You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ray Wilkins

Ginny

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes he's OK, but occasionally, especially when commentating on the Mancs, he lays on the platitudes to a ridiculous extent (a 50-yard ball out of play becomes "wonderful vision", for example. That and his constant referring to English players by their first name or nickname (step forward Wayne and JT), even if he knows them personally.

Back when he co-commentated on Football Italia, he had a habit of adding "I've got to say" before anything he was about to say. You could devise a drinking game based around it! Recently, there's been an awful lot of "My word!" or "Goodness Me!".

Given how the game is broadcast these days, he's yet another who talks too much during games. I've not listened to Radio Five Live in ages, but the best in that co-commentary role is Jimmy Armfield. He never laboured the point, something all the others are adept at.

He seems like a well-mannered and decent fella. Thirty years ago, he'd be the norm. These days, the youth are stunned when he commentates because he stands out like a sore thumb. By TLW standards, he therefore qualifies as a 'cunt'.

In fact I'm going to declare a TLW law, I'll call it The Law of Cunts:

The probability of any non-LFC man, woman or child being called a 'cunt' approaches 1 as the thread length reaches infinity (although a couple of pages will usually suffice).

Some of you chat some proper shit. People don't dislike Wilkins because he doesn't support us, they dislike him because he's a fucking idiot who keeps spouting the same useless bollocks for 90mins.

My word this, young lad that, when I was at Chelsea...Wonderful advertisement for the premier league etc etc.

Fuck him and fuck you too.

He's no Barry Davies, but then again who is.

Anyway have some classic Barry Davies

[YOUTUBE]EMmQk2lK_Ks[/YOUTUBE]

"Interesting....VERY INTERESTING. Look at face, just look at his face.

Also hear the City fans bellowing out YNWA, quite a few teams back then used to give it a good airing.

[YOUTUBE]lfO6hUCRMgI[/YOUTUBE]

Where were the Germans but frankly who cares.

Dead sounding' date=' you mean?

As well as the absolute drivel he spouts, his dreary monotonous voice really grates.[/quote']

The way he speaks I half expect him to be standing by a log fire in a silk robe and slippers sipping some port and puffing away on a cigar as he peers at the ruffians through his stained glass window playing football on his manicured lawn.

Oh and he would be standing on a bear sking rug too and the whole scene would be in black and white with crackly audio from a 1930's movie.

Having said that I think he could be a decent bloke.

He has a ridiculously mannered way of speaking, which, combined with his Brookingesque fence-sitting, really niggles.'What do you think about Hitler, Ray?' 'A rather mercurial gentleman, and probably not to everyone's taste, although I dare say he has his followers'.

That sounded like something you would hear from Hodgson. Cut from the same cloth.