You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When are we likely to get definitive stadium news?

Nathanzx

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Could something be done with the Kop like at Spurs, make it significantly steeper?

It maybe wouldn’t have to go as far back then. 

That Spurs end holds 17/18k, the Kop holds 12/13k.

A quick Google tells me that Spurs stand has 82 rows. The Kop has 70+ anyway.

Well almost anything is possible with enough money and civil engineering. But the obvious answer is no. You'd effectively be looking at a full rebuild to do this. There's also the problem of the SKD roof line which would interfere with the line of sight from a steeper Kop.

They could probably make the ARE quite a bit higher but again, the higher seats would have the SKD roof in the way .

50 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Well almost anything is possible with enough money and civil engineering. But the obvious answer is no. You'd effectively be looking at a full rebuild to do this. There's also the problem of the SKD roof line which would interfere with the line of sight from a steeper Kop.

They could probably make the ARE quite a bit higher but again, the higher seats would have the SKD roof in the way .

The Main Stand has had a full rebuild and despite the lower ARE being kept, I’m sure it’ll be unrecognisable by the time it’s finished. 

I’m sure the could amend part of the stands like Spurs, so everybody has a good view…

4FDE511A-2608-4A24-ADBD-182ED5CA8F5F.jpeg

…what I would say is, I assume there wouldn’t be any corporate boxes built into any new Kop and it’s therefore not as profitable. 

Really missed an opportunity with that Centenary stand 30 years ago. 

Would be a total nightmare trying to expand it now after all the houses in the road behind it are privately owned. Liverpool bought a lot of them years ago but sold them. Could have built a larger stand back then. 

In any event unless there's a train station opened near the ground the limit Anfield can expand to is just under 68,000

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Would be a total nightmare trying to expand it now after all the houses in the road behind it are privately owned. Liverpool bought a lot of them years ago but sold them. Could have built a larger stand back then. 

In any event unless there's a train station opened near the ground the limit Anfield can expand to is just under 68,000

The houses behind the Centenary Stand aren’t / weren’t in as poor condition as the ones behind the Main Stand were they? 

Make The Kop like Spurs, that’s the 68k!

16 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

The houses behind the Centenary Stand aren’t / weren’t in as poor condition as the ones behind the Main Stand were they? 

Make The Kop like Spurs, that’s the 68k!

I think some were, they are all quite smart now though. But Liverpool owned quite a lot of them so there would be less issues or bad PR attempting to get a whole street demolished. 

I think if they kop was to be built bigger the road would have to be rerouted, the Park pub would go as well as the church and a small block of houses. 

Not impossible but don't think the owners have the urge to do it.

1 hour ago, Harry Squatter said:

Yep, totally agree. Should have done with Skerries what we did behind the Main Stand but Moores could only underwrite so much and attendances were not as high.

I still think the only viable option to increase capacity after the ARE is another 10 or 12 rows on the back of the SKD Upper needing the roof to be jacked up. Heaven knows what the cost would be for those extra 2,500 - 2,750 seats though.

As with the new Main Stand, the funding for the now SKD was the same, the fans paid for it.

2 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

The main stand before the rebuild was a joke. I can remember going there on a tour in 1984, the late 90s and then to a sportsman's dinner in 2011 and basically nothing had changed since the early 80s. Also the car park was so close to the back of the houses it felt like some lower league ground. 

Yeah and that was an extension itself with a 1970 build. Back then with standing we could get 56,000 crowds.

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yep, totally agree. Should have done with Skerries what we did behind the Main Stand but Moores could only underwrite so much and attendances were not as high.

I still think the only viable option to increase capacity after the ARE is another 10 or 12 rows on the back of the SKD Upper needing the roof to be jacked up. Heaven knows what the cost would be for those extra 2,500 - 2,750 seats though.

As with the new Main Stand, the funding for the now SKD was the same, the fans paid for it.

Think that whole stand needs a rebuild, the lower tier is awful if you are over 5ft as the leg room is non existent. I went to a friendly against Lazio in 2009 and I had a dead leg after the match for ages. That's the last time I've ever sat in there. 

They would probably want to expand the corporate aspect in there too. The hospitality always sells out but they still have the tickets where you visit Aintree, the Hilton and the Isla Gladstone. Maybe they would want to move all that inside. 

Tge stand could go higher as you say but I'm not sure how that affects the residents at the back of it with right to light etc.

15 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Think that whole stand needs a rebuild, the lower tier is awful if you are over 5ft as the leg room is non existent. I went to a friendly against Lazio in 2009 and I had a dead leg after the match for ages. That's the last time I've ever sat in there. 

They would probably want to expand the corporate aspect in there too. The hospitality always sells out but they still have the tickets where you visit Aintree, the Hilton and the Isla Gladstone. Maybe they would want to move all that inside. 

Tge stand could go higher as you say but I'm not sure how that affects the residents at the back of it with right to light etc.

Ha! The Kemlyn Knee! Yes, it is diabolical as well as uncomfortable. Unfortunately the only way to correct that would be to take out 4 or 5 rows and reprofile but they'll never do that.

They could build forward of the current front as there's quite a bit of space. Ive no doubt people would use the right to light argument but because of the angle and height the extra 10 or 12 rows would be at, Im not sure if they would cause a real problem?

I'm sure that there was some suggestion in some of the Homebaked Committee meetings that the area of Oakfield Rd by the ground was going to be pedestrianised. May be wishful thinking on my part, but if correct it might make room for a Kop expansion of some sort.

On 26/01/2022 at 16:15, Scott_M said:
On 26/01/2022 at 16:15, Scott_M said:

The Main Stand has had a full rebuild and despite the lower ARE being kept, I’m sure it’ll be unrecognisable by the time it’s finished. 

I’m sure the could amend part of the stands like Spurs, so everybody has a good view…

4FDE511A-2608-4A24-ADBD-182ED5CA8F5F.jpeg

…what I would say is, I assume there wouldn’t be any corporate boxes built into any new Kop and it’s therefore not as profitable. 

Tbh I wouldn’t thank you for a Kop like that! 

The beauty of the Kop is that it’s dark and imposing. With its low roof It’s that dark you struggle to see where it ends. The fans on the Kop make it what it is.

Ideally we’ll one day get safe standing which could maybe increase the capacity on there if they allowed a ratio 1:1.25 for example. Whether the infrastructure of the current stand could accommodate another 3k fans is another matter. 

Safe standing @ 1:1.25 in the Kop and lower Annie could get us up to 65k which would be the maximum possible I think without huge rebuilds of the Kop/Kenny. 

• 1 month later...
On 31/01/2022 at 00:21, devilsadvocate said:

Tbh I wouldn’t thank you for a Kop like that! 

The beauty of the Kop is that it’s dark and imposing. With its low roof It’s that dark you struggle to see where it ends. The fans on the Kop make it what it is.

Ideally we’ll one day get safe standing which could maybe increase the capacity on there if they allowed a ratio 1:1.25 for example. Whether the infrastructure of the current stand could accommodate another 3k fans is another matter. 

Safe standing @ 1:1.25 in the Kop and lower Annie could get us up to 65k which would be the maximum possible I think without huge rebuilds of the Kop/Kenny. 

I'm pretty sure that the kop can't hold more people, for both the ability to get them out and structurally. And of course Europe doesn't acknowledge safe standing and those areas need to be classed as seated for those games. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm pretty sure that the kop can't hold more people, for both the ability to get them out and structurally. And of course Europe doesn't acknowledge safe standing and those areas need to be classed as seated for those games. 

Agree with the first parts mate it would be a nightmare but are you sure abut the safe standing/europe bit Baz? I'm sure there are loads of safe standing areas across Europe? I might be wrong. Dortmund for example, Celtic Park have a corner thats safe standing..? 

Im pretty sure UEFA's stance is clubs cannot use safe standing in it's club competitions. Of course people do stand in stadiums during European games. Loads have started standing in the 2 blocks lower SKD Kop end during games but technically, UEFA could sanction the clubs for allowing it.

18 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Agree with the first parts mate it would be a nightmare but are you sure abut the safe standing/europe bit Baz? I'm sure there are loads of safe standing areas across Europe? I might be wrong. Dortmund for example, Celtic Park have a corner thats safe standing..? 

I know Dortmund have to revert back to seats for CL games reducing the capacity.

When we were planning the new main stand and we were knocking down the buildings on Walton breck road, there was a lad from one of the fan groups campaigning for us to reroute WBR 30 yards back behind the kop to give us room for a concourse that would accommodate an extension / new build kop when the time comes. Still could be a viable option in the future while things stalled round there unless a load of new houses get there first. 

i think the kop will be rebuilt in the next 10 years, the'll find away. the most shocking thing about liverpool is the shite bus links to the stadium on match days, its ok if you know where your going, but to day trippers it's completely invisible. I've been told that its a deliberate plot by a bunch of evertonians who run liverpool city council, any truth in that?

12 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

i think the kop will be rebuilt in the next 10 years, the'll find away. the most shocking thing about liverpool is the shite bus links to the stadium on match days, its ok if you know where your going, but to day trippers it's completely invisible. I've been told that its a deliberate plot by a bunch of evertonians who run liverpool city council, any truth in that?

City Council have nothing to do with the buses. That deerty Redshite Rotheram is in charge of Merseytravel, but beyond the Soccerbus there's nowt they can do, thanks to the joys of privatisation. Mind you, they're looking to re-regulate in the next few years, so they can sort out matchday buses then 

7 hours ago, Mathewbet1 said:

If you Google it, stage coach tell you pretty clearly where it picks up from in the city. 

The map showing where it picks up is a little confusing though. Bus direction and the red dotted line looks like it goes towards anfield down WBR. Could be made clearer that the red line is where you need to walk to to catch it. 

But yeah it should be clearer / signposted etc in the city and at the ground. 

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/merseyside-and-south-lancashire/buses-to-liverpool-football-club

12 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Absolutely certain. They make you use them as seats. Lots of places operate a reduced capacity because of this. Obviously in the UK the only safe standing /rail seats are running on a 1:1 ratio anyway, so I don't know if uefa enforce people sit - they don't on the kop now which doesn't have any style of safe seating. But I'm absolutely certain the official operating format of any rail seating area that increases capacity with standing, needs to operate at the seating capacity for uefa matches. 

If you look here.for example in the 19-20 season, you will see the uefa games have a 15k reduced capacity. 

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/borussia-dortmund/attendances/2019-2020