You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Women in Saudi Arabia to vote and run in elections

Dougie Do'ins

Didn't see this coming.

Women in Saudi Arabia to vote and run in elections

Women in Saudi Arabia are to be given the right to vote and run in future municipal elections, King Abdullah has announced.

He said they would also have the right to be appointed to the consultative Shura Council.

The move was welcomed by activists who have called for greater rights for women in the kingdom, which enforces a strict version of Sunni Islamic law.

The changes will occur after municipal polls on Thursday, the king said.

King Abdullah announced the move in a speech at the opening of the new term of the Shura Council - the formal body advising the king, whose members are all appointed.

"Because we refuse to marginalise women in society in all roles that comply with sharia, we have decided, after deliberation with our senior clerics and others... to involve women in the Shura Council as members, starting from next term," he said.

"Women will be able to run as candidates in the municipal election and will even have a right to vote."

BBC News - Women in Saudi Arabia to vote and run in elections

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Probably shitting themselves in case there's an uprising

They're more than capable of crushing any uprising in Saudi. There'll be no intervention there, liberal or otherwise. I doubt there'd even be a muttering of condemnation from the US or GB.

Anyway, it's a completely empty gesture. Pointless. Democracy goes well beyond the right to vote.

In all seriousness, nobody honestly thinks the women will be allowed to exercise a free vote, do they? It'll be just like it is in this country and elsewhere: the male head of the household decides for them.

Might as well just give men an extra vote for every woman he owns and have done with it.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
It'll be just like it is in this country and elsewhere: the male head of the household decides for them.

I'm sure that does happen sometimes, but is there any reason you've made it into a blanket statement; is there anything to back that up?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
It wasn't meant to be a blanket statement, for the most part I was thinking of those households in this country that practice (unofficial) polygamy

Oh, I see. Quite different from what you actually said. Nevermind. I do wonder how much polygamy actually goes on in the UK though. Not something I've ever come across.

Oh, I see. Quite different from what you actually said. Nevermind. I do wonder how much polygamy actually goes on in the UK though. Not something I've ever come across.

It's in the news at the moment which is probably why it's fresh in my mind

BBC News - The British Muslim men who love 'both their wives'