You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Francesco Totti

dirty_sanchez

Francesco Totti. How good is he  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Francesco Totti. How good is he

• Proper boss, a world class player
    • He's pretty good, but he's well overrated
    • Meh, he's average
    • He's not all that.
    • He's shit.

10 hours ago, viRdjil said:

Interested to hear @The Guest’s view on this.

I didn’t see enough of them in their heyday to comment really.  I’m too young for Baggio.  I seen more Del Piero than Totti because of the champions league and used to think he was brilliant.  Totti seems to be the YouTube flavour of recent times though.  His highlights package is up there with anyone’s. That’s not to say he wasn’t better than the other 2 but you definitely get a lot people judging it on that.

I think if there’s one thing everyone can agree on though is that Italians have the best names.

• Upvote 1

For a long time Roma were just crap, way behind Juve, AC and Inter and I thought Totti would never get the league title he deserved. They built a great side in the early 2000's and I was pleased for Totti that he got his league medal. In his prime he could have gone to any club and won shitloads so him remaining loyal to Roma is to be commended. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

I didn’t see enough of them in their heyday to comment really.  I’m too young for Baggio.  I seen more Del Piero than Totti because of the champions league and used to think he was brilliant.  Totti seems to be the YouTube flavour of recent times though.  His highlights package is up there with anyone’s. That’s not to say he wasn’t better than the other 2 but you definitely get a lot people judging it on that.

I think if there’s one thing everyone can agree on though is that Italians have the best names.

That’s a bit of an anti-climax. I thought you hated Serie A.

18 minutes ago, Baltar said:

For a long time Roma were just crap, way behind Juve, AC and Inter and I thought Totti would never get the league title he deserved. They built a great side in the early 2000's and I was pleased for Totti that he got his league medal. In his prime he could have gone to any club and won shitloads so him remaining loyal to Roma is to be commended. 

The Matt Le Tissier,with a winners medal,of Serie A.

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

That’s a bit of an anti-climax. I thought you hated Serie A.

I generally hate the way people rave about players they’ve barely watched.  Serie A was boring as fuck in the 90’s when they used to show it on channel 4 even though they tended to have a higher calibre of player

11 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

From Youtube vids: 

Only player I've seen look better on Youtube than Baggio is Michael Laudrup. His highlights are insane. Honestly doesn't look like he's playing the same sport as everyone else.

You clearly haven't searched Lee Trundle 

• Upvote 1

Baggio's career was wrecked by injury so he is not in the discussion for me. Totti was a Motd type player, had great quality but you only got to see it every 6 months. Del Piero was pure class over a sustained period of time.

• Like 1

Some absolutely awful Totti takes here. The guy won five Italian Footballer of the Year awards (rough equivalent of Player's Player of the Year over here), and Serie A Player of the Year twice (also voted for by other players and coaches). For reference, Del Piero didn't win either award once.

You can make the case that Del Piero or Baggio were better, if you like, and in certain areas they undoubtedly were, but it's bizarre to try and pretend that Totti, one of the best Italian players of his generation, was just some flash Harry who scored the odd wonder goal.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Some absolutely awful Totti takes here. The guy won five Italian Footballer of the Year awards (rough equivalent of Player's Player of the Year over here), and Serie A Player of the Year twice (also voted for by other players and coaches). For reference, Del Piero didn't win either award once.

You can make the case that Del Piero or Baggio were better, if you like, and in certain areas they undoubtedly were, but it's bizarre to try and pretend that Totti, one of the best Italian players of his generation, was just some flash Harry who scored the odd wonder goal.

Think you need to check your sources again.

Totti never really shone in Europe. Partly because Roma were crap for much of the time but when I think of great Champions League players, I don't think of Totti at all whereas Del Piero especially is etched in my memory in that excellent Juventus team in the late 90's.

• 3 weeks later...