You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Magazines you used to buy

Section_31

Haven't been regularly into magazines for years but used to love my computer mags way back when. Also collected Airplane and Firepower from the age of about six years old (I was that fucked up, I often had to be told off by my mother at bus stops for pretending to machine gun random strangers, my favourite plane was a Mig 29 Fulcrum)

(think I've still got these two editions somewhere)

9ea71pk6.jpg

fp3-90.jpg

41780_2358009705_1972_n.jpg

Remember buying this edition in Southport and reading it on the way home, words can't describe how excited I was.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQa6fe9_9pyqvcjFWJsUyIuZ7qmgZWzstGw337DYthvFNwgY6T6TWCxDS4J

SF2-CVG--article_image.jpg

Used to get one called Total too which was good, can't find any images though. Aimed at kids much more than the likes of Mean Machines, I remember seeing the Super Famicom pictured in it for the first time, I was sitting on the window ledge in a shop called Colin Sykes in Speke - great stuff.

Also, not to forget the exotic Electronic Gaming Monthly, an American magazine that called the Mega Drive the Genesis (it took me a while to figure out what the fuck they were talking about). Although this could only be purchased in the Great Sankey area of Warrington.

magazine-electronic-gaming-monthly-mortal-kombat-v6-6-of-12-1993_6-page-1.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShoePiss

Your Sinclair

Sinclair User

Aircraft - it was a 20 something volume thing with nice navy blue binders with an SR-71 embossed on the front

Shoot!

C&VG

Later on

Mixmag

The Face

FHM

Probably loads I've forgotten, between going the match and magazines was where all of my pocket money went.

Crash

C&VG

Your Sinclair

Amiga Format

Practical Wireless

Your Cat

I used to buy all kinds of different mags as a one off, choosing one which has a vague resonance with my interests just to make the bus ride home more bearable from WH Smiths or to use as a handy cover to hide the Freak Brothers/Zap/R.Crumb stuff I would get from that comic shop that used to be on London Road, from prying parents/teachers eyes.

Guest ShoePiss
Fucking hell Shoe Piss; Your Sinclair and Sinclair User. Forgot about those. Do you remember those two page text programmes you used to get in them and when you finally loaded them correctly (never first time) your reward would something shit like your rubber keys made nosies when touched?

Yeah, I'm sure they had pong one time. Then they started to have cassettes taped to them with demos and free games. Good times.

Weaned on Beano and Dandy as a kid, with a side order of Buster and Whizzer & Chips. Strictly speaking I didn't buy these. My mum and dad gave all my copies to the school, I used to smuggle them back one by one in my schoolbag.

Sinclair User, Crash and Your Sinclair (I have issues of this going back to when it was Your Spectrum). Sometimes CVG.

MacFormat, PC Format. Sometimes PC Zone and PC Gamer.

Muzik, DJ Magazine and Mixmag. Sometimes Jockey Slut, Smash Hits and TOTP Magazine.

FHM, Loaded, Total Film and Empire.

I hardly ever buy magazines now. Waste of money.

Along with the Beano, Match and Kerrang amongst others. I have to give a shout out to:

aa103.jpg

Don't think I ever read it though. Only bought it for the games.

I have to say going through this gallery CPC MAGAZINE COVERS - Amstrad Action April 1994 from the short period I bought the mag (end of 94ish) it was hard to decide which was the funniest cover to post...

The day I got Fantasy World Dizzy as a free gift with the magazine was a great day indeed.

ys01.jpg

sinclair-user-98.jpg

Commando0015.jpg

God damn, how good was Commando? There was possibly another one at the time which was similar but I forget the name. It was so awesomely un-PC, great stories. I went to the 14th Walton on the Hill scouts jumblesale when I was a nipper and bought about 300 back issues for a couple of quid. Fucking goldmine. Wish I still had them as they would make cracking reading on the bog.

Nowadays, I buy:

Bike%20.png

Ride_160.jpg

1207_big.jpg

C&VG

Mean Machines

Edge

FHM

Loaded

GQ

Men's Health

The Evolution of Man in magazines!! Havent bothered with Ay magazines for years though, especially since the Internet came along.

Started on FHM when it first came out and it used to be really good. However, I binned it when it disappeared up it's own arse around the late 90s. Same the happened to GQ which basically decided to replace articles with adverts. The thing with Men's Health is that there's only so many ways to get a six pack before you tire of reading the same thing.