You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Walking Dead Thread (spoilers and zombies inside)

William_Ulsterman

It annoys me when you have a main character, who's clearly in trouble and some sad music starts playing deliberately to make you feel like it's the end, and just as the baddie is about to make the final blow, one of the good guys mates gets him from behind. Game of thrones does this a lot too, winds me up.

After which they have a 10 minute catch up conversation and the zombies haven't moved an inch.

Deus ex machina the tiger was pretty poor too, barely see the cunt in the first place because they need to save time and money, then it once again comes out of nowhere to save their arses then the show attempts to pull at the heartstrings when it dies, it's spent about a grand total of 2 minutes on screen, I honestly don't give a shit about it. Plus it's its own fault for sitting there waiting to get eaten, there was plenty openings to escape, because they needed the space for the camera to see into the middle of the crowd of zombies.

And how is it you can have a full 20 man squad close range with assault rifles aimed at negan but no one can hit him, but Darrell can get a head shot on the bloke on the back of the speeding jeep from twice the distance, with a pistol held one handed while himself riding a motorbike?

• 2 weeks later...

Game of thrones does this a lot too

Game of Thrones, for at least 95% of the time, has absolutely not done that. It's known for killing off main characters in moments of high drama, exactly when they can't be rescued. Now, it did do it at a couple of prominent times last season, but considering what went before it didn't really matter because you actually thought the opposite was going to happen.

Also, The Walking Dead has become so shit. So fucking shit. I agree with everything else you said though.

• Upvote 1

Game of Thrones, for at least 95% of the time, has absolutely not done that. It's known for killing off main characters in moments of high drama, exactly when they can't be rescued. Now, it did do it at a couple of prominent times last season, but considering what went before it didn't really matter because you actually thought the opposite was going to happen.

Also, The Walking Dead has become so shit. So fucking shit. I agree with everything else you said though.

It's just a general trope that I dislike.

Think it happened twice in one scene in the last season, during the battle near highgarden, where Bronn is about to get fucked up by a Dothraki then Dickon saves him at the last second by stabbing the Dothraki from behind, not long after that Jamie is about to get fucked up by a dragon and bronn saves him at the last second.

Season before in the flashback fight, ned is about to get fucked up by Arthur dayne then gets saved at the last second by howland reed who stabs dayne from behind. (kind of understand this one, dayne was supposed to be the best swordsman in the world, and we already know ned survives, so this was probably the logical way to handle it.)

Couple of seasons before that during the mutiny at crastors gaff, Jon Snow is about to get fucked up by the "fooking legend" then one of crastors daughters/wives stabs him from behind.

Before that during the blackwater battle tyrion is about to get fucked up by a lannister soldier then podrick comes and stabs the baddie from behind at the last second. (kind of understand this one, they needed to show that a lannister wanted him killed so some other stuff can happen after.)

Probably a load more times that it's happened but them ones come to mind because I never actually thought they were in danger of being killed at that time because they are main characters and fans would lose their shit especially if bronn or tyrion died.

I see what you mean though, because there has been occasions where a main character isn't saved, ned being the one that changed my whole perspective on this trope, but they do rely on it quite a lot and seem to get away with it because it's game of thrones and they do occasionally kill them off.

Ocassionally? C’mon now. They’ve killed off more big characters in one scene than you mentioned above in the entirety of the seven seasons. I think it’s way overstating it to say GoT relies on it. It would be strange for nobody to save somebody in battle at any point ever.

I do dislike the ‘just about to die, killer gets killed’ shit, but I don’t get that vibe from GoT other than the last season, which irked me a touch but in the grand scheme will be seen as acceptable, considering the slaughter we have seen before and we will likely see next season.

Ocassionally? C’mon now. They’ve killed off more big characters in one scene than you mentioned above in the entirety of the seven seasons. I think it’s way overstating it to say GoT relies on it. It would be strange for nobody to save somebody in battle at any point ever.

I do dislike the ‘just about to die, killer gets killed’ shit, but I don’t get that vibe from GoT other than the last season, which irked me a touch but in the grand scheme will be seen as acceptable, considering the slaughter we have seen before and we will likely see next season.

Yeah occasionally might have been an understatement.

I think the point of it though is that you're supposed to think the good guy is going to die, then the surprise is that they are saved.

Now I expect them to be saved and it's a surprise when they die.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/BigDamnHeroes/LiveActionTV

More than 25 occasions listed there, and that's not even all of them.

I love game of thrones though so it's forgivable, walking dead not so much.

• 2 weeks later...

It's the mid season finale on Monday and the story has moved on not one iota.

Please God make it stop. I literally dont know what is going on anymore. I watch it but find it impossible to concentrate and not be distracted.

Karl is a goner though right? Negan is some kind of super hero impossible to kill and Maggot still doesn't look pregnant.

Eugene has a great mullet though!

Yep the mid season finale was utterly shit. A disjointed, nonsensical, poorly edited pile of shit.

Lots of poor direction with faces, oh so many faces showing angst etc. Then some piss poor action.

The Negan as the least scary hard guy ever.

Thank christ Currrrrrl is dying. Annoying little shit. Only good thing he ever did was kill his annoying mother

Still watching, absolutely no idea what's going on and who the characters are either. Negan is the most non-threatening bad guy going. Fucking walks around pontificating and none of what he says is funny or engaging; pretty sure I could ad-lib something of similar quality. The way he delivers his lines too, should be in a panto.

Same, same, same, no idea who ayone is, no idea what was on fire, I geuinely fell asleep three times trying to watch the finale. Im getting really wound up over it that they're able to get away with it, why is there not more backlash, I absolutely detest Rick and his filthy grey beard and watery eyes, just fucking die you cunt. Eugene talking backwards like a gobshite, I actually thought Carl was growing into a good character or at least had the potential to.

The series was at its best when Rick and co. were roaming around town by town. It started to get shit when they all tried to form communities and fortresses. Much more potential for good storylines with new locations each time. They should have just ended it with Negan clubbing them all to death that time and not just two of the better characters in show.