You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had this conversation half a year ago and i think its all still the same.

but feel free to bump this thread again in a half years time and feel like your standing up against racism when its pure bullshit that your posting.

What we discussed Oliver Holt's column in todays Mirror, including talk of intoducing the ' Rooney Rule ' half a year ago? Maybe psychic Simon did, but I'm pretty sure the rest of us didn't.

And I haven't stated whether I agree or disagree with his column, so I'm not standing up against anything.

Now run along before you make an even bigger cuntknuckle of yourself.

Guest ShoePiss

I bet I'm not the only one that had no clue what the Rooney rule was :-

Rooney Rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The rule is named for Dan Rooney, the owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers and the chairman of the league's diversity committee, and indirectly the Rooney family in general, due to the Steelers' long history of giving African Americans opportunities to serve in team leadership roles.

The Rule was established to ensure that minority coaches, especially African American were considered for high-level coaching positions. Until 1979, Fritz Pollard was the only minority head coach in NFL history (which was during the league's early years in the 1920s) and by the time the Rule was implemented, only Tom Flores, Art Shell, Dennis Green, Ray Rhodes, Tony Dungy, and Herman Edwards had ever held head coaching jobs (Only Dungy and Edwards were actively head coaching at the time of the Rule's implementation, though Shell and Green would later return to the sidelines as head coaches). Dungy in particular had struggled for years before getting a head coaching job; he was often promoted as a head coaching candidate by Chuck Noll when Dungy was an assistant under Noll in 1980s with the Steelers, but he would not become a head coach until 1996 when he took over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Watched Cyrus Mehri on Sky Sports News and he made some good points. It's not about forcing the club to hire someone because he's black. It's about the interview process itself.

For example, the F.A. could have a list of names with everyone's qualifications. When a job comes up they could send the club a list of qualified candidates and the club interview say 3-5 off the list added to the ones they have on their own shortlist.

Even if the club go with one off their own list, the other candidates have experience for next time. And who knows, when they actually get a face to face meeting, they might impress enough to get the job or another position at the club, or the club might remember them for further down the line.

If the whole interview process was handled better, it would be better for the clubs in the long run.

And this isn't just a black thing, there's plenty of white would-be managers that don't get a shot when clubs go for the same old faces.

What we discussed Oliver Holt's column in todays Mirror, including talk of intoducing the ' Rooney Rule ' half a year ago? Maybe psychic Simon did, but I'm pretty sure the rest of us didn't.

And I haven't stated whether I agree or disagree with his column, so I'm not standing up against anything.

Now run along before you make an even bigger cuntknuckle of yourself.

You really are making the points more valid when you are throwing insults. how old are you ?

I think it is more the old LMA mates routine that is the problem rather than a racist agenda.

Plenty of decent would-be managers are ignored ( black & white ) while the same dinosaurs fall on their feet time and again after their previous failures.

Spot on.

I think it is more the old LMA mates routine that is the problem rather than a racist agenda.

Plenty of decent would-be managers are ignored ( black & white ) while the same dinosaurs fall on their feet time and again after their previous failures.

Missed that post first time around but it is spot on. If we think Sven and Fabio are shit wait till be get Woy or Arry in the Ingerland job. Not that I could care less.

One of my black mates supports Arsenal and he commented after the game that the Liverpool team that played that game was the first time he'd never seen a black person in a squad for a long time. I didnt noticed but it was true.

No self-respecting black guy is going to sign for a team whose club captain batters people for not playing Phil Collins records.

One of my black mates supports Arsenal and he commented after the game that the Liverpool team that played that game was the first time he'd never seen a black person in a squad for a long time. I didnt noticed but it was true.

Without Johnson in the side your mate is right, not fussed as long as the team gels.

Tedious bollocks.

The generation currently managing and coaching didn't contain many blakc players, for a start off. Subsequent generations (in the top flight at least) probably can't be arsed because they have enough money and a comfortable lifestyle.

How many of our ex players from the post-Barnes era, black or white, are managing clubs or coaching at a high level?

Tedious bollocks.

The generation currently managing and coaching didn't contain many blakc players, for a start off. Subsequent generations (in the top flight at least) probably can't be arsed because they have enough money and a comfortable lifestyle.

How many of our ex players from the post-Barnes era, black or white, are managing clubs or coaching at a high level?

Fuck me, a post that actually makes sense! The most ridiculous part of the holt article is the 25% of players - 2% of managers ratio. Surely a better comparison would be to compare the percentage of black managers now to the percentage of black players, say, 20 years ago. I'd imagine the 2 numbers would be much closer.