You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ray Wilkins

Ginny

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you chat some proper shit. People don't dislike Wilkins because he doesn't support us, they dislike him because he's a fucking idiot who keeps spouting the same useless bollocks for 90mins.

My word this, young lad that, when I was at Chelsea...Wonderful advertisement for the BARCLAYS premier league etc etc.

Fuck him and fuck you too.

That just does my nut. Are they paying you to advertise for them? Just commentate on the match.

• 1 year later...

My word. He's only gone and pleaded not guilty, the boy.

Seriously, who's advising the bloke? How the hell do you plead not guilty to this?

BBC News - Ray Wilkins drink-driving case: Pundit 'too drunk to stand'

Ray Wilkins drink-driving case: Pundit 'too drunk to stand'

Ray Wilkins arriving at court Ray Wilkins is accused of driving at nearly three times the legal limit

Former England and Chelsea footballer Ray Wilkins was too drunk to stand when he was stopped for driving his car erratically, a court has been told.

Mr Wilkins, 56, slurred his words and leaned on his Jaguar for support when he was pulled over near his Cobham home in May 2012, magistrates heard.

North Surrey Magistrates' Court also heard he fell asleep in a police patrol car and later swore at officers.

Mr Wilkins denies a charge of drinking and driving.

Tests taken at a police station showed he was almost three times the legal limit.

'Strong smell of liquor'

The former England midfielder was arrested on 7 May last year after his car was seen "weaving" down the road at about 01:45 BST, the court heard.

It was alleged Mr Wilkins's car had "lurched" forward and then hit a traffic island.

PC Nicholas Skidmore told the court: "There was a strong smell of intoxicating liquor in the vehicle and around him.

"When he got out of the vehicle, he couldn't stand up properly," he said.

"He had to lean against the car."

The officer said he handcuffed the Sky Sports football pundit, who then fell asleep in his unmarked police car.

The court was told Mr Wilkins was then taken to a local police station where he was told he could not make a call to his wife until he had provided two breath samples.

CCTV played to the court showed him apparently trying to complete the tests.

'Absolutely ridiculous'

He was heard to swear to officers before saying: "I can't even phone my missus.

"I'm not going to bash up anybody - this is ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous."

PC Skidmore told the hearing: "[He said] he knew that he had done wrong and he wanted to speak to his wife as soon as possible."

Paul Lund for the prosecution said Mr Wilkins would challenge the result of the breath test.

He said: "Mr Wilkins says that he can't have drunk enough to produce that high reading.

"At the end of the day, the defence is relying on Mr Wilkins' assertion that he hadn't drunk enough.

"He would say that, wouldn't he?"

The footballer won 84 caps for England and played for clubs including AC Milan, Chelsea and Manchester United during a career that spanned three decades.

In 1993 he was appointed MBE for services to football.

The case continues.

Honours

Manchester United

FA Cup (1): 1982–83

FA Charity Shield (1): 1983

Rangers

Scottish Premier Division (1): 1988–89

Scottish League Cup (1): 1988

England

Rous Cup (1): 1986

British Home Championship (3): 1978, 1982, 1983

A bit shit, wasn't he?

'I have to say, it was a tremendous evening, with a magnificent effort at the end by the breathaliser. Top class all round by young Frank and Didier- the arresting officers. It was an absolute pleasure to get pissed and be arrested by them. Terrific young men.'

'' I remember my time at Meeelan, smashing. We were absolutely rubbish and I got shipped out after 2 seasons. Tremendous club ''

" I remember talking to Joe Jordan about his time at Meeelan, he said he was proud to be relegated with such a club in his first season. Marvellous "

Isn't he claiming that the waves given off by the police radios distorted the machine reading?

Sounds fair enough to me.

Terrible defending. Looks like Ray once again finds himself without a leg to stand on.

Guest davelfc
My word. He's only gone and pleaded not guilty, the boy.

Seriously, who's advising the bloke? How the hell do you plead not guilty to this?

His advisor must be John Terry.