You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Francesco Totti

dirty_sanchez

Francesco Totti. How good is he  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Francesco Totti. How good is he

• Proper boss, a world class player
    • He's pretty good, but he's well overrated
    • Meh, he's average
    • He's not all that.
    • He's shit.

13 hours ago, Pidge said:

Not sure, quite often it meant he'd be playing for the team and making others better.  There's a reason why there was always space at the far post for Inzaghi to shin the ball in, Del Piero.  Been dipping into the highlight videos for nostalgia's sake and he's as good as I remember, always keeping the ball moving.  Fluent moves to keep defenders turning, great pace, those lofts into the top corners (past some of the best keepers of the period), the free kicks...  World class at his best.

People will be back to making out Raul was just Kevin Phillips in white next...

So what is your 123 ? 

Del Piero's my #1, but I accept that's driven by nostalgia and also caveated by the fact that I think neither Totti nor Del Piero could've done the job the other did to the same level. I don't see them as comparable players.

Can't really rate Baggio because I didn't watch him properly as much as the others. Like Vialli he's a player I saw more on the wind-down.

I would say to anyone do yourself a favour and spend some time watching videos on all three, even if just highlights.  I have while the rugby's been on (Chiefs second/third string got hammered earlier) and they're all utter class.

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

Del Piero's my #1, but I accept that's driven by nostalgia and also caveated by the fact that I think neither Totti nor Del Piero could've done the job the other did to the same level. I don't see them as comparable players.

Can't really rate Baggio because I didn't watch him properly as much as the others. Like Vialli he's a player I saw more on the wind-down.

I would say to anyone do yourself a favour and spend some time watching videos on all three, even if just highlights.  I have while the rugby's been on (Chiefs second/third string got hammered earlier) and they're all utter class.

Yawn 

Should be remembered how early del Pierro career was fucked by injuries. He did amazing to play as long as he did and adapted his game. 

Check out James Richardson Italian football podcast, they do a good historic part where they cover some of these players career. 

Love this Baggio video. 

If Baggio was around now in a more free flowing game than the 80/90s Serie A of shape, defensive football he really would stand out even more. 

Baggio being the player to miss the pen in the 94 world cup has to be one of the cruelest things in football, up their with Gerrard slip for us. 

They wouldn't have been close to the final without him. He carried them going forward nearly on his own and played the final with a fucked hamstring he injured against Bulgaria in the semi final

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Pidge said:

From Youtube vids: 

Del Piero looked like the best striker of the ball, but Totti and Baggio look like geniuses who could anything with the ball. Baggio especially.

Only player I've seen look better on Youtube than Baggio is Michael Laudrup. His highlights are insane. Honestly doesn't look like he's playing the same sport as everyone else.

16 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Only player I've seen look better on Youtube than Baggio is Michael Laudrup. His highlights are insane. Honestly doesn't look like he's playing the same sport as everyone else.

Never watched him play as a midfielder, but from the YouTube videos, Lothar Matthäus looked the best CM the world has seen. Better than the likes of Gerrard, Vieira, Keane. Having been so excited over Djibril Cisse, I am well aware of their limitations and flaws though.

50 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Never watched him play as a midfielder, but from the YouTube videos, Lothar Matthäus looked the best CM the world has seen. Better than the likes of Gerrard, Vieira, Keane. Having been so excited over Djibril Cisse, I am well aware of their limitations and flaws though.

Matthaus was excellent.  Much more attacking and better on the ball than Vieira and Keane for sure. 

I don't think many all time lists would have him below them two.

• Upvote 1