You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Under 18's vs Derby County

Allan

After a good 1-0 victory down in Pompey, the lads will be looking build on their decent start to the league campaign, with a home game against the Rams.

The game is available to watch online via eSeason ticket, and via the offal TV channel.

Coverage starts at 11:30, with kick off at 12:00.

Halftime; Liverpool 1 Derby 0.

The lads deserve their lead, and probably should be 2-0 up.

The lads in commentary have described the game well using just one word, competitive. There's been plenty of hard work, with some nice passages of play mixed in, from both sides.

Morgan, Dunn, Mukendi and Regan have been the stand out players for us in the first half. I'd like to see Lussey and Hatch put their foot on the ball a bit more in the second half, but credit to Derby, they are closing space down well.

They've yet to really test Jamie Stephens, though they've had a couple of efforts drift wide of the keeper's left hand post. I'm not convinced with Stephens, and he seems reluctant to put his foot through the ball at times when it is needed, opting instead to play the ball short and putting defenders under unnecessary pressure.

I think this will be a transitional year for the u18s, it's early days but there doesn't seem to be the depth of talent in this group as there was last year. The 2nd years who couldn't get in the side last year aren't making that much of an impact at the moment (Morgan aside) and need to show an example for the younger guys. Baio, Lussey and Dunn have impressed out of the first years. It'll probably be the second half of the season before we see the best of this side.

Having said that, they're victims of their own success. You throw Robinson, Smith, Sterling, Suso and Silva (who are all still eligible) into the squad and it's a hell of a lot stronger.

Good points them.

It's also boss for the lads to be given a difficult task as opposed to just battering sides. Derbys number 9 today, for example, has already played 6 times in the league for Derby and that'll have helped him which, in turn, will have taught our centre halves a thing or two.

Shows how good last years first year crop were. Not saying that this years isn't theres still some class players there.

Well to be fair, last year (Morgan, Smith, Silva and Belford aside) the most effective players were second or third year. The season before last it took a while before the team really took off (with Silva, Sterling and Ince pulling side apart, while Flanagan started to improve rapidly and Coady, Robinson and Wisdom started to boss things).

Sama, Adorjan, Roddan, McGiveron and Ngoo are all third year now. Adorjan is the stand out there and we only didn't see much of him because in his first year (I think he was on loan from MTK then) he had a bad injury. Great decision by the team at the time (I seem to remember McParland and MacMahon talking about how good he was and how they wanted to bring him in permanently so he could have another chance and show what he could do).

The point is, bar the odd exception (Sterling, most obviously, and Silva - who is younger than I thought.. a rare case of a 15 year old breaking into the under 18s/reserves scene early, I guess) the first year talent will take a while to really get used to the new level. Dunn, Lussey, Baio, Moli, Petersen, Gainford, Wilson will all grow through this season, they all seem talented to me. If you really want honours ... i'd be looking at next season to be honest. This year is a team mainly defined by first years playing against third years. Yesterday Ball is a first team squad player for Derby, called back into the team because they are playing Liverpool. If we did that (or Utd) we'd win the league at a canter, but it would hold back players like Robinson who will learn more by being with the first team.

The second years that are playing more now are getting their chance and that's only right. Early impressions? (I'm sure Dave and Dynamite have more informed views on these players).

Aylmer impresses me, I like how he doesn't take any prisoners and seems a handy player too, shades of Irwin/Spearing to me.

Rafferty - Surprised to see him pushed up to the reserves as he didn't play much last year. I like him and he and Regan seem like the natural captains.

Regan - Should be with the reserves and playing instead of Mendy imo (although Mendy has improved vastly, so maybe I'm being harsh).

Hatch - horrible injury last year held him back, but not sure about him, good passer and has good timing, but not the most assertive player.

Sumner and Walsh - bags and bags of skill but both hold on to the ball too much for me, both are often muscled out as well.

Mukendi - handy player, seems a great character, but not clinical enough as yet.

King - really no idea as yet. Seems okay, but is to Smith what Smith is to Robinson. No doubt has talent, but is always going to be in the shadow of what came before.

We've still got a few lads to come in. I'd like to see Mclaughlan get a run at right back when he's fit, so we've at least got one natural full back; it'd be good to see what Nacho can do when he gets clearance (why's that still not sorted?) and Petersen will be a good player on the right of the three when fit.

Baio, Lussey, Dunn, Petersen, Nacho/Gainford and Morgan/Moli should be a productive midfield and attack. With respect to Hatch, Mukendi, Quirk and Sumner they're probably more squad players at the moment when everyone is available.

What happened to that Pelosi, btw? Has he signed?

Dunn's goal was brilliant. Our philosophy as fans should be the same as the club's which is not to build these up too early but have to say I really like the look of him and to my relatively uneducated eye he looks like he has all the attributes to push on rapidly.

Lussey and Aylmer impressive too