You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When are we likely to get definitive stadium news?

Nathanzx

I hope the club have consulted with the families over this, and I hope it has been made clear that rail seating that allows for future implimentation of safe standing (emphasis on the word 'safe') is a world away from a crumbling terrace with fans crammed in like sardines (like Leppings Lane in the 80s).

• Upvote 1

Rail seating is clearly much, much safer than standing in areas that are not designed for standing in.

I have seen some pretty dodgy situations develop at aways and in the 300's in The Kop and picked up a couple of injuries as a result of standing in areas not designed to be stood in.....I recall at the Man City home game in the European Cup a fella from row behind ending up in the row in front of us....and when he climbed back to where he was it was as clear as day he was not meant to be in the row he fell from anyway....this happens week in week out and at aways mates congregate with no regard for the numbers on their tickets....rail seating/safe standing stops this.

The 'technology' (for want of a better word) is there now to allow people to stand and do so safely and it is in my book right that clubs including ours take advantage of it.

Doing so does not in my opinion disrespect the dead from Hillsborough, or their families or survivors - my view is that continuing to allow unsafe standing (which is what standing in areas not designed for standing in is) is actually more a case of disrespecting the dead, the families and survivors.

Safe standing also offers a choice.....those who wish to be a part of it can be and those who do not still have the option to not be - that is a good thing IMHO and should continue to be the case.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jockey said:

I've always been slightly dubious by the argument against safe standing - as it always seemed to offer the authorities a route out of responsibility e.g. it wasn't safe to start with, so really it was always out of our control what happened. Safe standing does work in Germany and it should be an option here. As others have said the emphasis is upon 'safe'. That is its primary focus. 

It is not for me, I like my comforts - I like sitting down. 

You maybe need to try my seat in the kop, standing is comfort compared to that. I would see standing up as an upgrade to my seat! 

3 hours ago, Trumo said:

I hope the club have consulted with the families over this, and I hope it has been made clear that rail seating that allows for future implimentation of safe standing (emphasis on the word 'safe') is a world away from a crumbling terrace with fans crammed in like sardines (like Leppings Lane in the 80s).

I know the club make some unbelievable fuck ups, but I just can't see they haven't told them. I saw a snippet earlier but was only scan reading the article that said they were notified in advance and something silly like "rail seating doesn't mean safe standing". Whatever the fuck that means. I thought the whole idea is the stadium is set up in either sitting mode or the sest tucks away under the rail behind and can be used in standing mode. But regardless, I can't see all we did was "notify" the families, they must have talked to them. 

10 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Leeds are submitting new plans to increase the capacity to 55,000 at Elland Road. They had previous plans approved to make it up to 50,000 from 39,000 but now they want to go for an even higher capacity. 

No real land issues round there either. 

They won’t be able to do the stand actually on Elland Rd, where away support used to be put, because of the road directly behind it. It’s a busy road as well. 

Although they use a lot of the space behind the John Charles and North Stand for park and ride into the centre these days (and COVID19 vaccination parking) there is still huge space to redevelop those stands.

To be fair, they’ve been on about a new ground or extending since Ridsdale was in charge. BMD has nothing on Leeds.

As I said to Mark in the TSOP group this morning, happy to have a TLW BBQ at mine before or after the game!

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Leeds are submitting new plans to increase the capacity to 55,000 at Elland Road. They had previous plans approved to make it up to 50,000 from 39,000 but now they want to go for an even higher capacity. 

No real land issues round there either. 

They were into a new ground before they fucked up didn't they? I don't know much about Leeds really, but I would expect being a 1 team city of a size significantly bigger than ours, it shouldn't be any issue filling it. 

45 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

They were into a new ground before they fucked up didn't they? I don't know much about Leeds really, but I would expect being a 1 team city of a size significantly bigger than ours, it shouldn't be any issue filling it. 

I think so. You always get "Leeds would have taken more" comments on social media when there's any mention of away support . 

They still used the current ground as a set for that Damned United film but made sure the new large stand was obscured. The three old stands look like they are falling apart.

Leeds’ fan base should be bigger than it is.

To the west, the next clubs are Huddersfield and Bradford - 10-15 miles away. 

To the north the next club is Middlesborough - 70 miles away. 

To the south, the next clubs are Barnsley and the Sheffields club - 25 - 35 miles away. 

To the east, the next club is Hull - 62 miles away. 

In those catchment areas there are some genuinely big towns in Harrogate, Wakefield, York, Halifax and a few others.

The fact they biggest selling shirt in Leeds every season is a Man Utd shirt, says it all really.

5 hours ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Can't be done, the roof truss of the MS is in the way.

It can be done, but it would require the roof support truss to be revised in the corners, the way Dortmund did with the Westfalenstadion. I imagine it is very expensive. Dortmund's improvements were funded because it was to be a host World Cup venue for 2006. Here are the pre- and post- pics.

ein-bild-aus-dem-jahr-2001-das-westfalen

e0a11170a4324da98bfe7e1918820225.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Trumo said:

It can be done, but it would require the roof support truss to be revised in the corners, the way Dortmund did with the Westfalenstadion. I imagine it is very expensive. Dortmund's improvements were funded because it was to be a host World Cup venue for 2006. Here are the pre- and post- pics.

ein-bild-aus-dem-jahr-2001-das-westfalen

e0a11170a4324da98bfe7e1918820225.jpg

Is there ever a chance we can expand the kop to the size of Dortmunds? Knock down buildings on Walton breck road and divert the road around or even under?

3 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

Is there ever a chance we can expand the kop to the size of Dortmunds? Knock down buildings on Walton breck road and divert the road around or even under?

Engineering-wise, there are probably a number of solutions. The issues are whether permission will be granted, but mostly of the cost. To have the same number of seats as the current Kop, but with more modern spacing dimensions and facilities, means the stand's footprint would have to be a lot bigger anyway. Is it worth all the trouble and expense if it doesn't bring in a significant amount more money than at present?