You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dalglish needs to learn some manners

Matt Hughes

Kenny Dalglish has been rightly credited with restoring the Liverpool way and reviving the Boot Room ethos since his return to Anfield, but some of his old school attitudes are less welcome. The Liverpool manager’s increasingly and condescending approach to the media does not become him or the great club who employ him.

Two examples spring readily to mind from the start of this season, and no doubt countless others could be provided by those who follow the club more closely. Following a magnificent away win at Arsenal last month Dalglish was asked by a respected newspaper reporter if he wanted Raul Meireles, who had made a major impact as a substitute, to stay at the club, to which he responded with a surprising level of disdain, “smell your fish and chips.” Little over a week later Meireles had been sold to Chelsea, demonstrating that Dalglish’s disregard for the reporter in question and the accuracy of newspapers in general was undeserved.

An even ruder and more unnecessary exchange followed yesterday’s 4-0 defeat at Tottenham Hotspur. Dalglish responded to an innocuous question from a Sky Sports reporter about whether Steven Gerrard would return from injury against Brighton in the Carling Cup this week with barely concealed contempt and the words, “I don’t know, I’m not a psychic.” That’s right Kenny, but you still probably have a better idea than Sky’s production team, Liverpool fans and the millions watching live on television.

Such smart-arsed put-downs have not been seen in the Premier League since Gordon Strachan, who had a habit of humiliating unsuspecting interviewers with what he probably regarded as a unique form of wit. Dalglish is undoubtedly a better manager than his fellow Scot, but at the moment is failing to demonstrate that he is a better man.

We should have a nice Englishman in charge instead. Somebody who gives the press what they want and talks freely about the club to virtually no end. And who doesn't want to upset Mr Ferguson .

We should have a nice Englishman in charge instead. Somebody who gives the press what they want and talks freely about the club to virtually no end. And who doesn't want to upset Mr Ferguson .

Someone who makes sure only to attack the foreign press...!

Funny how nine of our esteemed journalists see fit to point out what a git Hodgson can be to those who don't share his locus.

That's right Matt, Kenny should run things by you first.

Matt. Matty. Mattster.

Not to worry, I don't read any of your articles anyway, nor any of your peer's work either, because it's all really boring now.

No, I don't need to know if Johnson will be back in 3 weeks or not, I just don't need to know that, so stop fucking asking.

No, I don't want you to ask Kenny if Meireles is staying, that's not how this shit works Matt. We don't need to be kept in the loop Matt.

Don't go claiming to be fighting some noble cause, to shine light where there is darkness, in our name, in MY name. You cyber-cunt.

He IS the Missing Link. Or has he just been freed from 10 years chained to a Middle-Eastern radiator?

That's all 4 "quality" British newspaper laying into Kenny in the space of 10 days. I see a pattern emerging.

As for this office can-lad, ignore him and hopefully he will return to the coffee run and leave the writing to those that have something worth reading.