You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Trolling is a artform

So, in essence, you're suggesting he should be nominated for a Turner prize? Hmn, I like your outlook. A bit out of left field, Paulie, but I like it.

I think the fact more and more plebs share every SINGLE FUCKING LAST DETAIL of their miserable mouthbreathing lives, combined with sloppy trolling like yer man up there (yo autist, get a proxy) is what has precipitated the erosion of anonymity/freedom online. It's started already, of course, but the powers-that-be require precedent and it's not doom mongering to claim cases like this and the ones from last year will eventually ruin the web for us all.

Still, I started doing internetz in '97 so have had a good innings and can at least say I grew up during its golden age.

I'd be asking myself what I had done wrong as a parent to have allowed my teenage daughter to throw herself under a train.

Thats a bit harsh.

I get the underlying point about maybe the parent or parents could have made a kids life difficult but some teenagers are say victims of bullying at school or have depression or mental illness or even feel suicidal over the break up with a boyfriend or girlfriend.

Things that seem trivial to us old fogeys take on much larger significance when its a teenager who's involved.

Dare i say it that with teenage girls it gets even more crazy.

Thats a bit harsh.

I get the underlying point about maybe the parent or parents could have made a kids life difficult but some teenagers are say victims of bullying at school or have depression or mental illness or even feel suicidal over the break up with a boyfriend or girlfriend.

Things that seem trivial to us old fogeys take on much larger significance when its a teenager who's involved.

Dare i say it that with teenage girls it gets even more crazy.

These are the best candidates for online grooming. The thing to do is find the ugly damaged girls - you get some really good results with a few confidence building compliments.

I disagree. Good trolling requires a lot of planning and can be like a challenging game of chess. The ones with the small minds are the mongs who take the bait everytime.

I was refering to the spastic who got jailed. It's not hard writing insulting comments on a facebook page, set up in memory of a murder victim.

Is hard however, to pull off multiple persona's, one male, one female and then have conversations with yourself.

I was refering to the spastic who got jailed. It's not hard writing insulting comments on a facebook page, set up in memory of a murder victim.

Is hard however, to pull off multiple persona's, one male, one female and then have conversations with yourself.

My bad. Yeah the mong who 'trolled' that dead girls family wasn't up to much. What Nantwich's Gut did was well creepy - some people call that weird online behaviour 'sockpuppeting'.

Wiki - Sockpuppeting

I think true trolling is the art of making a statement about something which is controvertial or clearly false then stepping back to the shadows and watching the flood of drama. Less is more with trolling. It's a fine balance of teasing and outright being a dick.

I think the dead girl troller and the Momo/ Nantwich/ Ian Beale types are actually fairly similar in that they both show clear evidence of yer actual proper mental illness, and are actually very sinister.

There's another type, the "Jon Snow" which is slightly mentally ill, but more about being monumentally stupid and lacking even a scintilla of self-awareness.

And then there's the slyly clever, often handsome, and amazingly funny type.

The Daily Mash - Uh-oh, says everyone on internet

AS a man was jailed for internet abuse, everyone with a computer has spent the last 12 hours frantically deleting as much as they possibly can.

Sean Duffy was sentenced to 18 weeks in prison for being only slightly worse than you when you accuse people who disagree with you of being 'a bit like Joseph Fritzl'.

Now Britain is humming with the sound of tens of millions of people sending emails to defence solicitors with the subject line: "Could we claim 'temporary insanity'?"

Wayne Hayes, an IT consultant and member of 182 sites under the pseudonym 'Sheeple69' said: "What kind of world are we living in if you can't publish the details of the suicide of the mother of someone who thinks Arrested Development is better than Nurse Jackie?

"When Tim Berners-Lee first switched on the internet, his homepage already had two dozen messages on it from complete strangers saying the system didn't work properly and accusing him of being a paedophile.

"Virulent, baseless and anonymous internet abuse is as natural as eating, breathing or pointing and laughing at a procession of funeral cars."

Human rights groups have criticised the Duffy case, saying it criminalises being an asocial fucknut and questioned whether the prison system will be able to hold absolutely everyone.

Campaigner Roy Hobbs said: "If these people weren't sat at home, painstakingly mocking up Youtube videos of natural disaster sites to the sound of the Benny Hill theme tune, they'd be doing whatever you do when you're not calling for Jan Moir to be murdered."

Twitter has reported that its traffic is already down by 65% following the conviction and is now just Stephen Fry being immensely proud of Hugh Laurie.

Meanwhile MySpace said it welcomed any abusive messages people wish to post on its site, just so they have a reason to leave the bloody thing switched on.

It's looks like it was this strange piece of law he was in done under.

Hmmmm. If so, it was a loose interpretation by the court...

If a message sent is grossly offensive, indecent, obscene, menacing or false it is irrelevant whether it was received. The offence is one of sending, so it is committed when the sending takes place. The test for "grossly offensive" was stated by the House of Lords in DPP v Collins [2006] 1 WLR 2223 to be whether the message would cause gross offence to those to whom it relates (in that case ethnic minorities), who need not be the recipients.

So, given that his messages relate to someone who is dead and, therefore, unable to take offence, the appeal should be interesting.

Look, a lot of words can be used to describe this bloke - aspergers notwithstanding - but imprisoning someone for what they say? I have to assume we can expect the Americans to invade us any minute now, in order to bring democracy to the people of England and Wales.

Anybody fancy being part of a rebel alliance?