You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Bumping this.

I need a new phone with a good camera for Vegas next year, but I was wondering if any one could tell me whether I could buy the phone over in the US (As it's cheaper) and I could just add my Vodafone simcard to it or would I have to have it unlocked?

Cheers.

Bumping this.

I need a new phone with a good camera for Vegas next year' date=' but I was wondering if any one could tell me whether I could buy the phone over in the US (As it's cheaper) and I could just add my Vodafone simcard to it or would I have to have it unlocked?

Cheers.[/quote']

As far as I'm aware you can do that. I bought an iPad out there that works fine but the suggestion was to put a US SIM card in it so it can register the phone on mobile networks in 'home' country. Unless anyone here comes up with the definitive answer just have a search on the many iPhone forums.

I was under impression that any iPhone bought direct from Apple was unlocked anyway?

We bought an ipad from the Apple store in Caesars Palace mall when we went to Vegas. It was the week the new ipad and min ipad was released, it sounded like there were more Brits in there buying stuff than anyone! Staff there were very helpful and answered numerous queries about whether the ipad would work back in UK.

My Tart is getting one next week, a phone of course, not one from me, the unlucky cunt, anyway she's been quoted £36 a month with £25 for handset black 16gb on 02 unlimted minutes and texts and 1gb data, is there any offers you people know of to beat that ??. She can't go with 3 because as good as the all you can eat data is there are some specific areas where you simply cannot get any signal (my sisters in waterloo being one) and in the hospital where she works, thanks.

My Tart is getting one next week, a phone of course, not one from me, the unlucky cunt, anyway she's been quoted £36 a month with £25 for handset black 16gb on 02 unlimted minutes and texts and 1gb data, is there any offers you people know of to beat that ??. She can't go with 3 because as good as the all you can eat data is there are some specific areas where you simply cannot get any signal (my sisters in waterloo being one) and in the hospital where she works, thanks.

Apple don't allow discounting of their new products. The price will be the same over each of the networks.

screenshot20130114at145.png

Unlimited mins

Unlimited texts

1GB data

£36per month

24 months

FREE Handset

Free iPhone 5 at Tesco Phone Shop @ £36pm - Hot UK Deals

Tesco Phone Shop - Mobile Phones | SIM Cards | Broadband and Home Phone

Tesco -FREE Handset

O2 Shop - £79.99 Handset

Carphone Warehouse - £25 Handset

Phones4U - £25 Handset Cost

If she's goes through tesco, as she's already on o2 can she keep her number d'you reckon ??

Guest davelfc

You would be better asking them.

In the past I got round number problem by porting it to a throw away payg sim and then to the new account. Then I just couldn't be bothered keeping my numbers so it's not something I know much about now.

You might see if they'll price match this deal?

Guest davelfc

The above is a decent deal, the £99 up front charge is reduced to £50 with a code and topcashback apparently tracks at £27 (or thereabouts) although you have to access the deal via TCB for it to track. Then the monthly fee is £26 which is a significant saving.

Yes the phone is a refurb (so is your new phone after a day) and you have to cancel the add ons they include (insurance and gadget helpline) but in my experience cancelling these are cancelled easily.

Guest davelfc
Not keen on that overall Dave, especially the refurbed handset, not as covered as you would be with new. As the Apple king anyway what do you think of iphone white 32gb with unlimited calls/texts, 1gb data £70 handset and £32 month ? that's what she's been offered now.

Depends, smaller amounts of data can cause larger bills and they know it. 1gb should be ok but any app updates should be done on the home network via wifi.

I have the 32gb iPhone 5 myself, very happy with it and just about the right amount of storage.

Apple don't allow discounting of their new products. The price will be the same over each of the networks.

Apple have no power to stop discounting, but nobody does it because there's no profit in doing so.

Enforcing a minimum price is price fixing and illegal.

The reason Apple products tend to be more or less uniformly priced is that they aren't doing many discount deals to retailers, and there's so much competitive pressure, it's hard to charge any more than the competition for such a common and popular product. However, IF a retailer wanted to make a loss on iPhone, they COULD sell for whatever price they like and there's nothing Apple can do about it. Any contract between Apple and the retailer that stipulated a minimum retail price would be illegal.

The thing with the contract deals is obvious, but people forget it - the cost of the handset is rolled into the tariff. There's no 'free' handset. Never has been.

£36 a month is £864 quid over 2 years (which is the usual length of contract these days). Which is roughly the same as buying a handset for £500.00 then spending £15.00 a month. The advantage to the operator is that they are tying you into them for 2 years, where as buying an unlocked handset gives you more flexibility and you don't HAVE to top up every month if you don't want to.