You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"He's having a holocaust"

chauncey

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I hear the word 'holocaust', I don't automatically think of what Adolf did. I think of that awesome scene in T2 where Sarah Conner is dreaming and gets nuked until she's a pile of bones. That was fucking brutal.

I think of badgers. But that's because I am always thinking about badgers.

Going by his newspaper column I read when I was back in England (was it The Times?) I thought Cascarino came across as one of the more educated footballers.

I haven't got a clue what he is like as a pundit, but he has obviously chosen the wrong word there. Still, I think there is a sort of moral indignation that sweeps to the fore that gets out of control and demands a head on a platter. I don't think there's any need for that. A simple apology should suffice, and we all move on.

It will soon be impossible to say anything without some sensitive soul being offended.

That's outrageous. Absolutely outrageous. To spout this sort of prejudiced nonsense on a public forum is unforgivable. I've reported your post.

I can't express how irritated I get when people put this down to some sort of competition to be more outraged. It's pure bollocks, and seems a lazy way to try and look edgy.

People are well within their rights to be pissed off by this and it's not because of a fucked up moral compass.

The thing about the holocaust is that it's a lot less funny when you've read some Holocaust testimony or seen the kids shoes piled up at Auschwitz.

Personally I think that with any jokes of sensitive nature there's something out there to offend everyone, and humour oughtn't be restricted on that basis. But there's a remarkably ironic autocracy in demanding that people don't get offended - or complain - because they don't like the idea behind people joking about the death of 6 million people. It's at least as fair as being allowed to make the joke in the first place.

Having said all that, I think the most offensive thing about jokes of that nature is how unfunny they are. They all operate on the same 'shock value' structure and they're generally made by people who fall-back on that kind of humour because they have no appreciation of, or idea how employ, any genuine wit.

I think of badgers. But that's because I am always thinking about badgers.

Is Chicken Licken linking the Jewish Holocaust to Armageddon? when i think of Nukes scene in T2, i think of the biblical reference or Armageddon, not that shite Bruce Willis movie.

I dont think any single culture has the right to appropriate the word, i the context of World War II, it should always be preceded with 'Jewish'. i concede the reference does automatically lead the majority of people to this one particular incident.

Looking at the evidence Cascarino is a bit thick and the reference was probably meant in this way. Typical knee jerk media reaction will ensue and the moral outrage bandwagon is rolling.

Maybe he can ask for a 'Mulligan', .... he is irish after all.

Pathetic.

Holocaust - Destruction or slaughter on a mass scale, esp. caused by fire or nuclear war: "a nuclear holocaust"

Fuck off.

You can't be trying to suggest it has no connotations to the Nazi genocide of over 11 million people during WW2?

I must have misunderstood.

You can't be trying to suggest it has no connotations to the Nazi genocide of over 11 million people during WW2?

I must have misunderstood.

It's no doubt deliberatly been interpreted that way by the angry mob as an excuse to have a bitch, but the word predates the Second World War and to my mind implies the feeling of cataclysmic, mass destruction.

The term holocaust comes from the Greek word holókauston, an animal sacrifice offered to a god in which the whole (holos) animal is completely burnt (kaustos).

For hundreds of years, the word "holocaust" was used in English to denote great massacres, but since the 1960s, the term has come to be used by scholars and popular writers to refer exclusively to the genocide of Jews

As an aside, 'The Holocaust' only refers to the killing of six millions jews by the Nazis, not the non-Jews, something which used to greatly upset my college history teacher, and no, he wasn't a nazi!

I dont think any single culture has the right to appropriate the word, i the context of World War II, it should always be preceded with 'Jewish'. i concede the reference does automatically lead the majority of people to this one particular incident.

They didn't really nick it, theirs is capitalized. Your bog standard murder by fire and stuff is uncapitalized.

It's no doubt deliberatly been interpreted that way by the angry mob as an excue to have a bitch, but the word predates the Second World War and to my mind implies the feeling of cataclysmic, mass destruction.

As an aside, 'The Holocaust' only refers to the killing of six millions jews by the Nazis, not the non-Jews, something which used to greatly upset my college history teacher, and no, he wasn't a nazi!

I understand the word has a classic definition, but these days it's widely accepted as the term to describe the horrific events of slaughter by the Nazis in WW2; and in my opinion is broadly used to describe the mass genocide of not only the 6 million Jews, but gypsies, homosexuals, pow's, soviets etc..

I don't think it's been blown out of the water or that people are expressing faux-outrage. I think it was extremely insensitive and Cascarino, as a tv pundit, should know better.