You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShoePiss

It's really uncomfortable watching the news when they have a local reporter on the ground 'showing' us the conditions. They had some wanker in the sea with wind and waves all around him then patched in a phone interview with the mayor. Went like this:-

Mayor "blah blah dangerous etc"

Reporter " so have people complied with the warnings?"

Mayor "pretty much yes, now get out of that damn water and get to safety"

Reporter "laughs"

OK last report. Just typed a huge long report for you and computer / site fucked it ! so here is a much shorter one. sorry.

Just got electric back on. Irene didn't hammer us. No Hudson mega flood. We got 3 feet flooding ine the street, tree down, not much wind quite a bit of rain, nothing terrible.

Thank fuck, all hurricanes can be a bitch if they want to be. The river was near enough to fuck us up so I'm glad it's cool.

My thoughts are with the people who weren't so lucky when they met Irene. Some in the Caribbean and U.S also lost homes businesses and lives.

Thanks for reading, stay safe. Iceman out.

Lots of trees down here but we were to the East of the eye so did not get as much rain (maybe 3-6 inches?) as the people West of the eye. Slightly worrying because of the number of large tree's next to my house but nothing too bad. I didn't lose electricity but a number of people I know have. A large tree came down near my house but luckily it was on a small side street linking my street to another and there was no electrical lines there.

Lost leccy for an hour or so. Not too bad. Was hoping for some more destruction. Trees somersaulting into cars, etc. Fucking poofter of a hurricane that was.

Dead right mate. Soft cunts and drama queens.

Every report I saw on the news had some solemn faced reporter talking about "huge winds" and "terrible destructive forces"...well where the fuck was it ??!!

Seriously pissed down harder round here at the end of last week.

A poofterishness quotient of 110.

Bachmann Campaign: Bachmann Spoke 'In Jest' When She Said God Was Communicating Via Earthquakes And Hurricanes | TPMDC

Tea Party presidential candidate coming out again with something like this. Fucking hell.

Bachmann Campaign: Bachmann Spoke ‘In Jest’ When She Said God Was Communicating Via Earthquakes And Hurricanes

Evan McMorris-Santoro | August 29, 2011, 9:44AM

Michele Bachmann

Read More

2012 Presidential Primaries, 2012 elections, Earthquake, Hurricane Irene, Michele Bachmann

Rep. Michele Bachmann's (R-MN) presidential campaign says critics are making much ado about nothing when it comes to her viral quote stating last week's East Coast earthquake and hurricane was a message from God to overspending DC politicians.

TPM SLIDESHOW: Meet the 2012 GOPers: Michelle Bachmann

"Obviously she was saying it in jest," campaign spokesperson Alice Stewart told TPM in a statement.

The quote, made by Bachmann at a Florida campaign rally over the weekend, is making headlines across the Internet and TV.

Here's what she said, as reported by the St. Petersburg Times:

"I don't know how much God has to do to get the attention of the politicians. We've had an earthquake; we've had a hurricane. He said, 'Are you going to start listening to me here?' Listen to the American people because the American people are roaring right now. They know government is on a morbid obesity diet and we've got to rein in the spending."

Here's video of the moment from CNN this morning, which played it as a joke. But the St. Petersburg Times did not report it as a joke, and it made the rounds this morning as a straight quote.

Her campaign insists it was all in good fun.

Katia should make cat 1 tomorrow.. its the name there replaced Katrina with after it retired.. looks like this is going to be far more eventful then.. that so called hurricane the other day..

should be cat 4 on Sunday.. then well few days later..usa where will it hit..

Track Tropical Storm Katia / Stormpulse / Hurricanes, severe weather, tracking, mapping

Edited by lfcwonderboy1

tbh that storm was pretty bad but was hyped up too much beforehand. 40-50 dead, millions without electricity, massive flooding in some areas, houses/business destroyed, $7-10 billion in damage, tree's down all over the place.

Yes Beantown it was no joke and it's a tragedy for anyone who has lost relatives and loved ones but the storm itself and it's impact on U.S was nowhere near as bad as they were hyping it up to be.

It's The Weather Channel and the media as a whole and "The boy who cried wolf" comes to mind. Trouble is when there is something to really worry about and take serious action over, the public can become so desensitized they don't take heed.

• 7 years later...