You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

433 you thinking chief?

A 4-1-2-1-2. A diamond with a mobile DM who can ping balls about, Allen and Hendo, then Coutinho as No.10.

• Downvote 1

A 4-1-2-1-2. A diamond with a mobile DM who can ping balls about, Allen and Hendo, then Coutinho as No.10.

I think that would be best for Hendo, Allen and Coutinho.

Only problem with it is our mass load of wide attacking midfielders/forwards and lack of good strikers.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Do we have a load of wide players? Sterling, best played centrally IMO, Markovic... Ibe breaking through...

A 433 could work, but really its the same in practice unless you put Coutinho as one of the midfield 3. Too weak IMO.

Do we have a load of wide players? Sterling, best played centrally IMO, Markovic... Ibe breaking through...

A 433 could work, but really its the same in practice unless you put Coutinho as one of the midfield 3. Too weak IMO.

Well I guess Sterling can play striker or 10. Then you've got Markovic, Lallana and Ibe all as potential attacking midfielders and better than our current 2nd or 3rd choice strikers. They can't all play as 10.

If you play a 3421, 433 or 4231 more get on the pitch.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Well I guess Sterling can play striker or 10. Then you've got Markovic, Lallana and Ibe all as potential attacking midfielders and better than our current 2nd or 3rd choice strikers. They can't all play as 10.

If you play a 3421, 433 or 4231 more get on the pitch.

Yeah, I agree centrally, but you said wide and I couldn't really think of many. I think Coutinho and Sturridge should be locked in to start. Unless you play Coutinho as part of a three man midfield, that only leaves one place. Markovic isn't worth having a weaker middle, imo, and Lallana isn't any use out wide because his lack of searing pace.

I think the problem is,and it affects Joe Allen in a way too,is our refusal to make a DM a priority in any recent transfer windows. So far we have shoehorned in a club legend who did an admirable job but just wasnt as effective as he could be elsewhere,an injury hit and out of favour Lucas Leiva(still the best DM we currently have IMO) and Joe Allen,who is a tidy player but not anywhere near the type of standard DM needed for regular CL football.

Henderson is a good lad and a good player.

But he will give a 6.5 performance on average each week. Sometimes this can be as low as 4.5 but at best he will never be more than a 8.5 player.

Skrtel will give a 7 performance on average but sometimes he will hit a 9/10 performance. He will never go lower than a 6.5 IMO.

Henderson is a merely good midfielder who I think is constrained by his fundamental ability.

Running and pointing can only ever get you so far as a central midfielder. 

Consequently not captain material. 

• Upvote 1

Henderson is a good lad and a good player.

But he will give a 6.5 performance on average each week. Sometimes this can be as low as 4.5 but at best he will never be more than a 8.5 player.

Skrtel will give a 7 performance on average but sometimes he will hit a 9/10 performance. He will never go lower than a 6.5 IMO.

Henderson is a merely good midfielder who I think is constrained by his fundamental ability.

Consequently not captain material. 

Agreed. 

The current squad reminds me of the Evans era. Some decent players who occasionally excite you and make you hope we could kick on and become a great side, but when they come up against top class opposition look painfully average. 

Gerrard's decline not withstanding, we haven't had a top class midfielder since Mascherano left. 

• Upvote 1

If you think the limit of his ability is "running and pointing" then we are watching two different players.

Agreed. 

The current squad reminds me of the Evans era. Some decent players who occasionally excite you and make you hope we could kick on and become a great side, but when they come up against top class opposition look painfully average. 

Gerrard's decline not withstanding, we haven't had a top class midfielder since Mascherano left. 

As I've said elsewhere, we have a squad where all our most important attackers are incredibly inconsistent and prone to complete off-days where they struggle to pick out a pass or trap the ball (Sturridge, Coutinho, Sterling, Lallana, Markovic), and our main midfielders are bland, stolid, 6 or 7 out of 10 players almost every single game (Henderson, Allen, Lucas) who can't really be relied on to step up when our attacking players disappear.

Add the full backs who struggle with positioning and flatter to deceive in attack (Johnson, Moreno, Enrique) and you have a team that can is not bad, per se, but the type of side that can go on a decent run after stinking the place out for weeks on end. And then back again.

• 3 weeks later...