You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Only a matter of time before its official, and i am wondering how people see us shaping up with this kid in the team (with Agger fit).

Is he going to be a bit part player for the first season until he understands what is coming out of Carras face hole when his head turns purple. Or is he going to push a senior player out theres no doubt he has the ability to.

Does this mean one of our senior centre backs could be on the way out? with rumours of Marty to Russia.

£7million Coates is a "very good piece of business" - YouTube

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think it all depends how well he plays when he comes in. If he is, as most will expect, a very good player and aerially dominant, I think he can command a place. However, if he struggles, then maybe he'll be eased in.

i honestly dont see anyone coming in and taking carras spot, not this year anyway. the defence without JC is weakened regardless of who replaces him. his organising, moaning and general aggressive nature means we continue to need this general at the back. he is the real captain on the pitch

He'll definitely get a shock regarding the tempo here, and I expect him to be given the runaround in his first few competetive games against quick, skilful attackers. If we can persist with him and not get on his back, though, we'll be set for the next decade in one of the CB positions.

Unlike Cahill, who's merely a very good CB, Coates has the potential to be a massive hit and turn out to be one of the best in the business! From the couple of games I watched him in the Copa and the glimpses I've caught on Youtube, he'll save us atleast 6 pts a season on his aerial ability alone. He's one of those defenders you just know you're going to hit with your cross (a bit like Vidic, Kompany and Vermaelen), it's almost like they are having a device in/on their heads, sucking the ball towards them.

His passing along the ground seems to be very good as well, and even if he's more in the Carra mould than Agger regarding clearances, I think he can be taught/encouraged to play the right way.

My only other fear (than our fans labelling him as clumsy and getting on his back), is that he won't be aggressive enough (fear of being caught out). That was the only criticism one could direct towards Sami (even in his prime), but he never had the luxury of playing with a really quick CB next to him. If we can get such a player in, I think we may soon have heard the last of the "best CB pairing in the league/world" everytime the Mancs are on...

i honestly dont see anyone coming in and taking carras spot, not this year anyway. the defence without JC is weakened regardless of who replaces him. his organising, moaning and general aggressive nature means we continue to need this general at the back. he is the real captain on the pitch

If Coates plays, I think it will be next to Agger (or Skrtel, if/when Agger is out). Seems like this lad is fond of talking on the pitch too, so as long as he learns the language quickly, phasing out Carra may take less time than most on here hope...

Oh, and the bit in bold is true about 4 times every season, against the Blueshite and the Mancs. Imo Carra's world class qualities are his positional play (resulting in those famous last ditch tackles/blocks) and communication skills. While those two won't get lost with age (more likely strengthened), his other flaws have become (and will increase with age) more and more apparent. How many times the last 3-4 seasons (bar the fixtures mentioned) has he stepped infront of an attacker intercepting the ball? How many headers has he won under pressure in the box(es)?

While Carra's leadership qualities (and cult status) will be sorely missed, I think the transition will go very smoothly once it gets underway (as I stated in the above post, Coates will need 5-10 games to "get the league"). As long as the locals (and the TLW Carriban) don't get on his back (because it's their biggest hero taking the cull) we'll be much stronger for it in the medium and long term.

Only a matter of time before its official, and i am wondering how people see us shaping up with this kid in the team (with Agger fit).

Is he going to be a bit part player for the first season until he understands what is coming out of Carras face hole when his head turns purple. Or is he going to push a senior player out theres no doubt he has the ability to.

Does this mean one of our senior centre backs could be on the way out? with rumours of Marty to Russia.

£7million Coates is a "very good piece of business" - YouTube

I can see Kenny putting this lad straight in after a few sub appearances. It will be him and Agger (if he can stay fit) and next season Hummels will be in and Carra out. Marty? On the bench sonny till you get some consistency to your game.

Tor-Kristian Karlsen, who's normally pretty clued up, was talking about him the other day. Says he is technically excellent, extremely comfortable on the ball, passes well & a very calm defender. Negative was that he prefers to defend deep rather than push up on opponents. Pretty sure that Clark can take that out of his game (and may not be a huge problem if playing alongside Carra anyway)

coaaaa coughs phlem aaaahtees like jooosseee enreeeques could turn out to be a very clever bit of buisness by our kenneth if Dann is 12 mill and Cahill 15 mill plus

It may be that Bolton have to settle for less, if he's a free agent at the end of this season. Depends on them having the balls to watch him walk away for free, having got another season out of him.