You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When are we likely to get definitive stadium news?

Nathanzx

The policy and material considerations; and by extension the harm and impact should be the same regardless of ownership at this stage. I would always expect a rigorous examination when applying in such close quarters as this. So you're correct we shouldn't treat it as a foregone conclusion. Although let's be honest, LFC is pretty much the only regeneration game in L4, certainly on large scale and with the ability to deliver large scale improvements and wide knock on benefits, so they have a good hand, although the fucking about of the last 15 or so years has largely used up their goodwill.

As I say, I would also think that it would be better and advantageous to have the land or at least the options before proceeding. I was just putting it out there that the project and timescale is not solely driven by the Planning App.

All fair comment.

One of the problems is that developing two stands hardly represents regeneration, no large scale improvement and few benefits to the community. A new Anfield and Anfield Plaza did.

The massing of the new main Stand will need to be considerable and it is the scale which may present planning problems if the club cannot buy enough property in its new shadow.

But, exactly, think about the dynamic of that relationship, how long before Twixi became the dominant character as opposed to Brendan. You could argue that this has already happened at City, the way in which Mancini crumpled and reports of the team not getting on with him, I found it all a bit accelerated compared with the usual managerial casualty in this league, especially as he just won the league last year. But the knives were out by January, so you can't blame the League Cup loss on it either.

You don't go appointing someone like Twixi and then expect him to keep quiet and not go stamping his foot and saying "BUT I WORKED FOR BARCA, WAHHH" from time to time when he doesn't like something. He would have dwarfed Brendan had that happened, that's not fair.

We've got more than enough club legends to appoint to a position like this, we don't need some rent-a-knob. I'm not convinced at all with Twixi, just as I'm not convinced by Guardiola. All seems a bit convenient that they became the best coaches in the world at the exact time that Messi, Iniesta and Xavi came through the ranks and reached a mature age. It's like United with Beckham, Nevilles, Butt, Scholes and Giggs all developing at the same time. It's not a sign of an astonishing youth system, it's fucking fluke, as the following 15-20 years has proven. Same with Barca to a lesser degree, they don't grow Messi's and Iniesta's on trees around Catalunia, but there's plenty of decent players just not truly world class ones.

*cue loads of comments about Busquets, Thiago, Tello, Montoya, Fabregas and Pique being world class*

But hey, this isnt a Barca thread, this is about structure at the club. Undermining Rodgers and creating tensions is all that would have happened had we appointed a big name foreign DoF.

FFS what exactly does someone have to do to take credit for success then?

• 2 weeks later...

£260m Anfield regeneration plans revealed (VIDEO) - Liverpool Echo

The ambitious scheme will see hundreds of new homes, new business premises, a revamped stadium for Liverpool FC, a village square, a hospitality academy hotel with 100 beds and a “pedestrian-friendly” avenue gateway cutting through Stanley Park right up to the football ground.

Around 300 vacant or derelict houses will have to be demolished to make way for the plans, which will include the refurbishment of around 500 homes.

Around 250 new homes will be added to the growing Parks housing estate development.

Residents who have lived in uncertainty for more than a decade have been given their first glimpse of the plans, which are being spearheaded by the council, the Reds and housing association Your Housing.

The project, which should take around five years to complete, will be the biggest single regeneration push in the city after the multi-billion pound Liverpool Waters development.

VIDEO: Look inside one of the new Anfield homes and learn more about the plans

Mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson, who has been in high-level talks with Reds owner John Henry and housing chiefs for more than six months, said the people of Anfield had been “let down badly” in the past, and deserved to see their community restored to its former glory.

The football club’s plans will account for up to £150m of the £260m price tag for the project. The Reds will remain at Anfield and expand the stadium on its current footprint.

The rest of the investment will go on new roads and infrastructure, renovated housing and newly built homes.

Around 700 new jobs will be created, and Stanley Park will become home to a ‘food hub’, including what the ECHO understands to be a market garden growing local produce.

Mayor Anderson said: “We’ve been thinking that you can’t just have house building and refurbishment just on their own. There can’t be any regeneration without regenerating the wider community.

“That’s why we’ve established this partnership with Your Housing group and the Club, and it was absolutely essential that we did that.

“Despite the government pulling the housing market renewal (HMR) money, we are making progress anyway, with political determination and vision.”

So far, more than £40m of improvements have already been made in the area, including some new housing developments by Keepmoat Homes, the Isla Gladstone Conservatory in Stanley Park, the Four Oaks Primary School and Mere Lane health centre.

But Mayor Anderson said despite progress so far, he was determined to make sure no promises were made that couldn’t be delivered, adding: “I’m absolutely determined not to allow officers who work for the council or the Club or anybody to exaggerate what will be achieved.

“For far too long people have been given the impression that things would change and improve, but they didn’t.”

Brian Cronin, Chief Executive, Your Housing Group, with Mayor Joe Anderson *

The ECHO understands that the council’s contribution to the overall cost will include around £13m of government funding, and a large proportion of the value of the scheme is tied up in land and property owned by the council.

Money the club must provide in return for planning permission – known as “Section 106 money” – will also go towards the cost of the project, and potentially any European funding that was given on the condition Liverpool FC built a new stadium in the park, which could be around £7m.

View gallery

""""""""""

Archive pictures of Anfield football ground, home of Liverpool FC

View gallery *

While the overall project incorporates Anfield stadium being enhanced, the Club is keen to make sure it wins the support of local residents.

But while it owns a number of houses in Lothair Road – immediately behind the ground – and Your Housing (formerly Arena) owns many more in the Rockfield Road area, there are some properties owned by private landlords which the council is currently in talks about purchasing.

Lothair Road in Anfield *

Council sources said if the owners were not willing to sell at a reasonable price then the authority would not be afraid to resort to using its compulsory purchase powers.

Residents who were last night invited to a meeting at the Isla Gladstone conservatory to look at the plans will be given six weeks to feed back their views, before more concrete proposals are worked up and an official consultation held, with planning applications expected to be lodged next year.

Brian Cronin, chief executive of the Your Housing group, said: “A lot has already been achieved in Anfield through the determination of community leaders and residents – and those people should rightly take pride in their achievements.

“But there is still a huge amount to be done to realise our wider vision, and we will continue to work with Liverpool City Council and the local community to ensure a positive outcome for Anfield and its residents, who can now begin to look forward to a positive future for the area.”

Residents can see more at Welcome to The Anfield Project - The Anfield Project.

£260m Anfield regeneration plans revealed (VIDEO) - Liverpool Echo

The ambitious scheme will see hundreds of new homes, new business premises, a revamped stadium for Liverpool FC, a village square, a hospitality academy hotel with 100 beds and a “pedestrian-friendly” avenue gateway cutting through Stanley Park right up to the football ground.

Around 300 vacant or derelict houses will have to be demolished to make way for the plans, which will include the refurbishment of around 500 homes.

Around 250 new homes will be added to the growing Parks housing estate development.

Residents who have lived in uncertainty for more than a decade have been given their first glimpse of the plans, which are being spearheaded by the council, the Reds and housing association Your Housing.

The project, which should take around five years to complete, will be the biggest single regeneration push in the city after the multi-billion pound Liverpool Waters development.

VIDEO: Look inside one of the new Anfield homes and learn more about the plans

Mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson, who has been in high-level talks with Reds owner John Henry and housing chiefs for more than six months, said the people of Anfield had been “let down badly” in the past, and deserved to see their community restored to its former glory.

The football club’s plans will account for up to £150m of the £260m price tag for the project. The Reds will remain at Anfield and expand the stadium on its current footprint.

The rest of the investment will go on new roads and infrastructure, renovated housing and newly built homes.

Around 700 new jobs will be created, and Stanley Park will become home to a ‘food hub’, including what the ECHO understands to be a market garden growing local produce.

Mayor Anderson said: “We’ve been thinking that you can’t just have house building and refurbishment just on their own. There can’t be any regeneration without regenerating the wider community.

“That’s why we’ve established this partnership with Your Housing group and the Club, and it was absolutely essential that we did that.

“Despite the government pulling the housing market renewal (HMR) money, we are making progress anyway, with political determination and vision.”

So far, more than £40m of improvements have already been made in the area, including some new housing developments by Keepmoat Homes, the Isla Gladstone Conservatory in Stanley Park, the Four Oaks Primary School and Mere Lane health centre.

But Mayor Anderson said despite progress so far, he was determined to make sure no promises were made that couldn’t be delivered, adding: “I’m absolutely determined not to allow officers who work for the council or the Club or anybody to exaggerate what will be achieved.

“For far too long people have been given the impression that things would change and improve, but they didn’t.”

Brian Cronin, Chief Executive, Your Housing Group, with Mayor Joe Anderson *

The ECHO understands that the council’s contribution to the overall cost will include around £13m of government funding, and a large proportion of the value of the scheme is tied up in land and property owned by the council.

Money the club must provide in return for planning permission – known as “Section 106 money” – will also go towards the cost of the project, and potentially any European funding that was given on the condition Liverpool FC built a new stadium in the park, which could be around £7m.

View gallery

""""""""""

Archive pictures of Anfield football ground, home of Liverpool FC

View gallery *

While the overall project incorporates Anfield stadium being enhanced, the Club is keen to make sure it wins the support of local residents.

But while it owns a number of houses in Lothair Road – immediately behind the ground – and Your Housing (formerly Arena) owns many more in the Rockfield Road area, there are some properties owned by private landlords which the council is currently in talks about purchasing.

Lothair Road in Anfield *

Council sources said if the owners were not willing to sell at a reasonable price then the authority would not be afraid to resort to using its compulsory purchase powers.

Residents who were last night invited to a meeting at the Isla Gladstone conservatory to look at the plans will be given six weeks to feed back their views, before more concrete proposals are worked up and an official consultation held, with planning applications expected to be lodged next year.

Brian Cronin, chief executive of the Your Housing group, said: “A lot has already been achieved in Anfield through the determination of community leaders and residents – and those people should rightly take pride in their achievements.

“But there is still a huge amount to be done to realise our wider vision, and we will continue to work with Liverpool City Council and the local community to ensure a positive outcome for Anfield and its residents, who can now begin to look forward to a positive future for the area.”

Residents can see more at Welcome to The Anfield Project - The Anfield Project.

Looks good, clearly a lot of work has been done behind the scenes by the club, and a lot more needs to be done....but it looks promising! :)

Whatever about an individuals opinion is of FSG and their football knowledge, I think it's safe to say they oversaw a successful redevelopment of Fenway and the surrounding area, this is what a lot of people liked about them at the start. I think they will get this right. LFC are a massive club with a massive global fanbase. Having more club owned facilities around the ground is a major step forward and is something I think most logical fans have been looking for a number of years. Commercially we had been eating the mancs dust for twenty years, this proposed development could see us close that gap significantly.

not big enough, short sighted if you ask me

Be nice to finally get my season ticket, i'll just have to tell my future kids what its like to watch a match live

I know it's not the point you at making but LFC are not responsible for that. Football has moved in that direction and either we move with it or we fall further behind, sadly.

LFC are responsible for not thinking we'd sell out a 70000 or bigger because we would.

If you have a load of cheap tickets for locals, dads and lads, a new boys pen were it'd be like £10 to get in, teamed with expensive seats for those who can pay more and loads of corporate stuff, it'd sell out.

This is from Ayre's piece in the echo. Sounds a lot less than definitive.

The football club made clear last October that our preferred solution to an increased capacity was to remain at the spiritual home of the football club at Anfield.

The viability of delivering that aspiration is inextricably linked with the prospect of creating an economically viable solution.

The acquisition of the necessary land to expand at the right price has to be augmented by our extensive work on designs, demand, planning and construction. Together this creates a viable solution for the club and the wider Anfield community.

Just like any business, any investment we make has to be economically viable and sustainable over the long term.

Similar to other clubs, we have a statutory obligation to our shareholders to use their money wisely. We also have the same obligation to our fans who each week give us their hard earned money at the turnstiles.

This means that we can only proceed with this project if we have certainty – certainty around the shared regeneration vision, certainty around our ability to purchase the land required, certainty around whether there is demand for additional capacity and what the make up of this is and certainty around the collaboration of all partners and stakeholders.

Whatever about an individuals opinion is of FSG and their football knowledge, I think it's safe to say they oversaw a successful redevelopment of Fenway and the surrounding area, this is what a lot of people liked about them at the start. I think they will get this right. LFC are a massive club with a massive global fanbase. Having more club owned facilities around the ground is a major step forward and is something I think most logical fans have been looking for a number of years. Commercially we had been eating the mancs dust for twenty years, this proposed development could see us close that gap significantly.

There is no commitment to club owned facilities around the ground, although land which we own may provide that opportunity. The driver for land acquisition has been to acquire the physical space upon which to build larger stands and offer the required right to light to surrounding property, not to effect commercial development opportunity.

The capacity, still unknown, but believed to be around 60,000 falls short of both our potential and the elite ground capacities. The facilities that a half new / half old ground will offer are equally unknown.

Until the capacity/facilities questions are answered how much of a step forwards this represents will be unclear.

Guest San Don
So the club is making a substantial contribution to the redevelopment of the area in return for planning permission, the detail of which is still unknown.

Only a few weeks ago, you were wringing your hands and grinding what teeth you have left, about the club not splashing the cash. Now, when they are, you're moaning (no change there, then) about them splashing the cash and not having told you what the details are.

Ah, bless.

Guest San Don
LFC are responsible for not thinking we'd sell out a 70000 or bigger because we would.

If you have a load of cheap tickets for locals, dads and lads, a new boys pen were it'd be like £10 to get in, teamed with expensive seats for those who can pay more and loads of corporate stuff, it'd sell out.

I dont think its that Walty lad. I think the council have effectively restricted the club to 60,000 unless the club was able to pay for new railway lines, station and road upgrades to be able to handle 70,000 fans trooping into and out of anfield on matchdays.

I dont think its that Walty lad. I think the council have effectively restricted the club to 60,000 unless the club was able to pay for new railway lines, station and road upgrades to be able to handle 70,000 fans trooping into and out of anfield on matchdays.

Pretty sure there's already a line from the docks to the junction at Wavertree Technology Park...it's for goods only so would require money to upgrade to be able to carry passengers and there would need to be new stations

Not sure what they'd be able to do about the roads; not much would be my guess

Pretty sure there's already a line from the docks to the junction at Wavertree Technology Park...it's for goods only so would require money to upgrade to be able to carry passengers and there would need to be new stations

Not sure what they'd be able to do about the roads; not much would be my guess

Nearest that line goes to Anfield is where it crosses Utting Avenue, near the Clarence pub. Still a good 15 min walk from the ground, probably not that much nearer than Sandhills, which already caters for passengers.

There's still 8 houses that the owners won't sell. Seems inevitable that the council will have to use CPO powers but that could take ages so don't bother saving up for that season ticket just yet.

I thought Ayres said a couple of weeks ago that we would be submitting a planning application before the start of the season? Did anyone ask him which fucking season

Exactly.

We went over this plenty of times back in the C&A days.

Unlike a London team which has access to a vast array of transport links we are quite restricted.

LCC always wanted us to boost the transport links. There was talk of the old railway line being revamped. Reality soon bit though.

There's still 8 houses that the owners won't sell. Seems inevitable that the council will have to use CPO powers but that could take ages so don't bother saving up for that season ticket just yet.

I thought Ayres said a couple of weeks ago that we would be submitting a planning application before the start of the season? Did anyone ask him which fucking season

Got to be Bitters, or greedy bastards.

Would love it if we got bought by some multi billionaire and he/she strides in and is told the stadium revamp is being held by 8 houses.

"Fuck them! Build a stadium on that park over there instead. It'll be the best in the world. Leave those fuckers to rot in their hovel, they had their chance"

Got to be Bitters, or greedy bastards.

Would love it if we got bought by some multi billionaire and he/she strides in and is told the stadium revamp is being held by 8 houses.

"Fuck them! Build a stadium on that park over there instead. It'll be the best in the world. Leave those fuckers to rot in their hovel, they had their chance"

I haven't read the story (deliberately) but 2 are owned by a "Businessman" a headline on NewsNow says who "Wants his day in Court".

Will just be a greedy git who saw his opportunity & wants a small fortune playing hostage taker.

This is the one occasion when I'd not be against a Reds supporting Heavy or two to go and talk with him & ask him to see it different!