You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The remarkable life and times of Craig Johnston

russ1979

Loved skippy. Retired early as he fell out of love with football and cared for his sister who was in an accident and in a bad way.

Never forget him trying to get on the end of Rushie's equaliser against the shite in the 86 cup final though!

Loved his little rant about money in football and he was fuckin' spot on.

Right now, footballers are taking the clubs and the fans for a ride.

No footballer should get payed more than 50 grand a week, and even then that's a fuckin' huge amount of money for just kicking a sack of air for 90 minutes.

Engineers and designers at apple create products that make billions of pounds of PROFIT, yet they don't get that much out of the "pie".

Almost no club is making profit, and that in itself it a MASSIVE statement.

How long are clubs going to wait till they make a move? Debts are getting higher and higher, ordinary folks are loses jobs each day, countries are going bankrupt. Yet footballs are getting payed more and more each year.

Doesn't make fuckin' sense.

I'll try and listen to this later, but he's always come across as an innovative thinker, intent on progressing the game ahead of making money. I remember watching the QED documentary on the making of the Predator boot back in the early 90s (I know it was QED because I taped it!), having known that he was a former Liverpool player. He helped create something that has been hugely successful for Adidas, but the thinking behind it wasn't the money it could generate, but how he could help improve ball skills and technique for players at all levels. To be honest, I'm not sure why he hasn't been taken on in some sort of youth coaching capacity. That said, perhaps when I listen to this interview, all will become clear.

That was a brilliant interview. Craig Johnson really needs to write a book which I have no doubt would become a best seller.

He did, "Walk Alone" came out in the late 80s/early 90s. Having said that, it was full of footballer speak. I'd love to see it properly ghost-written - by someone like Brian Reade, for example.

Top bloke.

• 11 months later...
Guest ShoePiss

He's a lovely guy, I did feel a bit concerned for him as he appeared extremely emotional even before getting to the Hillsborough stuff. I think coming to the city always brings things back for him; both his sister's situation and 1989. The affection he's always shown by people around the city when he returns obviously touches him deeply.

Skippy is a legend.

Did he invent the mini bar scanner thing in hotel rooms or have I made that up?

I hope I didnt make it up as I always use that as my killer Craig Johnston fact.

If I did make it up I apologies to all the people Ive lied to over the years regarding this fact.

And if he didnt design it, who did?

Guest ShoePiss
Did he invent the mini bar scanner thing in hotel rooms or have I made that up?

I hope I didnt make it up as I always use that as my killer Craig Johnston fact.

If I did make it up I apologies to all the people Ive lied to over the years regarding this fact.

And if he didnt design it, who did?

Butler! He did yeah