You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard & his impending return

109_ultra

Looks like he's due back for the next game at Stoke and whilst we're all trying not to get carried away after the start we've made you could be forgiven for almost forgetting we have a proven world class player to come back in.

But just where does he fit in now? This is no longer a team which is totally dependant on his goals like years gone by and with Kenny in charge i'm sure his influence on the tactics will be non-existent.

He no longer has the positional sense or tackling ability required to sit in front of the back four and I don't think he can play off a lone striker as he did with Torres as a Carroll/Suarez partnership is the long term plan. That leaves right midfield which I think is his best position, he crosses better than anyone in the league and had arguably his best season at the club in that position in 05/06.

The impact of Gerrard's return on our season is huge. When he does come back will he still be taking all the free kicks, penalties and corners? How will he react to no longer having the carte blanche free roll position he managed to fashion for himself under Rafa? It will drive us onto even better things or it could be counter-productive to all that is good about the current set-up.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kenny will pick the team he feels is most capable of winning the match. For example against Stoke, it might suit to play Carroll with all their set-pieces. And Skrtel at right back if Kelly does not recover.

But on Gerrard. I believe Kenny's midfield will be Lucas and Adam when both fit. Out of the he three attacking positions and the striker position, one place is up for grabs. I believe Gerrard, Downing and Suarez are the only three guaranteed to play when fully fit, so that leaves one position for Kuyt, Henderson and Carroll. I'd imagine we'll see them, and maybe Bellamy, rotated in and out of the team this season.

Club have said from the start he'll be back mid-september. If he isnt back for stoke, then he will be at spurs.

Seems everyone has gerrard starting when fit but how does he get in if the team today keeps doing the damage? Its not just the balance of team either, i'm not sure how gerrard being benched will effect the dynamics of the dressing room.

I think he'll be used in either Henderson's or Adam's role when he gets back. Whether they deserve to make way for him will be another matter entirely.

He is still one of the best players in the league so I think its safe to assume he will deserve his place in front of them two and pretty much anyone else in the squad.

I can't fucking wait til he's fit and back in the team.

King should ask Gerrard where he would like to play, and play him there.. It's Steven Gerrard for goodness sake!

And it's Kenny Dalglish for goodness sake! The King decides who plays when and where they play. Stevie is captain and our second greatest ever player. That is superseded (yeah I thought there was a "c" in that too) by our manager and greatest ever player.

Good thing is Kenny doesn't have to rush him back, can put him on the bench and ease him back in to the team, nice to have alternatives

Brilliant ain't it, I was just looking at the bench yesterday how strong it looked and that was without Gerrard Raul and Johnson, and with Coates and maybe not to sure it seems Bellamy, we look very strong

Don't get your hopes up that he'll be the same player.

The injury he's had was utterly horrendous and very, very difficult to treat.

Even the simple fact he's getting older will mean he can't do what he used to do. I don't expect to see him in a free role, playing behind the striker or getting up and down the pitch, but that's what the likes of Henderson are for now. I can see Gerrard moving into a central role and being asked to provide the spark of creativity with his passing. He's still, and always was, the best passer of a ball in the league.