You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carra & Gerrard

Ynwa20

Contentious this one but, time to play less of an important role in the team?

It's probably a bit knee jerk with Carra to be fair.

With Gerrard, I've thought he's been on the wane for a while, the team seems to play more poorly with him- always looking to him for a miracle. Perhaps that's a throwback to the Benitez era and can be coached out or entirely dissipated through the arrival of so many new players. Either way, I'd certainly take any money 20m+.

As I say, contentious, but no room for sentimentality.

Guest TK-421

They're clearly both fucked for good. Like those women what synchronise their blood weeks, happens to them in tandem. We should accept it and move on. We all dream of a teams of Coates's.

Oh god, this again.

Anyone would think some of our fans are eagerly counting down the days til these legends are no longer playing football. All queueing up round the block to write them off at every opportunity.

Knobs. They'll be in the first team a while longer yet, and involved in some way with LFC for a fuckload longer than that.

With Gerrard, I've thought he's been on the wane for a while, the team seems to play more poorly with him- always looking to him for a miracle. Perhaps that's a throwback to the Benitez era and can be coached out or entirely dissipated through the arrival of so many new players. Either way, I'd certainly take any money 20m+.

Like against Napoli where a good team performance fell apart once he got on?

Guest San Don

No room for sentimentality. Negged.

yeah, Gerrard has been on the wane for 12 months or so, its got absolutely fuck all to do with him playing in the worst Liverpool side in years under the worst Liverpool manager EVER whilst playing with an injury for a while too, before eventually going in for his op. Gerrard will be awesome in this side, wherever he plays. He's got better players around him with much more movement around him and more freedom.Seriously, just fuck off.

camera panned to him at the Bolton game and commentator asked how will he get back into the team on his return if we keep playing well

Wilkins replied "quite comfortably i would imagine"

hes dead right too.

Even Wilkins has more functioning brain cells than the OP. Amazing.

Gerrard is obviously our 2nd best player so talk of dropping him is rubbish.

Carra probably needs to be rested more often but I still see him being in the 1st XI until 2013. I think he's declined badly, but we really have no-one better unless Coates comes good.

You bin thinkin wrong boy.

Two different situations.

Gerrard - if the operation has been successful there is no reason whatsoever why he can't come back to be a top notch player for us. The team has moved on and the talent is spread around a bit more, but this will all play into Stevie's hands and prolong his time at the very top. I expect him to come in and do very well.

Carra - many have been too quick to bury him over the past few years. He has been fantastic and has dragged the very most out of his talent and has been one of the best defenders in the league for years. However, Old Father Time catches up all of us, and I think that is starting with Jamie. But that doesn't mean he is finished. He has an important role to play, both as a player and also as an experienced defender who can welcome the likes of Coates, pass on his know-how about life at Liverpool and the Premier League in general, and then phase out as the new man phases in. There is no need for an abrupt line that says 'you're out and he is in'. I expect one to diminish as the other grows through this season. And if Jamie prolongs it beyond that, it is down to his incredible professionalism and never say die attitude. Top player, but the end is getting nearer, and it's OK to say that.

The reason, imho, that Gerrard has had so many problems, is that he has always been rushed back to play because the team needed him. However now, he can have a proper rest and not be rushed back.

As for Carra, yes he is getting older, his legs getting tired and slowing up a bit. Still quality though and i guess he will know when to give up.

No. They're both superb players and, along with Suarez and Reina, our most important. Without leaders like them you become Arsenal.

It is an excellent point, also what the mancs have been able to do over the years is get the best out of the players longevity wise. My only issue is in the past we have played Gerrard when he has not been 100% fit, hopefully this will not need to be done in the future.

Also if Gerrard packs in international football after 2012, this should help lessen the load on his body. The great players have always been able to encounter old father time with adapting their game. There has been no more versatile player than Gerrard, so all this talk is certainly presumptuous.

No room for sentimentality. Negged.

I would agree with there being no room for sentiment. Sammy Lee left in the summer which was a shame but it's that ruthless streak which we've lacked at the club. We can't just have people hanging around on reputation or what they've done in the past - they need to be able to contribute now. Who's more important to LFC and Kenny now; Steve Clarke or Sammy Lee? Clarke was and Sammy left.

The reason Kenny's in the job is because he's still got a lot to offer, and he's the right man for the job, rather than for sentiment. Carra and Gerrard have still got a lot to offer for at least the course of their current contracts and we should enjoy them while they are still playing here. But if we want to get back to the top again then there is no room for sentiment. Everything should be on merit.

To prolong their careers here then Carra may be best served as a bit-part player soon like Sami was and saved for the big games; and Gerrard may have to play the captain cockout role from his later United days, if injuries catch up with him.

Disappointing responses, some of them.

I mentioned letting Gerrard go for 20+ (ideally abroad). When we got a player of Suarez' quality for a similar fee, the suggestion has merit. Luis is likely to contribute more in the next 5 years: either on the pitch or through a huge profit.