You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shelvey.

Bogman

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good move for Shelvey.. Championship is about his level at the moment..

Agree about that. He'll make the natural progress from this season and then he can go on loan at a club on Premier League level next season. We should probably let the likes of Flanagan, Robinson and Wilson go on loan as well. They need to play on a higher level than the reserves.

Agree about that. He'll make the natural progress from this season and then he can go on loan at a club on Premier League level next season. We should probably let the likes of Flanagan, Robinson and Wilson go on loan as well. They need to play on a higher level than the reserves.

Robinson is our second choice left back at the minute. Theres no way he should go on loan.

Robinson is our second choice left back at the minute. Theres no way he should go on loan.

Nottingham Forest don't have a recognised left back and he'd become the best player at the club if he went there. Maybe just a short term loan of 1-2 months could help him. He is a real talent and we should do whatever we can to help him reach his potential.

Sure, but we have to have a long-term perspective on player development. Maybe bring in someone else to cover for Enrique, but the most promising young lads should be playing in a proper league at a proper level. Not the reserves/upper under-18's league.

That was a good performance from Shelvey by all accounts.

My uncle lives just outside Blackpool and goes to watch them when he's not watching the Blueshite. He says it's therapeutic watching Blackpool.

He said Shelvey played a blinder and reckons we have a good player on our hands, and I agree with him.

The lad is only 18 and he's already being written off.

Code has had a mare on this thread, bit like any centre back playing against Suarez.

How anyone can even suggest I`ve been wrong in this thread is a bit strange to say the least.

Are people actually suggesting that because a player scored a goal in a thrashing of the worst team in the Championship the loan spell is a success?

If Shelvey comes back an improved player after his time there it will have been a success, if not its been a waste.

As I said in my first post in this thread, the Championship is about his level so he will obviously perform to a decent standard there.

If its only until Christmas that changes things a bit as well as thats just a couple of months and not a full season.

How anyone can even suggest I`ve been wrong in this thread is a bit strange to say the least.

Hahahahahahaha!

I'll take the bait.

Well you state that "He will not improve much in the Championship if anything at all.", your proof being that "How many players have really improved after a loan spell in the Championship?"

A number of people have mentioned a number of players that have been loaned to the Championship, and have improved becasue of it. The fact the some of those have since been loaned to the Premiership does not discredit that arguement, it infact strengthens it, as in all likelihood they were able to get the loans to the Prem following their succesful loan in the Championship.

So its quite clear how a number of us have had the teremity to suggest you are wrong.

Then there is also

When it comes to his development as a player I doubt it will make him any good as he will be pretty average and not stand out in any game

Seeing that he has played one game, and stood out in it, regardless of whether the loan improves him or not, you're wrong on the bolded part already. That's a bit like getting bowled out first ball.

Sure, but we have to have a long-term perspective on player development. Maybe bring in someone else to cover for Enrique, but the most promising young lads should be playing in a proper league at a proper level. Not the reserves/upper under-18's league.

Robinson and Flanagan are being done a bit of an injustice at the moment, Wilson as well.

They aren't playing first-team games and they aren't playing for the reserves either, so basically they're not playing football matches. All because they're needed for the matchday squad and on the bench in case a defender gets injured.

But then when Kelly and Johnson are both injured it's Skrtel that comes in for three games at right back with Flanagan still stuck on the bench. If you don't trust him for the first team at least let him play in the reserves.

Oh dear, not one player of the players mentioned so far have really improved after a loan spell in the Championship.

Ridiculous.

What measure are you using, Code?

I am using one whereby if the player progresses to a higher level/better club after playing in the Ch'ship, it's normally a surefire sign said player is improving. Surely, you agree? No?

I think you may be arguing for the sake of it to save face here, Code! You don't really have logic in your corner!

What measure are you using, Code?

I am using one whereby if the player progresses to a higher level/better club after playing in the Ch'ship, it's normally a surefire sign said player is improving. Surely, you agree? No?

I think you may be arguing for the sake of it to save face here, Code! You don't really have logic in your corner!

These players already found themselves at PL clubs in the first place so I`m not sure I can go along with that kind of logic as I see no logic in it.

The fact this loan now only is for a couple of months kind of changes my stance a bit though, but the general point still stands it would be far better for a players development to go to a club in the PL or to go abroad as that would help them mature a lot more.

The Championship is not exactly the best development arena there is, people also seems to overlook the fact Shelvey actually got his chance in 15 PL games last season and 21 games overall.

Some of the shite aimed at Code on this thread is basically disgraceful and in the most part bullying, the fact he takes it on the chin does not justify it in any way at all, If you don't agree with him fair enough but the shit that's being retorted to him is fucking not on.

People shouldn't resort to abuse, but Code is an inflammatory poster and if you dance with the devil etc etc.

Everyone is entitled to their view and should be able to air it free of abuse but people will get wound up by posters such as Code who bascially say 'you're wrong' and offer absolutely nothing else by way of explanation. It's a fairly callow way to debate in my view.

It doesn't bother me one way or the other, but I can see why people get wound up by him. They should just put him on ignore, mind.

These players already found themselves at PL clubs in the first place so I`m not sure I can go along with that kind of logic as I see no logic in it.

Can you expand on this, Code? I don't really follow it!

Do you mean when a player has signed for a PL club he can no longer improve? Lots of players - and all of the younger ones - are signed on potential alone. Signing for a PL club isn't the end of the journey, it's the beginning.

The Championship is not exactly the best development arena there is, people also seems to overlook the fact Shelvey actually got his chance in 15 PL games last season and 21 games overall.

But he's now clearly down the pecking order after we brought in 3 more midfielders

Do you think reserve team/NextGen stuff is enough for him? I prefer to see him in the Ch'ship, playing week in/week out.

Cna you expand on this, Code? I don't really follow it!

Do you mean when a player has signed for a PL club he can no longer improve? Lots of players - and all of the younger ones - are signed on potential alone. Signing for a PL club isn't the end of the journey, it's the beginning.

I mean that if a player has signed for a PL club and later be loaned to a Championship club its not really much of an achievement to get back to the club after his loan spell since thats actually his club.

Not sure where you comes from with your second question as it seems to me you are trying to imply I have said players do not improve or develop after a move to a PL club and gets playing time as that would be the opposite of what I`m saying.

You improve and develop by playing with better more experienced players around you and by playing against better and more experienced opposition.