You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Well bruce, I think you do make some valid points, if perhaps slightly on the pessimistic side.

I like seeing Kenny back as manager; it's wionderful seeing a Liverpool legend bossing the media and acting like a proper Liverpool manager.

But that enjoyment is tempered by the fact that ANYONE would have been preferable to that cunt Hodgson.

And when discussions about who I'd really have preferred, well, a proven winner like Mourinho or sought-after young manager would have been my choice, yes, even over Kenny.

As for our 80m transfer business since Jan, I've not been shy about admitting that I wouldn't have bought Carroll, Henderson, Adam or Downing as my first choices. Or in some cases, even third or fourth.

The joy of seeing Budgie gone, allied with the return of Kenny and money to spend at last - and a palpable sense of optimism under the new owners - should certainly be tempered with a dose of rerality. I thought we would syruggle to come fourth, at best.

And fourth is looking as good as we could dream of, because it's fucking obvious, and has been for ages, that Man Shitty would finish above us last season, and will again. United being above us is a given, especially seeing how superbly Young and Rooney are playing, and Chelsea will also finish Top 3.

So it's us, Arsenal and Spurs.

• Downvote 1

No need to take that tone Mr DIARRHEA this a public forum after all, where people are free to air their views. If you don't agree argue the point, instead of petty name calling because it's not very becoming.

we are all entitled to our opinion Mr Spanner, the fact that your are so obviously a WUM makes your opinion worthless. Run along.

Skrtel, Lucas, Carragher.

The three reasons we fuck up time and time again.

Don't worry if you can't see that, it's like how some people can do cryptic crosswords and others can't.

The three of them are god-awful footballers with zero desire to be attacking. Pepe is more of an offensive threat than those three, it's fucking appalling.

Skrtel, Lucas, Carragher.

The three reasons we fuck up time and time again.

Don't worry if you can't see that, it's like how some people can do cryptic crosswords and others can't.

The three of them are god-awful footballers with zero desire to be attacking. Pepe is more of an offensive threat than those three, it's fucking appalling.

You've named two defenders and our holding midfielder.

Am I missing something?

The difference between Lucas and Mascherano is that the latter - although very much a defensive player - possessed a drive and tenacity that allowed him to get forward and boost the play.Lucas is entirely, irreversibly defensive in every single way. He's a good player, very good at what he does but there's no way he'd get near Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City or Tottenham's side. No way at all - he's done a good job, but there's no question that he's one of the players we should be looking to replace, because we're effectively playing with an extra defender instead of a hold midfielder.

Gareth Barry starts almost every game for Manchester City.

I really don't see the problem with having one player to just shield the back four and keep it simple. Unfortunately the players infront of him, who's job it is to do the goals and that, were terrible.

Barry, despite being a pedestrian player, chips in with more going forward than Lucas.

Barry, despite being a pedestrian player, chips in with more going forward than Lucas.

Six goals in 93 games for City. Its better than Lucas, and I've no doubt he gets a few more assists as well, but the difference is probably just the gap in quality between the two sides. Three of the five players ahead of him today were Adam, Henderson and Carroll. None of which are currently good enough, certainly not on the same level as City's, or the other sides you've mentioned's, attacking midfielders/forwards.

I really feel Lucas is the least of our worries at the moment. His job is harder when we're not keeping the ball. When we're not creating chances. 35% possession today, any holding midfielder is going to make some mistakes in this situation.

Towards the end of last season when Suarez, Maxi, Meireles etc were playing high tempo one touch football in the opposition's third no-one mentions Lucas' lack of goals, or general attacking play. In the same way no-one bothers doing the same for Busquets or Alonso (I'm not suggesting Lucas is as good as either, he isn't, just that its equally as irrelevant).

• 8 years later...