You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone missing European football?

gumps

I know people will disagree but I enjoyed the group stages, even under Hodgson as we got to see some of the youngsters like Shelvey play. Plus it would've given Kenny some experience in European football, and how to set up, so he would be wiser and more understanding of European football when/if we qualify for the Champions League.

I would've liked to see us try and be the team with most Europa League/UEFA Cup wins aswell.

I'm not really missing it, which surprises me. Back in 2000, before we had ever played in the Champions League, I desperately wanted to play in it and would be really jealous.

When they get down to the knockout stages I think I will miss it. I love the 2 leg games, the group games can be a bit crap at times.

I never want to be in the Europa League again. It's Champions League or nothing from now on.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Champions league yes, not Europa that's shite.

Exactly this for me. I don't care about the UEFA cup. I want to play Barca, Real, Inter, Juve, AC Milan again. And beat them. Again.

Exactly this for me. I don't care about the UEFA cup. I want to play Barca, Real, Inter, Juve, AC Milan again. And beat them. Again.

Same here. As per my blog, UEFA have fucked around with European competitions so much that the Europa League is just an unwanted distraction. They have prioritised the Champions League too much I think, in an attempt to stave off a breakaway European League. That said, I loved it when we were up against the above mentioned teams, and getting the better of them. Dare I say it, I miss playing knockout rounds against Chelsea too.

Fuck the Europa league. We certainly dont need to be travelling to Kazakstan for a Thursday night game and back to play on the Sunday. It has to take its toll. However, we need to make sure we capitalise on this and get the results to ensure we are in the CL for next season. IMO we have the squad to do that, then with some key additions during next summer we can really push on, cement our place back in the CL and the right end of the domestic league table. In other words, its for the greater good.

I know people will disagree but I enjoyed the group stages, even under Hodgson as we got to see some of the youngsters like Shelvey play. Plus it would've given Kenny some experience in European football, and how to set up, so he would be wiser and more understanding of European football when/if we qualify for the Champions League.

I would've liked to see us try and be the team with most Europa League/UEFA Cup wins aswell.

All of the above. And everything that goes with it, like the build up around the draws for the different stages.

Last year when I watched the Champions League stuff I just kept thinking 'we should be there' and this year with no European involvement at all it just feels like something's missing.

I cant wait to get back

Good blog that Trumo. I think I agree in principle that UEFA have tinkered about so much that they've thrown the baby out with the bathwater. The way the groups are these days is a joke, you can practically pick the finishing order due to seedings.

Let the CL keep their "league" phase of group stages but the other 2 comps should be straight knockout. I know that clubs like the "guaranteed" element of a fixed number of games, but in a roundabout way after a few seasons (I'm sure it would take that long) then the extra prestige earned by the competition having an "earned" element of sudden death would eventually outweigh the current bloated group stage of the Europa League.

The way it is now, its basically another half season of games to get to the final for less prizemoney than the 4th placed team gets in the CL group stage!

Having the 3 comps would surely spread out the strength of teams and eventually lead to better competitions!

I'd have liked to be in the Europa. We're playing good football now and I'd have enjoyed seeing youngsters who have outgrown the reserve league but aren't ready for the intensity of the league just yet. Combined with experienced players on the periphery of the first team, they'd have learned quite a bit, particularly of Kenny tactics and management style. It would have been the perfect breeding ground, in my opinion.

There could have been some tasty knockout ties to and, given we've not won anything in 5 years, it would be nice to be competing for trophies again.

I hugely miss it. Obviousely I massively miss the Champions League but I really miss the UEFA Cup too. It actually really angers me to see the way some managers and players talk about the UEFA Cup.

Having said that, I'm still fucked off there is no Cup Winners Cup anymore.

I'd have liked to be in the Europa. We're playing good football now and I'd have enjoyed seeing youngsters who have outgrown the reserve league but aren't ready for the intensity of the league just yet. Combined with experienced players on the periphery of the first team, they'd have learned quite a bit, particularly of Kenny tactics and management style. It would have been the perfect breeding ground, in my opinion.

There could have been some tasty knockout ties to and, given we've not won anything in 5 years, it would be nice to be competing for trophies again.

This is the main reason for me I'd want us to be in any European competition. We're in no position to turn our noses up at any trophy.

But we are not 'turning our noses' up at Europa League. We didnt qualify so we dont take part. Qualifying and fielding understrength teams is turning your nose up at it and its what we did last year and what the likes of Spurs will do this season. The difference is we dont have to travel to Rubin Kazan (after they get knocked out of the CL for the pedants) on a Wednesday.

But we are not 'turning our noses' up at Europa League. We didnt qualify so we dont take part. Qualifying and fielding understrength teams is turning your nose up at it and its what we did last year and what the likes of Spurs will do this season. The difference is we dont have to travel to Rubin Kazan (after they get knocked out of the CL for the pedants) on a Wednesday.

We did when we were in it.

We've got a big squad that could easily cope with playing a few extra games. Its a European trophy, I don't understand why anyone would rather not be in Europe.

I miss the european nights already. I was only thinking last night how next season (if and when we qualify for the champions league) we wont be in pot 1. we could get barca aor real in our group. Without consciously thinking it thru i think i always thought once we got back in the group stages would be good because we'd been away for a while, but we'd stroll through it. may well not be the case because instead of being a team who won it and got to the final in the past 5 years we will have (again assuming we qualify for it next season)

2007/08 Champions league semi finalists

2008/09 Champions League quarter finalists

2009/10 Knocked out in c l group stage/ Europa league Semi Finalists

2010/11 Europa league last 16

2011/12 not in european competition.

mind you now that i typed all that i know someone is going to correct me that rankings are no longer based on your record in europe in the last 5 years so please proceed