You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When are we likely to get definitive stadium news?

Nathanzx

Redasever, third rate architect, with second hand ideas, locked in an era of bovril and hovis, happy to pay inflated prices as FSG squeeze excess demand from undersupply,fellow traveller in the ultimate capitalist squeeze.

All I have predicted has come true, watch this space.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Redasever, third rate architect, with second hand ideas, locked in an era of bovril and hovis, happy to pay inflated prices as FSG squeeze excess demand from undersupply,fellow traveller in the ultimate capitalist squeeze.

If only you could name one. Just one.

It was interesting reading a couple of your recent posts. Nothing has changed with you. I would have thought you would have picked up something over time. Sadly not.

Meanwhile, everyone else has moved on.

The new stadium has been exposed for the dead weight that it was. The Anfield Plaza, a weak and pathetic sop to planning. The total absence of any tangible or intangible benefit to the area of community. The complete lack of action on housing.

And a redeveloped Anfield emerges at or about 60k costing £150m (should be a fine job) and more... a reinvigorated High Street, a food plaza in the park (whether you like or not) and more, very much more indeed - a 20-year housing stalemate unlocked and transforming the area - all the things you said couldn't happen, or even shouldn't happen.

Never mind mate. I suppose you had fun while it lasted. I did.

• Upvote 1

Give yourself a pat on the back.

• 1 month later...

To be taken with a HUGE pinch of salt, but a poster on Skyscrapercity is claiming to have seen some plans for a new Main Stand that will seat over 20,000 with more than 5000 premium seats, taking Anfield's capacity to about 53,500 before development work then starts on the ARE. He's claiming that KSS (the firm behind Brighton's new AMEX Stadium) have done the plans.

More interesting on that thread are the ramblings of knobheads who simply want to whine and moan regardless of what is or isn't happening. What is it about forums that attracts twats like these?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=109040542#post109040542

The proposals for redevelopment will test the commitment of FSG.

The detail in the apparent leak on skyscrapercity is pretty practical and may well be based in substance.

Currently the Main Stand holds 12,227, it will need to increase to 20,000+ just to add eight thousand onto our capacity to take us to 53,500 and beyond. That would of course dwarf the Kop, altering the dynamic of the stadium.

Arsenal’s premium seating is just under 10,000, Man U’s just over, we currently have 4000 premium seats so an extra 5000 premium seats seems realistic, although that would only increase capacity for ordinary fans by 3,500. Furthermore much of the inner space will be taken by improved Directors/media/ dressing room/ medical/ club office facilities.

The ARE currently holds 9,074, the largest end in the country, the Holte End, only holds just over 13,000 so a redeveloped ARE would only add an extra 4000 to capacity taking overall capacity up to around 57,500. It would again be larger than the Kop, altering the dynamic of the stadium further.

My concern has always been that we will end up with a half new/half old stadium which, by the time it is built, will probably cost us as much as a brand new stadium would have cost us several years ago.

• Upvote 1

My concern has always been that we will end up with a half new/half old stadium which, by the time it is built, will probably cost us as much as a brand new stadium would have cost us several years ago.

Would that be such a bad thing though compared to the soulless IKEA models that Arsenal and City ended up with?

Guest San Don

To be taken with a HUGE pinch of salt, but a poster on Skyscrapercity is claiming to have seen some plans for a new Main Stand that will seat over 20,000 with more than 5000 premium seats, taking Anfield's capacity to about 53,500 before development work then starts on the ARE. He's claiming that KSS (the firm behind Brighton's new AMEX Stadium) have done the plans.

More interesting on that thread are the ramblings of knobheads who simply want to whine and moan regardless of what is or isn't happening. What is it about forums that attracts twats like these?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=109040542#post109040542

Doubt this very much. It doesn't make sense to start the build with the main stand. They will lose more seats, revenue, not to mention hospitality and restrict development and re build of ARE by starting here. Of course there are ways around all obstacles but frankly I can't see them starting on the Main Stand before the ARE.

Would that be such a bad thing though compared to the soulless IKEA models that Arsenal and City ended up with?

Too much is made of this in my opinion.

It's not the ground which makes the atmosphere but the people inside it and Anfield hasn't exactly been rocking recently.

Haven't been to City but the Emirates is an excellent stadium which could have an excellent atmosphere except for the Arsenal lot beeing mainly cunts

• Upvote 1

It doesn't make sense to start the build with the main stand. They will lose more seats, revenue, not to mention hospitality and restrict development and re build of ARE by starting here. Of course there are ways around all obstacles but frankly I can't see them starting on the Main Stand before the ARE.

Fair comment.

My own view is that redevelopment has been presented as a simple, cheap option, when it may not be.

FSG could do the ARE now. The only question is whether the AR would be bridged, or closed, the latter offering greater amenity space- and therefore financial return, but requiring a more complex planning route.

If some of the lower terracing was included in the “new” structure of the Main Stand some of it could be operational quite quickly. Do we do it slowly, with extended disruption, or bite the bullet and close two parts of the ground? And there is the unspoken option of using Goodison temporarily to give the builders a clear run.

The something old and something new clearly works at the Millennium Stadium which may not be particularly beautiful but has the advantage of close proximity to the pitch and helps to generate a good  atmosphere. It is not dedicated to corporate customers but regular supporters. As a Kop season ticket holder from the seventies there was just as much noise coming from other areas of the ground so any concerns of the Kop not being the largest stand should not be a concern as a larger ARE would probably be populated by newer and probably younger supporters who are likely to increase noise and atmosphere.. 

.. And there is the unspoken option of using Goodison temporarily to give the builders a clear run.

Not while there's a hole in my arse will we share woodison.

Most likely they could build the third tier behind the ARE allowing it to operate fully for a season. Then bridge-over the road to complete a larger second tier in the summer. That way they re-open a redeveloped ARE mid-season to seat those who get turfed out by work to the Main Stand (If that makes sense). It's the logisitics that's adding to the cost, but it would never justify leaving Anfield empty for 2 years to get a good run at it.

I don't get this thinking that the Kop needs to be the biggest stand in the ground: It's fucking massive as it is. I get the symbolism but you don't limit your expansion for the sake of symbolism. You do it to get as many bums on seats as you can.

• Upvote 1