You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Buying a car...

JagSquared

Ive done a search but cant find a thread on this suprisingly. Now im a novice and Im looking to replace my 99 T reg Ford Fiesta 1.25 as I have racked up close to 150k miles on it.

I think I could stretch my budget to about £5k and am not adverse to looking at finance options but I have no idea whats best.

Things I want:

Good MPG - I maybe potentially starting a new job (just waiting for clearances) which will mean the punishing 20k miles i did a year on the fiesta wont be an issue anymore as I will catch a train. I will do less than 10k a year as the folks are a fair way away.

5 Door - Sick of having to get out of the car to let people in.

Decent Drive - Anything will be better than the Fiesta but im going to be doing a few motorway journeys so want something comfortable.

Low Milage - Maximum around 40k, may be flexible but dont want something I will have to replace in 2 years.

Reliable and Cheap to run - Ronseal.

Im not too fussed about it being "cool" asim not a boy racer but want something that isnt too old.

So where do I start? What do you recommend?

Ahhh gay. I used the forum search function and thought Im sure Ive seen threads on this. Google.. well.. cheers.

Size-wise Im looking for something bigger than my fiesta and thought about Diesel but if im doing less than 10k is it worth it?

It all depends on engine size with a diesel I think.Iiv got a 2L Mondao and its diesel and it cost less money over the month to use that my big fat ass Focus did which was a 1.6.

Some bargins around if you look, from past experience with Miss RRs car dont go private as we done a HPI check it come back clear then we found out that it was a write off, the HPI payed out like but its a hassle we could have done without. at least if you buy from a dealer you know where they are and you will hopefully get warrenty.

as for cheap to run etc Ford and Vauxhall are good as parts are cheap if you need to replace anything.

As many will say though German is best by far.

Ive done a search but cant find a thread on this suprisingly. Now im a novice and Im looking to replace my 99 T reg Ford Fiesta 1.25 as I have racked up close to 150k miles on it.

I think I could stretch my budget to about £5k and am not adverse to looking at finance options but I have no idea whats best.

Things I want:

Good MPG - I maybe potentially starting a new job (just waiting for clearances) which will mean the punishing 20k miles i did a year on the fiesta wont be an issue anymore as I will catch a train. I will do less than 10k a year as the folks are a fair way away.

5 Door - Sick of having to get out of the car to let people in.

Decent Drive - Anything will be better than the Fiesta but im going to be doing a few motorway journeys so want something comfortable.

Low Milage - Maximum around 40k, may be flexible but dont want something I will have to replace in 2 years.

Reliable and Cheap to run - Ronseal.

Im not too fussed about it being "cool" asim not a boy racer but want something that isnt too old.

So where do I start? What do you recommend?

Buy a BMW 3 or 5 series.

I bought a 3-Series as my first car with about 70,000 on the clock for about 6K grand. They just go on forever and are ace and because they're so common, you will have plenty of choice.

Buy a BMW 3 or 5 series.

I bought a 3-Series as my first car with about 70,000 on the clock for about 6K grand. They just go on forever and are ace and because they're so common, you will have plenty of choice.

Agree completely. Fantastic cars, these. I've had 3 of them over the years and they've all been brilliant, especially the diesels. If you're not bothered about the name, another one to consider is a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TD. Bomb-proof mechanically and tough as nails, hence the amount of cabbies who run them.

Buy a BMW 3 or 5 series.

Agree completely. Fantastic cars, these. I've had 3 of them over the years and they've all been brilliant, especially the diesels. If you're not bothered about the name, another one to consider is a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TD. Bomb-proof mechanically and tough as nails, hence the amount of cabbies who run them.

I'd agree with both of these, I'd also add an Audi A4 1.9TDI.

Cheers chaps. I think the £6k might be pushing it as im already stretching to get £5k.

Will look at the insurance estimates for both BMW 3 series and Octavia. Just got a renewal letter for my fiesta at £1k yeah bollocks to that.

What the fuck?

How old are you? What convictions do you have?

I have 3 bans, own an Audi A6 2.4 V6 and pay less than that.

I have a 3-series too and while they are fantastic cars, with excellent reliability, they aren't exactly cheap to run, even if you buy an older one under £5000. If you are getting quoted £1000 insurance on a Fiesta, you will get absolutely rinsed on a BMW. I would say, based on the info in the OP, a 1.6 diesel Ford Focus would be the best choice. A Ford might not seem the most inspired choice on the face of it, but in the last 10 years the quality of their products is up there with the best, at a fraction of the cost of the premium brands.

Yep thats the direction im going in too Trumo.

My insurance is a right rip off. I am 26 been driving for just over 3 years and the only claim I have made was last year when I got a huge great big crack in my windscreen. No convictions and live in a centre of a sleepy seaside town.

Can you explain this please?

Does it mean that living in or close to city or town centres is a massive no no?

The smaller the number in the first part of your postcode, the closer you live to the town/city centre. Living closer to the centre is considered a higher risk as it is more densely populated so the chances of something happening are that much greater. That doesn't necessarily mean postcodes with a higher number than 3 are low risk, because it also depends on how big the town/city is.

Focus Zetec. Had 4, great cars to drive.

Same here, the only cars i've not managed to break, worst i ever had to was to have a clutch replaced and 115k on one.

Bullet proof and cheap to repair / maintain.

The 1.7 tdci is torquey as fuck i do 50 mile a day round trip and get a comfortable 42 mpg, and i drive my cars hard !