You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Home made curry

Preston Red

Have just made your curry PR. Very straightforward. Rather than getting the food processor out..hate cleaning the thing...I added th e onion mixture to the tomatoes and used a hand blender and that worked fine.

A couple of tweaks to the recipe...I added some salt. Dont use a lot in my cooking but find you get a more 'authentic' taste with adding some salt, maybe 1/2 - 1 teasp. And also some ginger. I bought a piece and then forgot to put it in at the 'garlic' stage so added 1/4 teasp ground ginger to the tomato sauce.

Oh, and I didnt add the red chillies because it tasted surprisingly hot with just the one green chilli. As I say to my son, its not an exact science...

Looks good. Just waiting to see how it tastes with rice, naan and M&S onion bhajis on the side............

Glad you've tried it and hope you enjoy it. I used my hand blender as well for ease as getting the processor can be a total arseache.

I would've said M&S naans as well.

We did and it was very good, although it was hard for Mr C to admit after I told him where the recipe came from (he's a Tangerine). I have a recipe for Chicken Vindaloo that I have used for years which is very good but seemed more complicated than yours. Will be using this again

We did and it was very good, although it was hard for Mr C to admit after I told him where the recipe came from (he's a Tangerine). I have a recipe for Chicken Vindaloo that I have used for years which is very good but seemed more complicated than yours. Will be using this again

We all have a cross to bear haha.

Glad you guys enjoyed it. It's a good recipe that you can tweak around with like you've done and get it to your taste.

What's a Tarka daal like Remmie? Is it a hot or generally mild curry? I'll have a look at that recipe too.

Daal is an Indian soup made with Lentils. Tarka Daal tends to use Chana Lentils which is your chunkier type and gives it a thicker texture. It's usually a pretty mild dish and had as a side order to temper the hotter curries in your average curry house, however I like to double up the spices and chillies to give it more kick and flavour and I love the stuff. I make a batch of it as it does take a couple hours to make and reheats nicely in the microwave at work. My Indian housemate seemed to like it so can't be too bad!

Daal is an Indian soup made with Lentils. Tarka Daal tends to use Chana Lentils which is your chunkier type and gives it a thicker texture. It's usually a pretty mild dish and had as a side order to temper the hotter curries in your average curry house, however I like to double up the spices and chillies to give it more kick and flavour and I love the stuff. I make a batch of it as it does take a couple hours to make and reheats nicely in the microwave at work. My Indian housemate seemed to like it so can't be too bad!

One would expect it to be otter!

I never did get round to making pineapple curry, made some with Banana before, was top notch. I love weird food, another reason to love Simon.

Sounds like you would have loved the garden fruit curry that i had in goa.

Allsorts of stuff in that Banana,pineapple,apricots,peas etc all in a korma style sauce.

What's a Tarka daal like Remmie?

Daal is the business. If ordering a takeaway I would always get a daal. Its usually made with yellow split peas. As Remmie says, though, it does take time to make but if you're having it as a side dish you will have enough left over to freeze for another time. Pretty sure the las ttime I made it I used a recipe from the BBC

Daal is the business. If ordering a takeaway I would always get a daal. Its usually made with yellow split peas. As Remmie says, though, it does take time to make but if you're having it as a side dish you will have enough left over to freeze for another time. Pretty sure the las ttime I made it I used a recipe from the BBC

I am making Tarka daal tonight, loosely following this recipe: BBC - Food - Recipes : Tarka dal
This one?

• 5 years later...

Watching Forest Gump atm. When it's done I plan to make a chicken, pea and broccoli vindaloo. Just some plain boiled rice, pepper and salt. Expecting good things.

Just a shame I've got no spinach in.

Well that was a triumph, even if I say so myself.

Star of the show was the broccoli, cooked for only 2.5 minutes in boiling water with salt and a splash of fresh orange juice. Crunchy, fresh and totally delicious.