You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunday night telly that reminds you of going back to school

Section_31

Showing my age here but remember Monarch of the Glen in amongst most of the Sunday night gloop that would fill the TV screen. Everything about it was inoffensive and pastel shaded, perfect brain melt material for that time in the week (see success of Downton Abbey).

Unfortunately for me that time of the day also incorporated the enveloping doom of having to go back to school, now I can look back with my rose tinted spectacles on, but I detested school at the time.

I loved that programme.

Brings back great memories of watching it with my Grampher.

Nice one mate. Reminds me of my best friend's dad when I was a kid. I'd be down there playing and he'd be roaring at all of us to shut up when it was on so in the end we'd just sit down and watch it with him. Great programme.

• 1 year later...

Songs Of Praise was the Angel Of Weekend Doom. I never used to watch it, but almost inevitably would come across it by either watching what preceded it or by flicking over the channels. It hovered like a spectre of death over early Sunday evening, announcing the end of your weekend and the countdown to the beginning of the hell that was your school week.

Bullseye

Last of the summer wine

American Football on 4

Hale and pace

This thread has reminded me off the horrific School Tomorrow' feeling I had forgot.......

Thanks a fucking bunch OP'er you are a cunt

Songs of praise was the ultimate spine chiller though,and surprise surprise was a close second

• Upvote 1

Songs Of Praise was the Angel Of Weekend Doom. I never used to watch it, but almost inevitably would come across it by either watching what preceded it or by flicking over the channels. It hovered like a spectre of death over early Sunday evening, announcing the end of your weekend and the countdown to the beginning of the hell that was your school week.

Word for word spot on. Sunday evening telly could well have been ace, but that looming specctre wiped out any prospect of enjoying it.  

Luckily Songs of Praise was 100% depressing by itself.