You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bellers

Guest TK-421

I was about to type a very long reply but I agree with Duff Man. Bellamy/Torres is a more like for like comparison than Bellamy/Babel, in my opinion. Bellamy and Torres are both quick strikers who like to break the offside line (like Bellamy's goal last night), but Torres is a class above or at least he was for us under Rafa.

I don't think it's as simple as saying "Babel replaced Bellamy and it was a mistake", it's easy to say that in hindsight.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bellamy actually only scored 4 goals for West Ham in his season at the club, I'm not sure how many games he got. I guess he was injured and if I recall correctly did West Ham not go down that season?

Babel, on the other hand, had a decent first season getting 10 goals in all comps including 5 in Europe. After that his form dipped, but you can only really compare one season against another. There is no guarantee that Bellamy would have replicated his form at Man City for us had he stayed. There are too many variables to make that assumption; injuries, golf, etc.

You also have to consider the financial constraints the manager had to work under. So I don't agree that Rafa made a clear cut error selling Bellers and buying Babel.

Just to add to my last post, because it's too late to edit it; I'm not saying this to have a go at an ex manager, just to point out that the argument that we had to sell Bellamy to buy Torres is invalid. We could have had Torres and Bellamy in the squad and saved a few million quid on Babel. It's one of those arguments which sounds easy to make in retrospect but I have been saying it since that time, so I don't feel as if I'm using 20/20 hindsight.

We could have had Torres and Aguerro and saved a few million quid, but Aguerro was considered to be a risk.

Babel obviously wasn't a risk.

Kenny said recently that he's a better player now than he was at 25, and I can see that; he is more mature and thinks more about the game. He doesn't look to have lost much pace either at 32! I think if we can use him carefully over the season he will prove to be a most astute signing. I don't think he will have it in his tank to play every game though.

Pure propaganda. The sequence was that we bought Torres, sold Bellamy and then bought Babel. Selling Bellamy to buy Torres sounds better than selling him to buy Babel though, doesn't it?

Have you considered their wages? That's what I want to talk about.

Its only a matter of time before Bellamy and Suarez have a fight.

Liverpool Christmas party - December 23rd PPV:

The Battle of the Little Giants:

Main event

Suarez vs Bellamy

Undercard

Rafa vs Purslow

Fanning vs Carragher

Tomkins and Bascombe on commentary with Carroll providing his unique expert analysis.

Our best partner for Suarez. He was superb tonight. Quick, good movement, workrate, finishing and comfortable in a numer of different positions.

Has to be in our first XI.

It's a shame he probably hasn't got the legs for playing the full 90 every week otherwise I think he could cause havoc with Suarez.

Realistically I think we'll be seeing him as a very effective Sub.

Yeah I'm happy with this signing, think this will prove to be a very good piece of business.