato Barbieri?

Ha ha, same story as me with the sax.

We where in Cardiff for Springsteen, Mrs wanted to buy it for me, went back the next day and shop was shut!

Got one off eBay for a ton.

If I pluck up the courage I will put a video up.

Nah I haven't. Will look him up later 

5 hours ago, CapeRed said:

Just had a listen to Bolivia, not for me and sounded like music from a dirty Harry film 

But then "I want you" loved it.

Will look at more now.

I want you is one of my favourite tracks both my Marvin and Robert Palmer

1 hour ago, DalyanPete said:

Just had a listen to Bolivia, not for me and sounded like music from a dirty Harry film 

But then "I want you" loved it.

Will look at more now.

I want you is one of my favourite tracks both my Marvin and Robert Palmer

Ha yeah some of his stuff is not great I want you is awesome. Take a listen to Europa, I heard that first in Virgin St Johns Precinct and bought the album without hearing any other tracksAs far as the late great Mr Gaye I loved all of his stuff. The  Let's Get it On album was my go to choice when I brought a girl home, guaranteed success!

40 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Ha yeah some of his stuff is not great I want you is awesome. Take a listen to Europa, I heard that first in Virgin St Johns Precinct and bought the album without hearing any other tracks. As far as the late great Mr Gaye I loved all of his stuff. The  Let's Get it On album was my go to choice when I brought a girl home, guaranteed success!

12 hours ago, CapeRed said:

Ha yeah some of his stuff is not great I want you is awesome. Take a listen to Europa, I heard that first in Virgin St Johns Precinct and bought the album without hearing any other tracksAs far as the late great Mr Gaye I loved all of his stuff. The  Let's Get it On album was my go to choice when I brought a girl home, guaranteed success!

Gato does some really smooth stuff, Europa especially. Kudos to you for picking up on that.

Remember seeing Branson sitting on the floor in that virgin shop and I was thinking, "we're very similar me and you!"

Turned out rather well and still applies today although I haven't been to space.

Gato does some really smooth stuff, Europa especially. Kudos to you for picking up on that.

Remember seeing Branson sitting on the floor in that virgin shop and I was thinking, "we're very similar me and you!"

Turned out rather well and still applies today although I haven't been to space.

I gather you live in Dalyan ? Looks a nice place, we are waiting for a visa to join our kids in Oz . Had a look for a plan B alternative and Turkey looked a good option.

10 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

I gather you live in Dalyan ? Looks a nice place, we are waiting for a visa to join our kids in Oz . Had a look for a plan B alternative and Turkey looked a good option.

Yea mate. Beautiful place and nice people. Fuck me it's hot at the minute.

To come from a pond in Nogsy to a pool in Turkey ain't a bad swap.

Hope plan A works out for you as it's tough not seeing the family with Covid and Boris holier than the rest of the world attitude.

5 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Yea mate. Beautiful place and nice people. Fuck me it's hot at the minute.

To come from a pond in Nogsy to a pool in Turkey ain't a bad swap.

Hope plan A works out for you as it's tough not seeing the family with Covid and Boris holier than the rest of the world attitude.

Thanks mate been on the waiting list for 3 years now. I liked the area over Fetiyah(Sp?) way looks beautiful