You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Motown/Soul/R&B/Funk

Sugar Ape

Love all the above. I'd like to get a few videos on here and a bit of a discussion. Nothing posted later than the 80's please.

Growing up I can remember when we got a CD player, only cd's we had for ages where the best of Buddy Holly, Marvin Gaye Greatest Hits, Robert Palmer, The Drifters and the best of the Chi-lites.

No matter what other genres I love, I come back to the above time again. So many great songs.

I love this, but it upsets me every time I hear it. Lovely sentiments.

[YOUTUBE]FrkEDe6Ljqs[/YOUTUBE]

First dance at my wedding. And, I must say, one of the best live performances I have ever seen.

[YOUTUBE]qiI42aZ5F40[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]2vf3ZE7CLg0[/YOUTUBE]

Get onto Noel Edmonds introducing this :

[YOUTUBE]rqE4PF1zDFo[/YOUTUBE]

Is there a sadder story than what happened to this man?

[YOUTUBE]k1odvp-_bhk[/YOUTUBE]

Love all that stuff

Heatwave were a great live band, as were the Commodores. The guy on the organ referred to in the Heatwave vid went on to write all sorts of stuff, including Thriller, Rock With You and lots of others for Michael Jackson.

Watch this for a live performance... it's easy to forget how cool Sesame Street was

[YOUTUBE]_ul7X5js1vE[/YOUTUBE]

Love all that stuff

Heatwave were a great live band, as were the Commodores. The guy on the organ referred to in the Heatwave vid went on to write all sorts of stuff, including Thriller, Rock With You and lots of others for Michael Jackson.

Watch this for a live performance... it's easy to forget how cool Sesame Street was

[YOUTUBE]_ul7X5js1vE[/YOUTUBE]

Nice vid Stringy.

Yeah Rod Temperton, mad thing is he is from Cleethorpes! Who would have though Thriller came from someone from Lincolnshire!

The missus is out tonight, I'm considering trying to woo her when she gets in with this, probably won't work but you never know

[YOUTUBE]BKPoHgKcqag[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]zq6XRtb82uk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]IwuO2dfqrF4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]wSF6hh2QlCg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]FGVGFfj7POA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]P9iiO-EVb-A[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]3s3SNHIH0bs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]L2cHkMwzOiM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]7pVWBKqFFLw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]yd9AEGQkobc[/YOUTUBE]

Otis Redding - Try A Little Tenderness - YouTube

Don't know how to embed.

I never listened to any of this music as a kid, not cool, etc. But as you grow up you figure out you should listen to what you like, rather than what you're supposed to like.

It's another Otis Redding song: "Try a Little Tenderness".

Soul music.

• 2 weeks later...

[YOUTUBE]sp3JOzcpBds[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ziQBMIBdB9g[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]A73f2AzKBAY[/YOUTUBE]

Ace.

[YOUTUBE]zkXi-hIdYME[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]0HQEhuylZmg[/YOUTUBE]

Fuck it, the full version of this is awesome.

[YOUTUBE]zZe9OtFNt_8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ltRwmgYEUr8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Ll6LLGePYwM[/YOUTUBE]

I know it's probably terrible, but I only like this type of music in very small doses.

And by that, I mean sampled as a bassline, drum loop, or similar sample in hiphop records.

No disrespect to Nat Adderley, but I don't want to listen to "Rise, Sally, Rise",

I want to hear "Know The Ledge" by Erik B and Rakim at fucking ELEVEN.

Motown is class. Bass player James Jamerson laid down the groove in virtually all of the classic motown tracks. Incredibly fluid player that contributed greatly to the overall Motown sound.

Some outstanding tracks from a great era.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Red Dawn

Motown is class. Bass player James Jamerson laid down the groove in virtually all of the classic motown tracks. Incredibly fluid player that contributed greatly to the overall Motown sound.

Some outstanding tracks from a great era.

[YOUTUBE]fhcflDSUMvc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]iMs9NudasVI[/YOUTUBE]

Just past the last bit of the link, i.e. fhcflDSUMvc between the Youtube tags mate.

• 5 months later...